Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I find myself in need of a way to move dirt from place to place on the farm. I have ran the pros and cons on all of these but not one of them have jumped out as the winner any thoughts?

Dump trailer
manure spreader - both of these take larger areas to turn around and get stuck easily
sub 6k market place dump truck - will need to be 4x4, requires additional upkeep for my fleet
putting dump bed on my Ram - kills future gooseneck plans
putting dump insert in my Ram - limits load and kills future gooseneck plans

trying to stay sub $6K on this setup.

RBB

· Premium Member
3,677 Posts
There is no perfect solution. However i found a dump trailer really handy. No constant up keep expenses i.e. insurance, self propelled system. Plus its multi purpose because you can still use trailer to haul tractor, lumber, materials, smaller vehicles. Handy for moving brush as well. If you get the work done and dont see a need for it anymore. You'll hardly ever take a loss on selling a used trailer.

· I'll Direc your TV
9,434 Posts
another vote for a dump trailer; if you can find a used one. Hardly ever see them for sale, but that's because they're worth it.

What about making your own dump trailer? How much dirt do you generally need to haul?

Reactions: 9T4YJ

· Registered
238 Posts
I vote dump trailer. Assuming you're only going to use it a couple times a year, it will give you the best capacity without having a dedicated dump truck. Not just by volume, but by weight. That's the big one a lot of people will forget. Regardless the size of your pickup bed, or your rating (1/2, 3/4, 1ton), the actual weight capacity isn't much, and a dump insert is going to suck up a lot of it. A 1/2 ton pickup truck can only take about 1200-1500 pounds or so in the bed, but it can pull a 2,000 pound dump trailer with 3-4,000 pounds of stuff in it.

· Low Range Drifter
8,788 Posts
I'd likely go dump trailer. Most have reasonable loads, which limits the need to make multiple trips. Seems like by time you take a 1-ton truck and subtract the weight of the dump box, you would end up only being able to handle small loads.

With Lou around, I'm guessing you can dump close enough and then have Lou or the new girl get the load over the finish line.

As a side benefit, you can still use the dump trailer for hauling other stuff. Probably won't double as a car hauler, but could move quads, sleds, and other household crap.

· Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with most of you on the dump trailer for the most part but I have used a friends dump trailer back there a few times and to date it has not gone well most of my trails are narrow with tight bends not exactly trailer friendly. In the spots where the trail widens out I have 1000 foot strips of mud bog, it has a solid bottom but you definitely want to hit it with some momentum or you are not going to make it, and pulling a trailer through it is some next level fun.

Wheel Tire Snow Truck Vehicle

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Car

Tire Wheel Plant Sky Automotive tire

Sky Water resources Plant Snow Natural landscape

Plant Vehicle Tire Hood Automotive tire

It will dry out back there but it will take 9 months or so, and I don't know if I want to burn that much calendar.

Plant Plant community Sky Road surface Nature

· I'll Direc your TV
9,434 Posts
Kinda answered your own question then seems like. What would you need to move dirt for if not to fix the mud hole roads? Seems like to me that eventually the plan would be to build up the trails, which a dump trailer would be used for.

I just don't like the thought of limiting a truck bed use by sticking an insert into it versus a trailer that can be used for multiple things and not just hauling material.

or are you thinking short term, need something to get through the muck the next couple years, kinda thing?

· Registered
939 Posts
I vote used dump truck... everyone talking about load capacity is thinking about it all wrong. If only using on your property for low speed driving things around, over loading it isn't a concern. When my old blue truck was still in commission we would load the fuck out of it with 2 face cord of green oak. Probably weighs in at over 6k lbs. Never broke anything just driving it around the property fully over loaded. I wouldn't hesitate to go dump truck in your shoes. An extra vehicle to take care of, that you only use a handful of times a year, won't be as big an impact as your buddy or family member always borrowing your dump trailer and bringing it back busted as shit. Especially if you don't need to register the truck for on road driving.

I wouldn't even consider the insert bed for your current truck. Waste of time energy and bed space, especially if you're going to get a gooseneck in the future.

Seems like you've made your mind up about the dump trailer. It doesn't look like it really helps you out for what you want to do.

Pics of fully over loaded truck in question. Fyi, my kids loaded that one and it's not nearly as tall as when i loaded it myself...
Tire Wheel Snow Plant Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Snow

· Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am all over the place on this one as I bought 900 tons of sand last year and could use around another 1,600 tons this year I spent around $7500 for sand and burned around 4 months of the calender waiting on others to deliver it. About 3/4 of a mile back I have a 15 foot tall mound of sand about 600 feet long that could be used up buy the house, if I can get this transportation problem fixed. I know moving that much ground will take some time but if I can knock out 2 or 3 loads a night for a couple months that can make a huge dent in it. At one point I thought I had a Belly Pan Scraper lined up for the task but the old Detroit Diesel powering it gave up the smoke, and buy the time I re-powered it and paid for a transporter to get it to the farm I would be over budget.

RBB

· Registered
374 Posts
I’ve gone through this dilemma many times as well…..even though I bought a dump truck….I still don’t have any actual real experiences with it as I bought a project dump truck and it still sits in the project vehicle lineup in my yard.
We have a lot of the same issues in common, gooseneck’s, tight trails, muddy areas….etc.

Both defiantly have there pros an cons but what came down to dump truck vs trailer for me was my dump truck could double as a backup winter driver should mine or the wife’s truck die in the middle of winter, as well as something else I can put my plow on an have as a backup plow rig as well.
What I saw as cons for dump trailer was
-wet yards/tight areas
-mooch buddys wanting to borrow it all the time, hence why I’d get a gooseneck dump if I did, limits the amount of borrowers
-another trailer in my driveway all summer (already have a 40’ gooseneck And a 38’ boat trailer, can only imagine having a 3rd trailer to move every time I need to re-arrange driveway)
-more tires to keep from getting sun baked and dry rotting.

I was able to find a 85 k30 chev, 6.2/th400, 4x4, nice clean contractors dump box with the fold down sides, that was in pretty nice shape….minus the mild under hood electrical fire, scored that for $1700

· Project Antitube
1,376 Posts
Find a manure trailer at auction. They have flotation tires and are real easy to deal with and are meant to be abused. They're usually cheap because the construction guys don't want a low speed trailer without a square bottom.

· Registered
267 Posts
Won't help you with maneuvering through the woods, but I bought a deckover 8'X14' dump trailer. It can haul my Jeep or K5 and the sides fold down if you need to fork a load onto it. I mainly use it for hauling firewood. About the most universal trailer you can get other than it being to short for some longer things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts