Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spice and Herb seeds and seed starter trays? I wouldn't mind veggies too, but those would be transplanted outside so I probably wouldn't start them right away. The herbs/spices I don't plan to ever move outside and Lowes/HD only sell the stuff for like a month just before spring starts.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, one thing I noticed about the burpee site is the sheer volume of seeds you get. Now typically seeds are only good for one year. I've not had good luck with seeds beyond a couple years. 1500 seeds on some of them is insane. Oh well...still searching.

·
Covered in mud...
17,916 Posts
If its mainly herbs, you might just try going to a nursery and buying individual plants.

Herbs aren't always the easiest to grow. We are seasoned gardeners, but usually get our herbs as plants just for that issue. Some, like Rosemary doesn't seed well, although if you plant enough you'll get a healthy seedling or two.

If you are starting out:

1 basil
1 rosemary
1 thyme
1 parsley
1 oregano
1 chive

Will cover the vast majority of your needs. Add Cilantro if you like Salsa. Dill is nice but big and needs space.

Spices, well, there isn't much there that you'll do on your own, other than growing peppers and grinding them.

Most things at Burpee you get a few dozen seeds. There are some that yeah, you get like 1500. But thats still a tiny envelope (think about poppy seeds). Carrots is a good example, the seeds are tiny. But you'll use 1500 seeds to plant 4 rows. As long as its only $3, I don't really care how many are in the packet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts