Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Yooper
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many people are running a homemade DIY beadlock on the road, and how hard they are to somewhat balance? And what are you using to balance them? I don't have a lot of experience with bealocks so just wondering. Ive heard BBs work good, but how much do you use per tire? Not looking to drive hundreds of miles just to beat around town and drive to and from trails.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have so total metal innovation weld on brad locks and they run down the road great even the occasional 65 down the highway. I have them balanced with about half a sandwich bag of medium weight air soft bbs. just my two cents on the subject.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,451 Posts
I never bothered. I'm the same as you, 55-60 was top speed but I never felt like they were a problem. I think a large tire is a bigger problem than a DIY beadlock if the weld bead is pretty consistent all the way around. I had runs where we would put 30-40 miles each way on the road with no issues.

Would I balance them if they were a daily driver? Yes.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have the Total Metal Innovations dyi. i drove mine without balancing them and i had a little bit of a shake at 65+. Put them on the balnacer and they were calling for a ton of weight. I ended up going to discount tire and buying there balancing beads. I put 8oz in each tire. In a 35x12.5x15. Once I did that it drives great. I have drove it 250 Miles of expressway in one trip and it rides as good as not have the dyi beadlocks

·
Yooper
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright coool thanks for all the input! The reason I was curious is just obviously with all the welding on them the wheel itself is gonna be out of balance a little bit, and then I was wondering how much trouble it was to get the outer bead as centered as possible, but it sounds like beads will take care of it :thumb:

·
Registered
443 Posts
i did alot of reading up on the balancing beads and was going to go with air soft or bb's.but then found out discount can get the beads for decent price so went that route. they have a chart at discount and wanted to order me 6oz from what i found online seemed most went with 8oz for my size tire. Also seems like people that complain about the beads they dont run enough in there.

·
Yooper
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome im glad I asked the question! I will be running 40x13.5x17 Toyos so ill have to do some reading but im guessing off what youre saying maybe 10-12 oz. I have also heard of people running coolant too, but ive seen that more in weighting tractor tires and such but also makes sense.

·
Yooper
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some are if they are found to be approved. Like Hutchinson and others. Either way the likelihood that a truck rolling on 40's isn't going to be very street friendly anyway.
Very true! Hahah and it's gonna be a bronco 2 on 40s so having beadlocks is pretty much the last thing I'm worried about being legal.. I plan on driving it to work, which is about 3 blocks away from my house, to trails, and the occasional Sunday ride around town maybe haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts