Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The N3rd
5,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an old flat of 40 water bottles in the basement untouched from 2001. I want to drink them but I don't know if the plastic has started to break down in anyway or not. A couple of the bottles have started to get oval in shape. What is the shelf life anyways for water bottles?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looks like you're OK... from http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/botwatr.html

"What is the shelf life for bottled water?
Bottled water is considered to have an indefinite safety shelf life if it is produced in accordance with CGMP and quality standard regulations and is stored in an unopened, properly sealed container. Therefore, FDA does not require an expiration date for bottled water. However, long-term storage of bottled water may result in aesthetic defects, such as off-odor and taste. Bottlers may voluntarily put expiration dates on their labels."

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
My father in law had something like 300 gallons in his basement for Y2K. After a few years they started to leak, one by one. Something degrading in the plastic.

·
web wheeling, hard.
6,779 Posts
my personal rule is two years. I keep some water stashed in the basement, and I drink it, but rotate the oldest out.

·
Upstanding Member
1,726 Posts
the plastics will absorb odors. if you keep it near something with a strong odor for too long, the water will taste like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts