Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
do work
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was pulled over on the interstate last week by a cop who gave me a ticket called "bumper violation"...read on

He tailed me for about 1.5 miles before pulling me over. Upon reaching my passenger window, he informed me that my rear bumper was "built too strong" and looked like it was "completely rigid." He mentioned that my fuel tank is vulnerable if someone were to rear-end me. He said "you need to decide if this vehicle is your on-road vehicle or your off-road toy." He never layed on the ground and look at how said rear bumper is attached to vehicle, nor did he thoroughly inspect its construction. While he was talking to me, I made the smart-assed comment "well, my front bumper is probably too strong too, huh?" He got my license/registration and went back to his car. 10 minutes later, he handed me a ticket for "front and rear bumper violation."

I read the Michigan Vehicle Code, which states that any vehicle shall be equipped with a bumper or other energy absorbing device with an analogous function. The Vehicle Code then proceeds to describe the height requirments (limitations) as measured with unladed vehicle weight on a level surface.

My question is this: Based on the fact that he never once pulled out a tape measure to measure the said bumper's height, and without even walking past the passenger window to even look at the front bumper, who is he to determine whether or not the bumper (s) that I built are impact-absorbing and too strong? Yes, they are very sturdy, but I know for a fact that they would crumple much easier than some of the other fabricated bumpers I have seen on the roads.

Does anyone have any input? I feel like I can take this to court and win, but I suppose it is all in the interpretation of the law.

Thanks.

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
If you go to court you should make an attempt to fix said bumpers. Finding faults with the cop is not a good way to go. Find faults in the system.

You might be able to get it reduced, to something else, but since its not a moving violation. Can you just pay the fine and move on. THey just want the revenue from the fine.

·
do work
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have one on my site of the back, I'll take one tomorrow and post it. But, here is the front one (which shouldn't even be in question, since he didn't even look at it. ??

·
do work
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If you go to court you should make an attempt to fix said bumpers. Finding faults with the cop is not a good way to go. Find faults in the system.

You might be able to get it reduced, to something else, but since its not a moving violation. Can you just pay the fine and move on. THey just want the revenue from the fine.
I realize that...This is the same cop that got me last year in April for having my window tint too dark.

·
do work
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

I understand, but what do you mean "fix"? I don't think there's anything wrong, that's the issue.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Sure, they're over-height, but I can fix that with smaller tires.

So he nailed you for breaking the law by having improper height bumpers? What's your bitch?

·
do work
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So he nailed you for breaking the law by having improper height bumpers? What's your bitch?

No. Not once did he even mention the word height. He never measured or made any reference to the legal height requirment. That is a completely separate issue.

·
do work
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where did you get those badass front blinkers?

And sorry, I have no input/advice for you here.

The front blinkers are just standard oval grommet-mount LED lights. They're mounted in metal brackets that are the same size/shape as the factory lamps.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
No. Not once did he even mention the word height. He never measured or made any reference to the legal height requirment. That is a completely separate issue.
doesn't matter what he said. It's what he wrote you up for that counts. I got pulled over for speeding once and got a seat belt ticket. Should I have fought that by saying I took it off to get my wallet?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You just got a ticket for having bumpers that 'look too strong', take that shit to court, just to make that traffic cop look like an idiot in front of the judge.

·
Insomniac
1,117 Posts
So does this mean that everyone on here that has an aftermarket bumper is subject to this? I'd check on the ticket to see exactly what the infraction was written up as, check the state code, and decide from there.

Here is a link to the state code:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/high_rise_vehicle_law_8580_7.pdf

Anyone else have an opinion after reading this? I say fight it if it is not directly related to height.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.