Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '68 SG Custom that needs paint and filler in a few places. I e-mailed a guy up who does custom paint jobs. I'm looking to put the stock nitrocellulose lacquer on it, no enamel or acrylic. That's what's screwy about the whole thing. The guy won't even touch it unless "the nitrocellulose is still on it". I don't understand what he means. I don't want to pay big bucks, I just want to prep it and have someone paint it. Gibson wants around $2000 to restore it which I can't do, and some other people here and there want about $500-$1200 to do it also, which sucks. Can anyone tell me how I would go about putting nitrocellulose lacquer back on it? Thanks.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
I would contact him and ask LOL

HTF are we supposed to know

My only guess is that is can't have been repainted at some point, i.e. must still be the original finish.
The new lacquer is the paint, i just think that there must be an issue with it harmfully mixing with other finishs'

why dont you ask him for clarification

·
Small, but talented
2,749 Posts
I'll talk to a guy at work, he buys and sells quite a few guitars, and had one fixed recently.

PM me, cuz I'll forget to ask by the time I hit the post button.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I talked to a few luthiers here and there and a few random people. This guy I talked to does insane work, that's why I wanted him to do it. He could probably put a nice finish on mine for a pretty cheap price. He knows about the nitrocellulose lacquer too. A lot of guys just say "yeah throw some enamel on there, lacquer sucks".

·
propane evangelist
798 Posts
as long as it plays I'd leave it alone... sounds like it has good character that a lot of people would actually pay more for.

·
ASSHOLE
932 Posts
I have a '68 SG Custom that needs paint and filler in a few places. I e-mailed a guy up who does custom paint jobs. I'm looking to put the stock nitrocellulose lacquer on it, no enamel or acrylic. That's what's screwy about the whole thing. The guy won't even touch it unless "the nitrocellulose is still on it". I don't understand what he means. I don't want to pay big bucks, I just want to prep it and have someone paint it. Gibson wants around $2000 to restore it which I can't do, and some other people here and there want about $500-$1200 to do it also, which sucks. Can anyone tell me how I would go about putting nitrocellulose lacquer back on it? Thanks.
Dont fuk with the finish. Leave it alone. Guitrs are kinda like jeeps, exept they dont rust. Get it?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is no finish on it. It's bare wood. I would just throw on a satin clear coat like the Gibson SG Fadeds, but here's how it looks now:

There's also some filler on the back of the guitar too.

·
ASSHOLE
932 Posts
Here's my 87 music man sabre. Yeah im the one who stripped it to bare wood. One of the dumbest ass things ever. Getting a refinish is would be the dumbest thing i could do. If you are worried about it getting shitty from sweat and skin oil from playing it then tear it down and wet sand to 1000 then hand rub some decent oil. Please do not get it refinished..

Attachments

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...why not repaint it? I redid my Fender MB-4 bass and Ibanez Soundgear bass and they both came out decent. The Ibanez has a pretty good clear coat on it (that's all I put on) and the Fender just needs someone to shoot a clean coat of clear on it with a gun. I don't know, maybe I could somehow fix that filler so that it matches the mahogany.

·
ASSHOLE
932 Posts
...why not repaint it? I redid my Fender MB-4 bass and Ibanez Soundgear bass and they both came out decent. The Ibanez has a pretty good clear coat on it (that's all I put on) and the Fender just needs someone to shoot a clean coat of clear on it with a gun. I don't know, maybe I could somehow fix that filler so that it matches the mahogany.

Refinishing/repainting your guitar will ruin any hopes of anyone paying anything for it. Even if you never plan on selling it's a bad idea. Besides everyone will tell ya it looks way cooler the way it is than if it looked like it was built yesterday.

Mine is bare wood too and has been that way since i stripped it in 98.
Ahh fuk it's your guitar, im just trying to get you to leave it the way i would want it anyways. Do what makes ya happy..:beer:

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's worthless now since it has no finish. Refinishing it won't bring up the value at all unless it was done professionally by Gibson, in which case it might bring it up maybe $1000 at most. Which means I'd still lose on that. I'm not planning on selling it anyway, it has more sentimental value to me. I just don't like the filler. Whoever my dad bought it from back in the 70s decided to try some inlays and screwed it up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts