Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Yooper
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at a solid 2wd DJ 5 postal Jeep. How hard is it to convert to 4wd?

·
Yooper
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would I be able to get a Dana 30 out of CJ narrow track? Going to look at it this weekend. Might get it and keep the 2wd just for cruising around town in, but was wondering if anyone on here had doen the conversion. i know Petersons or JP did one not to long ago.

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Yes, it's been done. The one below was built by a guy I met from Illinois. He did a nice job with it, but unfortunately, it was trashed when his trailer rolled while he was trailering it. :(

You'd have to swap the transmission and front axle, and add a transfer case & front driveshaft (obviously). Standard CJ items (e.g. TF999 auto & Dana 300, along with a NT D30 front axle) should work fine, IIRC. I can't recall what type of steering setup they have (aside from being RHD).

Craig

·
Yooper
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a pretty cool lookin DJ, i've wanted one of these since I was a kid. Going to look at it this weekend. Wife says I can get it if it runs and drives!! LOL What size tires are on that one if ya know. The one I'm looking at has military tires on it, but he wants them.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
"That Guy From IL" would be CunuckCJ.

He has rebuilt the DJ, BTW

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
That's a pretty cool lookin DJ, i've wanted one of these since I was a kid. Going to look at it this weekend. Wife says I can get it if it runs and drives!! LOL What size tires are on that one if ya know. The one I'm looking at has military tires on it, but he wants them.
is the one you're going to look at in calumet?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts