Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled out of the garage and heard a nice pop today. Took a quick look and didn't see anything obviously wrong so I got on my way. Got on the road and steering was off. Didn't think much of it thinking it was a tie rod gone bad. Got to work and took a look and the damn trac bar fell out on the axle end. :( Will I be ok to make it back home 15miles?

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
i have done it b4.. but u cant street properly it was a scary ride!

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah that's scary.

I personally wouldn't, did the bolt just fall out or did something break?
Looks like the bolt just fell out, but it may have snapped off in the nut. Can't tell since I am in my work clothes. It is wallowed out though in the front of the bracket which sucks.

not safe in the least bit... call a wrecker (seriously)
It was a wobbly ride in that's for sure. :(

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Give me a call if you want and we can weld a washer over that wallowed out hole, I had to do the same thing on my XJ. Shouldn't take more than an hour to pul out the bolt, grind it clean, weld a washer on and put it back together. PM me if you need my number, I'm off work until the 5th.

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
Sorta scary, basically your moving the axle over back and forth when you steer instead of the track bar stopping it and forcing the wheels to turn.

·
Its tough out there.
2,754 Posts
dam your having a rough patch with that thing. its time for a service inspection.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Give me a call if you want and we can weld a washer over that wallowed out hole, I had to do the same thing on my XJ. Shouldn't take more than an hour to pul out the bolt, grind it clean, weld a washer on and put it back together. PM me if you need my number, I'm off work until the 5th.
Thanks Mike!

dam your having a rough patch with that thing. its time for a service inspection.
Yeah no kidding. hit 150k and the wheels fall off. literally :whiz: Sad thing is that track bar was installed only 4000 miles ago and not by me. :(

·
RIP 2-15 12:20 AM
1,637 Posts
i had the same thing happen to me in my zj, crusin down the road and suddenly felt/herd a grinding noise and went to turn off the road and nothing happend got out and looked under my track bar fallen out but was still connected left me walkin home to get another bolt but ended up finding the damn one a mile away lol if you could keep the speeds under 25 and be careful u might get lucky if not then dont try it

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
dont do it. my cousin had it happen to him up in lansing, while he was making a left it broke on him, ended up going more straight then he wanted to, luckily not into any oncoming traffic

1 - 17 of 17 Posts