Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. so I don't know anything ... I'm told my driveshaft is bad and it will cost a million dollars to fix it .

Help. :teehee:

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,541 Posts
If you plan to wheel it's time for you to learn some mechanical abilities. The tools to change a u-joint can be bought for under $30. A u-joint costs about $15 & there are 2 on each driveshaft. So, for $60-100 you can do it yourself. My guess is you or a family member already has the tools.

Use the search function. I think there's a pretty good writeup on how to change one.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,541 Posts
Actually if you pull it out, most decent auto parts stores will swap out the joints for a few bucks if you buy them there.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If its the front driveshaft its not a ujoint shaft so all the ujoint talk will not apply. You will need to replace the shaft. If u have more questions PM me

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Newbie here. so I don't know anything ... I'm told my driveshaft is bad and it will cost a million dollars to fix it .
Properly define "bad". Your description is not very helpful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i took it to a shop they looked it over but did not actually say what the problem was, just stated they thought the front driveshaft was "bad" i can still drive it . it makes a loud klunking noise when going at idle speed, as of this morning it makes an even noisier klunking sound when at higher speed too. and this is in 2 wheel drive not 4 wheel

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
i took it to a shop they looked it over but did not actually say what the problem was
There's your problem right there. Did you go to the shop by yourself? As in, without a male?

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
i had a male with me and this is what we still got told
Okay. Shit like that is frequently a factor, but they could still be trying to sucker you into more work than is required. It is also possible that the shop really doesn't know what is wrong, but just that something is wrong and that it is related to the driveshaft.

Get a second opinion and be specific that you want to know what the actual problem is. As suggested previously, a damaged slip may require another shaft, but bad joints (regardless of joint style) may be repairable.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i would bet the front part of the driveshaft is rotting right off. thats what happened to me. but just in 2wd mine sounded like ball bearings rolling around and in 4wd one hell of a grinding noise. the shaft can not be rebuilt or fixed or anything u just need to get a new one

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,541 Posts
From your description, you have a HUGE time bomb ticking. You need to get it pulled out immediately or you could end up with more damage and be stranded on the side of the road.

·
sit down shut up and ...
4,510 Posts
Yup, pull the shaft and get another one. bring it over and I'll take a look. I gots lots o tools :naughty:

I haven't looked at anything KJ in a while but isn't there an upgrade for this ? go to a drive shaft with u-joints ?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have been looking for an upgrade and I can't seem to find one but if someone finds one please let me know as well

·
sit down shut up and ...
4,510 Posts
Alicia - I'll have to take a look at your rig. I'm interested in this one for some reason. And always willing to help a newbie :thumb:

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
What they are saying is correct. *IF* something completely breaks on your driveshaft (A U-joint breaks, or the shaft is rusting/seperating), then the piece of the broke driveshaft will still flail around and do major damage under the vehicle to anything within striking distance - floorboards, exhaust, brake lines, fuel lines, wiring, etc..

Also, the vibrations of the unbalanced shaft also can start to damage the bearings and seals in the transfer case and rear axle, causing more issues further down the line.

As noted, its pretty easy to remove a driveshaft, usually a pair of wrenches is all you need.

·
Wasn't this attached?
4,125 Posts
I spoke at length with KJDan about this when his was bad. Apparently it's some piss poor design on Jeeps part. I still wonder if a custom shaft could be made with standard cvs instead of whatever they have. It might be worth checking.

KJDan, how much did yours cost?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts