Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a set of drill bits...something GOOD that will drill through a truck frame without getting dull every pass. Any suggestions on a brand?

·
Registered
596 Posts
im not real sure but i know i havent broke any of them had those same bits for 2 years doing a lot of drillin so im not really sure

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I use Hertel bits. Just use the right lube and spin at the right rpm and learn how to sharpen them and they'll last many years.

·
No 4X4. :-(
455 Posts
What ever you do, don't get a DeWalt set. I got a set a while back and the first time drilling out rivets on a lower ball joint they were junk. F-ing things won't put a hole in hot butter now.

I might invest in those Irwin Cobalt ones. I saw those last time at the store and almost got them but wanted to research and see if they were worth a shit.

·
expert jeep disassembler
8,005 Posts
i posted earlier about the lamb drillbits. just so you know i am a pipefitter so i am using them on all sorts of materials. from aluminum to stainless and everything in between. normal store bought brands NEVER hold up for us. you will not find a better set of bits than the lambs. if you do let me know because i will buy some. if you dont mind spending a little cash dont buy bits from a hardware store, to put it bluntly, they suck!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Just use the right lube and spin at the right rpm and learn how to sharpen them and they'll last many years.

I also use Iriwn bits, and Snap On, and I'm often drilling large holes (I have drills up to 1.75 inch, and thats not the hole saws) in thick plates (often over 2 inch thick)...plus the service trucks I built each had something like 360 holes per truck, over 30 trucks...and often working on stainless, among other materials...had the same bits for about 5 years now I think...some are now starting to get short enough (been sharpened alot) that I need to be replacing them soon...the use I have put them through in that time is probably equal to what the average person working on thier own stuff will do in thier lifetime...

but the biggest things, like lgottler already said, is using the right RPM (most people I see ruin bits by going to fast), lubrication, and knowing how to sharpen them...I also have a drill doctor, although I would rather just use the bench grinder..if you cant sharpen them on the grinder, then get the drill doctor, definately..

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

·
Money pit
2,382 Posts
Looking for a set of drill bits...something GOOD that will drill through a truck frame without getting dull every pass. Any suggestions on a brand?
It doesn't matter what type of bit you have, it how it is sharpened. I work Tool & Die, I have a cheap set of bits, that I have had for 5+ years now, as long as you keep them sharp they will keep working right. If you looking for a really good set look for greenfield drill bits. I know our Cnc area uses them, I have a set of there numbered drill bits.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts