Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure what is wrong with my dog but over one of her eyes is swelling and bleeding(very very little) and her lips seem seem to have swelled also. Any Ideas as to whether she maybe having an alergic reaction or maybe a spiderbite? Im thinking it might be her food because I bought a different brand today...

·
******* Excavator
1,264 Posts
kinda looks like an allergy to me but i am no vet. Our dogs have allergies and we have given them children's benadryl before.

Might want to have it looked at though

·
i don't much care for you
2,397 Posts
check your abinets and anywhere she can reach under counters and stuff... Looks like she got into some household chemical of somesort. If she put her nose into it, it ould have burned her mouth and then also caused the swelling of the eyes.. same as if you were in a room thick with vapors

give her 2 childrens benadryl just in case it is a allergic reaction.. It wont hurt her but is a good safeguard... I would also try a cold compress.

if it was her first night with the food, try giving her something else... even if it is just beef or chicken and rice... mild food, and absorbent to chemicals

keep an eye on her, and if she isnt better tomorrow, take her in.. I would call either way though

I would also smell her face and paws, see if it smell like ammonia or something.

hope it helps... very cute pup

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will see how she is doing tomorrow, if there is no improvement then I will call a vet. I would have called a vet today, but there is only one in my area and it closed.

·
The land of Boredom..
4,224 Posts
if you think its something he ate, give him 1 tablespoon of peroxide, per 20 lbs. it will make him vomit, give him a bunch of bread afterwards, but dont let him drink anything for at least an hour.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,782 Posts
More importantly have you taken him to a vet yet?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe she is doing much better, most of the swelling has went down. I'm not sure what made her swell up, but i will be switching her back to her old food.

·
End nerd persecution
2,248 Posts
kinda looks like an allergy to me but i am no vet. Our dogs have allergies and we have given them children's benadryl before.

Might want to have it looked at though
x2 on the benadryl and take him to the vet ASAP. My dog is special needs when it comes to her vaccination shots(Lepto and rabies shots). They have to pre-treat her with a shot of benadryl and we still have to feed her children's benadryl at home for a few days afterwards. Sometimes that doesn't work and we have to rush back to the vet. My advice is vet ASAP!

·
iamfawkinwithyou
20,722 Posts
Call vet, I will show this to my wife when she gets home though, she is a vet tech

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I called a veterinary clinic, they said it could be the change in food, or a possibly insect bite, and seeing as the swelling has decreased they told me to keep a close eye on her and if it comes back to bring her in tomorrow. thanks to everyone that helped....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts