Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
sie sehen mich rollin ...
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have replace my motor mounts and redoing my tranny crossmember, and if I jack up the tranny/xfer case until the carb is level, my driveshaft is all the way extended....

so how much tilt is acceptable for the engine/tranny?

75 cj5 AMC 3-4/TF999/D300

this is just for the rest of the summer, this winter I will be re-doing the driveshaft and giving her a tummy tuck.....

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Doesn't the stock drivetrain have about 3-4* tilt from factory?

...or am I way off?

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
Yeah, like the Nuze said, from the factory the motor is at an angle. My 304 is at 6* and it works fine, but I run a 670 Holley Truck Avenger.

·
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sweet....thanks guys I figured it was ok, just wanted to check first

next question, with that same setup, what would make the output of the xfer case be offset to the driver side about 2 inches? these are brand new motor mounts, have tried 2 different sets of engine brackets.

I compared it to the mounts on my dad's cj with the 304 and both pass and driver mounts are in the same place as his.
frame does not look bent or tweaked, and the mounts measure the same distance from the front of the frame back :confused:

I can get the xfer case to line up with the rear pig if I push it over, but shouldnt it just line up very near perfect on its own?
dana 44 rear btw.....pig is centered

thanks! :beer:

·
MTU 4x4
1,407 Posts
I am not sure why it is crooked, but I am sure that 2 inches would not make a difference. A u-joint cannot tell the angle of direction that it is at. It would be like a two inch drop downward....and the u-joint could not tell any difference, if it was side to side, or downward.

2 inches is actually pretty common...plus its a CJ:sonicjay:

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
What are the engine brackets from? Are you using later CJ, FSJ, or Jeepster frame mounts or engine brackets on an intermediate CJ-5? 76-up is compatible. 75-down is a whole different ball game. If you're mixing generations, that may be part of your issue.

·
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What are the engine brackets from? Are you using later CJ, FSJ, or Jeepster frame mounts or engine brackets on an intermediate CJ-5? 76-up is compatible. 75-down is a whole different ball game. If you're mixing generations, that may be part of your issue.
they were in the cj with the 304 when I got it, I believe the cj came stock with th 304 :confused:

I also had a set on a 360 I have from a late 70's cherokee that I tried, and it places the drivetrain in the same spot.

·
goofy
116 Posts
as far as the Carb goes you may need to adjust the float level so you have enough fuel in the bowl.

Hmm .. Motor mounts ...
Wonder if the frame side of the mounts are twisted

How do the Motor mounts look when you push it into aligenment? Do they look to be stressed?

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
The 258 was offset a little bit, and I think the 304 was too, to allow a better clearance for the front drive shaft.

·
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
as far as the Carb goes you may need to adjust the float level so you have enough fuel in the bowl.

Hmm .. Motor mounts ...
Wonder if the frame side of the mounts are twisted

How do the Motor mounts look when you push it into aligenment? Do they look to be stressed?
yeah they are stressed just a tad....I can push it into alignment by hand, but when I let go it moves back....

frame side mounts dont look outta shape either, but who knows I could be looking at twisted mounts and not relizing it.....let me put it this way, they dont look twisted or anything...the paint is not cracked, and I dont see any signs of stress. :confused:!
I think I may just run it....motor mounts are cheap enough if I fry these ones. :sonicjay:

·
Mall Rated
1,587 Posts
The 258 was offset a little bit, and I think the 304 was too, to allow a better clearance for the front drive shaft.
I believe that to be true because in my TJ the output of the tcase was favored to one side. When I was building it and putting in the D300 I just pushed it to be centered and made my crossmember to fit.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,867 Posts
ha wana talk about centered engines..... mine is offset to the passanger side like 3" or more to allow my front drive shaft to clear the tranny pan. What a pain that was to move

·
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ha wana talk about centered engines..... mine is offset to the passanger side like 3" or more to allow my front drive shaft to clear the tranny pan. What a pain that was to move

wow....that is offset

just to clarify a bit, my engine is centered, and it looks to be sitting in there straight, it is just the output of the t-case is not in a direct line with the pinion...it is off by about 2 inches.

I just pushed it over and redid my crossmember.
Thanks for the input guys! :beer::beer::beer::beer:

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,867 Posts
well i had to do that because i'm using the tf-727 with a pan that sticks out the side alot. Also the front d-shaft i'm using is big. So i really had no other choice but to do that lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts