Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This wa sposted in another thread, but it comes up a lot. Just a reminder of the highlights:

(2) A person shall not operate a motor vehicle that exceeds either of the following limits:
Vehicle Type Frame Height Bumper Height
Passenger vehicle 12 inches 22 inches
Less than 4,501 pounds GVWR 24 inches 26 inches
4,501 to 7,500 pounds GVWR 24 inches 28 inches
7,501 to 10,000 pounds GVWR 26 inches 30 inches

a person shall not operate a motor vehicle having lift blocks between the front axle and springs, or with lift blocks that exceed 4 inches in height between the rear axle and springs in addition to those provided by the original manufacturer.

Any body lift block shall be of single piece construction and shall not use more than a 3-inch spacer.

Any suspension lift block shall use an alignment pin between the axle and the spring, and shall be of single piece construction.

Spring shackle replacements shall not exceed the original equipment manufacture length by more than 2 inches,.

coil spring spacers are prohibited.

All steering components shall be geometrically arranged to function as original equipment manufacture. Welded pitman arms, drag links, and tie rods are prohibited.

All parts used to modify the original suspension or height of a motor vehicle shall be factory manufactured and shall meet or exceed the original manufacturer's specifications.

person shall not modify a vehicle to be in violation of this section, alter or add to an original frame resulting in an increase in height of the vehicle,

·
Not as old as Whiterhino
1,160 Posts
This wa sposted in another thread, but it comes up a lot. Just a reminder of the highlights:

(2) A person shall not operate a motor vehicle that exceeds either of the following limits:
yada, yada, yada.....
Do you ever wonder where the documentation comes from in those laws???
jim-kb8ymf

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
I think my bumpers are over , im sure a few other home built parts are illigal and becuase i am an old dude who looks harmless cops just look , shake there heads and drive on :sonicjay:

Im not promoting illigal rigs , im just being honest :poke:

·
I carry a shank
4,543 Posts
I think my bumpers are over , im sure a few other home built parts are illigal and becuase i am an old dude who looks harmless cops just look , shake there heads and drive on :sonicjay:

:sonicjay:

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you ever wonder where the documentation comes from in those laws???
jim-kb8ymf

What do you mean, the documentation?

The law itself? The text I took directly from Public Act 300 of 1949.

I don't know on your end of things, on my end of the industry, much of what we do is regulated by NHTSA, FMVSS, ISO standards, etc.

Laws usually point to NHTSA standards, back to FMVSS, which point usually to some old SAE document.

We had to go back to a 1964 SAE paper to find the square millimeter size requirement of a High Beam signal on your dash.... huh... turns out its also supposed to be red, legally, not blue.

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
I wonder, if there is specific law that actually explicitly defines "factory manufactured"

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
did they print it in rainbow back in 1949??:bdr2:
I thought you guys would feel more comfortable that way. :bdr2:

I spend a lot of time presenting material to idiots, don't question my methods..

·
Not as old as Whiterhino
1,160 Posts
a person shall not operate a motor vehicle having lift blocks between the front axle and springs, or with lift blocks that exceed 4 inches in height between the rear axle and springs in addition to those provided by the original manufacturer.
Like this statement. Why not 5"?

Any suspension lift block shall use an alignment pin between the axle and the spring, and shall be of single piece construction.
Or this one... One piece construction

Spring shackle replacements shall not exceed the original equipment manufacture length by more than 2 inches,.
Or this, where the length can't exceed 2". Why not 3" or 4"

All steering components shall be geometrically arranged to function as original equipment manufacture. Welded pitman arms, drag links, and tie rods are prohibited.

Or the NO welded Pitman arm, and Drag links?
My point was, there are some requirements that are FMVSS std's but some are not.
jim-kb8ymf

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like this statement. Why not 5"?

Or this one... One piece construction

Or this, where the length can't exceed 2". Why not 3" or 4"

Or the NO welded Pitman arm, and Drag links?
My point was, there are some requirements that are FMVSS std's but some are not.
jim-kb8ymf
Well, those are just the laws, arbitrary, based on whatever people they had in there at the time for 'experts'..

1 piece is easy, to prevent hockey puck lifts :tonka:

But often, its going back to SAE documents. Or, going back to some horrific crash that involved a vehicle that wasn't illegal, but some grieving family successfully lobbied to change. :dunno: It happens..

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Did you look under 4wd vehicles on bumper height. It use to be differant than 2wd. Those numbers look like the 2wd measurements. I was ticketed once and got it thru out due to this . The officer made a mistake on this himself. A month later he tried again when he noticed I had my front shaft out. I got impounded untill I lowered it or put the shaft back in. That took a whole 5 minutes and I was back on the road. The same night a buddy got stopped for the same reason. While waiting for the wrecker Myself and anouther friend showed up ,explained what happened to me ,then installed his shaft in the parking lot and the cop had to let him go. This was a few years back but I do beleive the differance in 2wd and 4wd still stands.

This was on bumper height

·
Moonlight stomper
5,958 Posts

don't you get Granfathered in anyways old man ...isn't that how that works..if your old N/m can't teach and old dog new tricks:confused:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts