Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Gustafson
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Wow! Thank you for the write up bbaXJ! I tow a utility trailer from time to time, but I plan on purchasing another boat in the future (after I redo my patio) so maybe you're right, maybe i should just stick with 20s and either find take offs, or have these powder coated.

Thank you again, that write up was awesome!

· Yooper In Training
7,644 Posts
Don't bother trying to save the chrome wheels, once they're peeling it's game over. I've been stubborn enough to try to refurbish old chrome wheels twice now and trust me when I say it's only going to get worse. Sell them for what you can and buy anything but chrome. It doesn't hold up in the rust belt. That was the main reason I got rid of my factory wheels this summer, they started to deteriorate quickly already.

· F-U-CANCER!!!
6,032 Posts
Don't bother trying to save the chrome wheels, once they're peeling it's game over. I've been stubborn enough to try to refurbish old chrome wheels twice now and trust me when I say it's only going to get worse. Sell them for what you can and buy anything but chrome. It doesn't hold up in the rust belt. That was the main reason I got rid of my factory wheels this summer, they started to deteriorate quickly already.
Is there no good way to strip them and then powdercoat?

· Yooper In Training
7,644 Posts
Is there no good way to strip them and then powdercoat?
Define "good". They could be chemically stripped, but there's no guarantee there won't be additional pitting in the aluminum and inconsistent surface finish due to existing corrosion. Blasting would take FOREVER and would lead to a very inconsistent finish where the abrasive digs in deep in any exposed aluminum compared to struggling to penetrate the much harder chrome and nickel layers. It's not that stripping and recoating can't be done, it's just that it's not even remotely worth it compared to just replacing them. Especially when you can still sell the factory stuff. Hell, I sold my pitted chrome wheels and fairly worn tires for half what I paid for my newsed wheels and tires.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.