Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Redreck Cadillac
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As all mini van stories start. I have a friend :sonicjay: he put power steering fliud into the brake system and now he is being told that he must replace the hole brake system including the lines. He is asking me for help but I dont know what to tell him. Help please.

·
Pew pew!
18,204 Posts
Yup. Seals and the rubber brake hoses aren't designed for P/S fluid.

Why in the hell did he ever pour P/S fluid into a container with a cap that says DOT 3 BRAKE FLUID ONLY?

·
Redreck Cadillac
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. Seals and the rubber brake hoses aren't designed for P/S fluid.

Why in the hell did he ever pour P/S fluid into a container with a cap that says DOT 3 BRAKE FLUID ONLY?
That would be a good question for him. Im not sure if he did it or his :confused: wife. Thanks

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Yup, a couple of years ago the welding teacher's wife put oil in the brakes. We had to replace everything. It was in there for about a week and by the time we took it all apart, every seal and hose was going to mush.

1996 Dodge Caravan.

You don't have to replace the lines, but anything with a seal or rubber in it....junk. Including the ABS hydraulic unit.

It was a very, very expensive lesson for him and his wife.

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
I have done a few of these. if you get a bunch of brake clean you may be able to save the ABS unit. you have to flush the whole brake system out and use tons of brake clean through the abs unit. if your lucky you can prevent damage. if its been in it for more then a day or two you smoked it.

as for things to replace,
1. Master cylinder
2. Calipers & wheel cylinders
3. rubber flex hoses
4. proportioning valve
5. abs unit if equipted
6. flush steel lines with loads of brake cleaner

by the way the most common reason to put P/S fluid in one is to have Hydro boost brakes. for some reason people think the whole systen runs on P/S fluid.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
A better flushing material is denatured alcohol. You can get it in a gallon at parts stores or hardware stores. I use it to flush my brake systems every other year.

·
Redreck Cadillac
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fluid was in the system for about a year. He did try to clean it out as soon as he noticed but he must not have done that great of a job. Looks like a good week end job to make some extra money.

Thanks for the tips.

·
keep your stick onthe ice
907 Posts
I'm pretty sure your going to need a scam tool to blead the ABS.

·
keep your stick onthe ice
907 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts