Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of where to mount this thing, and was thinking I see a lot of lifted jeeps without these jacks on them. If you get a flat the stock jack won't work, is there any other option or do I have to have it. If I get a flat am I screwed? :confused:

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
I carried mine in the YJ for a long time, eventually rusted.

I acutally prefer to carry a floor jack with me :) have a nice Aluminum one in the WJ and an "SUV" one in the YJ, goes just high enough to change the tires

5,476 Posts
bottle jack and a 1'x1' of thickish plywood will work in 95% of the situation you get into offroad with a flat.

I use to always carry a hi-lift but it rattled apart so i have left it in my truck bed and just use other peoples :tonka:

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
I never had a spare tire, so I didn't carry a jack.

Just quit being a puss and drive it home on the rim :tonka: Some yoopers and Mj'ers may remember that one....

·
American Infidel
1,104 Posts
Mounted on the rear tire carrier.
I have used it for recovery because I don't have a winch. High-lift has a kit you can get to use it to pull yourself out of a stuck. It's more work but cheaper than a winch.

·
I think I can make it!!!!
2,315 Posts
I always have mine. But I dont carry a spare. The jack is very useful and spare tires are to heavy for the type of wheeling I do. Nobody in my group has a spare with them. We leave them on the trailer and everybody knows that when one goes bad somebody is going to have to run back to the trailer.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,457 Posts
Used to carry one on the tire carrier. Then I saw so many rusted ones that I moved it to the back of the rollbar across the fenders. I only carry it occasionally when I will be the only one with it. If someone else has one I leave it at camp.

Like cvwindows, I am getting so I only carry one when I will be a long way from the trailer. And sometimes I am carrying a smaller tire on an aluminum wheel instead to reduce weight..

·
Living on the Edge
2,077 Posts
highlift's are good and serve there purpose. for flats and tire changing you can actually have better results with a thick piece of wood and a bottle jack.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I used to. Then on the scouting run for Mud Mania 06, I think it was Rocky who busted out a bottle jack and got the job done. Since then I bought a bottle jack and my Hi-Lift has been just sitting in the corner in the garage.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Have Had Mine On The Front Of The Jeep For Years. Factory Jack Didn't Go High Enough For My Tires. Check It Once In A While And Keep It Lubed. Oh And Don't Buy A Cheap Knock Off.:thumb:

·
Moonlight stomper
5,958 Posts
Only time we use a high lift is when some dummy loads the truck wrone ont eh trailer we jack it up and push it the way the Rig needs to move to, so its centered on the trailer.... they are good for that!

also came in handy when that last few truses on ly friend house hit the ground wrong and were tweeked it helped to put it all back together

·
Bird is my bitch
1,406 Posts
Mine is mounted on the jeep fulltime, but I don't drive it on the road much.
I welded tabs onto my swingout and it mounts lengthwise behind the spare.

·
Premium Member
3,279 Posts
I'm thinking of where to mount this thing, and was thinking I see a lot of lifted jeeps without these jacks on them. If you get a flat the stock jack won't work, is there any other option or do I have to have it. If I get a flat am I screwed? :confused:
why wont a stock jeep jack work? i could easily replace 37s with my factory bottle jack :/

·
Go lil yellow Roobicon...
1,960 Posts
NO.

But I have used/needed one twice before. I was thankful someone had one handy on both occasions. :woot:

Even tried popping a bead with one going after a valve stem replace..but used a tow rig instead.:tonka:

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
yes on there full time but I keep it oiled and only use it for off road.
used it to pull a fence pole, pop some beads on some old tires.

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
or I just bought a new one, my old one's 12 years old. But honestly, I carry a small floor jack and a piece of 1x6, works great for my 32's, but I noticed this weekend, it's just t-h-i-s close to not tall enough for the 33s.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts