Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Just The Spouse's spouse
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Michigan Players, Coaches Lash Out At Harbaugh

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- After three months after former University of Michigan quarterback Jim Harbaugh made statements about his alma mater, players and coaches are lashing out.

Harbaugh, now the coach at Stanford University, made the remarks during a newspaper interview to the The Examiner.

Michigan tailback Mike Hart says he has no respect for Harbaugh.

"He's not a Michigan man, and I wish he had never played here," Hart said this week during the Big Ten media meetings in Chicago. "I've never met him, and I don't want to."

Harbaugh in May told the San Francisco Examiner that Michigan admitted athletes who were borderline academically, then steered them into less-challenging courses to keep them eligible.

"They're adulated when they're playing," Harbaugh was quoted as saying. "But when they get out, the people who adulated them won't hire them."

Harbaugh later told The Ann Arbor News that even serious student athletes are encouraged to take easier majors.

Coach Lloyd Carr said Tuesday he believed Harbaugh's statements were "elitist,'' "arrogant'' and "self-serving.''

"If you look at the history of intercollegiate athletics, going back at Michigan 128 years, the football experience at Michigan has given a lot of people opportunities to follow their dreams, to get an education, to lead a better life, to give their families better lives,'' Carr said. "That's what intercollegiate athletics has done for thousands, TENS of thousands of people across this country, men and women.

Hart hinted that Harbaugh has blown his chance of ever coaching the Wolverines.

Gary Migdol, a Stanford athletic department spokesman, did not offer immediate comment when contacted Thursday by The Associated Press.

I do. :woot:

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,803 Posts
Umm.. I don't know at UofM but at MTU most of the football players were business majors. The ones that were trying to be engineers would bitch when they couldn't get higher than a 60 on an exam. Shit we even had a class dubbed "rocks for jocks" as a free elective.

·
The N3rd
5,871 Posts
Um...its college football...I could care less.

Rosie out.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I agree, but it is probably true for most college football/basketball powerhouses, not just UofM.

I remember most athletes when I was in school either being communications or criminal justice majors.

·
Better than Newbie
2,829 Posts
as long as they're on the positive side of the border, who cares? i mean seriously, if the players arent going to be good enough to enter the NFL after college, then maybe they should be the ones who should be looking into getting a better education, but as long as they're passing the set standard, why does it matter?

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
I used to be a bouncer at the bars around Campus, they aren't the smartest group, but they have stand outs. the majority of guys who played were like anyone else. the few guys I was friends with joined groups like the Michiama's and other high end groups. even the Stiener brothers went there. they were bouncers like me when they weren't wrestling.

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
I think He's just shocked that 3/4ths the football team at Standford is SMARTER then he is.

I agree that it's the same with all powerhouses, not just at UofM as stated above. They (the major players) bring in the winners and sometimes they are not the brightest of the bunch but they WIN!! Winning is all the Boosters care about. Harbaugh made good points but he shouldn't have directed at it towards UofM

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
It happens at every school, Harbaugh is just upset that he coaches at Stanford and even though they lower the bar they don't lower it as far as a powerhouse football school would.

Say michigan will allow an SAT score of 12 and a gpa of 2.5
Regular student must get say a 20 and a 3.7 or 4.0

Stanford is probably a 15 and a gpa of 3.2
Reg student must get a 20 and a 3.7 or 4.0

(these are just made up numbers for illustrations purposes)

So that lessens the players he can recruit, which shrinks the talent pool. Why he chose to start bitching about U of M is beyond me, every school does it and U of M is one of the only institutions that will hire coaches only if they are a Michigan Man. He just screwed the pooch on that possibility and the possibility of him landing the job he is jealous of.

Do I agree with the idea of allowing athletes to be accepted on lower standards then regular students? No not at all. But keep in mind that Harbough is the kettle calling the pot black, his institution does the exact same thing, but probably not to the same extent, which is why their football team is not a top contendor year in and year out.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
It happens at every school, Harbaugh is just upset that he coaches at Stanford and even though they lower the bar they don't lower it as far as a powerhouse football school would.

Say michigan will allow an SAT score of 12 and a gpa of 2.5
Regular student must get say a 20 and a 3.7 or 4.0

Stanford is probably a 15 and a gpa of 3.2
Reg student must get a 20 and a 3.7 or 4.0

(these are just made up numbers for illustrations purposes)

So that lessens the players he can recruit, which shrinks the talent pool. Why he chose to start bitching about U of M is beyond me, every school does it and U of M is one of the only institutions that will hire coaches only if they are a Michigan Man. He just screwed the pooch on that possibility and the possibility of him landing the job he is jealous of.

Do I agree with the idea of allowing athletes to be accepted on lower standards then regular students? No not at all. But keep in mind that Harbough is the kettle calling the pot black, his institution does the exact same thing, but probably not to the same extent, which is why their football team is not a top contendor year in and year out.
you mean ACT

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I thought about that but ACT is usually used mainly in michigan where the SAT is used nationwide?

Either way it was used purely for example purposes.
but the scores you posted would have been for the ACT the SAT is in the 1000's

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
read young grasshopper

and I dout u of m would look at anyone who got a score of less then 25-30 on their act regardless.....
when i got my ACT back it said the lowest score that they usually let in was a 28 :(, for people that wouldnt play sports in college, i got a 23.

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
when i got my ACT back it said the lowest score that they usually let in was a 28 :(, for people that wouldnt play sports in college, i got a 23.
lol, way to run this into a SAT or ACT discussion. :sonicjay: :sonicjay:

·
Jeeps, Journey and Jesus
1,651 Posts
This would never happen at OSU. Ours where all brain surgeons

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
this is college? shit sounds like these ass holes never left grammar school.

Harbaugh: dude your bike sux man

UofM: does not, your's does

Harbaugh: dude your such a joke

UofM: that's it dude meet me at the bike racks afterschool and I'm gonn beat you up for dissin' my redline.

Harbaugh: see ya there, be ready for the pain

like most involved with mainstream pro sports. overpaid losers and ghetto-rats.

·
Better than Newbie
2,829 Posts
honestly, would people rather watch a bunch of nerds run around the field or the players that are out there currently?

·
Jeeps, Journey and Jesus
1,651 Posts
Just ask Art Schliester or Maurice Clorette. Oh, and nice spelling. Figures!:stan:
Well, the new team is all rocket scientists this year.

·
Registered
168 Posts
:stan3:UM

I like that they are quoting Mike Hart too, the guy who was all "if we played again on a neutral site things would be different..." boo hoo, you should have won the game and then you would have been the ones to get your ass kicked by Florida...

Yes I am a Spartan and yes I know we suck, but I still tailgate my ass off, sing the fight song, and cheer for the Green and White.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts