Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased a new home. I've been on the phone for about 10 hours over the last two days cancelling and schuduling hook ups. My problem exists with getting internet with-out going dial up. I've spoken with AT&T, Charter, Verison, and Comcast......however no one has any type of connection were I'm at. No TV or Internet. Everyone's service end a mile up the road from my new home. Hell DSL isn't even an option.
The root of my question is Satillite. Any suggestions on companies. I've heard that some offer Satillite Internet that now uploads and downloads through the dish. But what company? I'd like to get TV and Internet and Phone together if it's a realistic option.
I'm moving to Hadley,MI

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Check out Verizon or Sprint's mobile broadband cards. They are just as fast as hard wired broadband connections. I have the Sprint USB style card and love it. It's $60/month though. It's great because you can take it with you if you have a laptop.

http://coverage.sprintpcs.com/IMPAC...onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPhones&x=48&y=10

It shows you are in an area without service, but our house is too and it still works great.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Call your Senator and push the issue. My next door neighbor here in MN has ATT DSL. I called ATT and they said I was out of range. I explained that my neighbor has it (similar to your 1 mile away situation) and they said too bad. They said they would need to run a signal amplifier or booster box or something for me to get it. I called the senators office and told them this and viola! I have DSL 2 weeks later.

·
I Break Stuff!
119 Posts
I have been facing a similar situation for about the past five years. I have Goodrich mailing but I'm just over the county line so it is technically Hadley. I'll go down the list of what luck we have had so far:

DSL:
There is a switching station in Hadley but I know that I'm too far from it.

Charter:
We just got the bill that if we want cable we have to shell out $20,800 to get them to string the cable about half a mile. (Mind you, they would be gaining other customers but they aren't interested in expansion at the moment)

Satellite Internet:
I believe that HughesNet is the major player in this market. I know that my neighbor has it and so does another one of my friends. However, setup and service seem to be very expensive and the service has an odd way of capping you. Don't quote me on this but I believe that you are limited to about 150mb every 4 hours.

Mobile Broadband:
This is the option that we are currently looking at. My house is just barely in range of Flint's coverage for Verizon and I have yet to check on Sprint. We have looked at Verizon but Sprint seems to be the better contender in this area.

If I learn any more, I'll be sure to post it.

·
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I've thought about a broad band card, but we have a wireless network that my desktop, wife's laptop, PDA, and printer communitcate with. I don't even have a phone plug in my computer's for dial up.
Spec Ed, I live at Sutton and Baldwin and have been told the same thing from charter and verison. It took 45 min. for Verison to find my address though 911 records. The house was built in 1991, you'd think after 15 years they'd have a better idea! They all have service to the 2800 block, but I'm at the 3300 block. The current own had to have the phone line replaced two years ago and they wired it for DSL out to the street at no charge. Only two more miles and I'd be Ok.
I talked with Direct TV, they are a min. 2 month contract, $289.00 just for the equipment plus $125.00/mo for basic TV and Low speed internet.
Dish network seems to be better, but again it's a one time charge of $199.00 to lease the equipment and 18 month contract to start. $110.00/mo for the same basic TV and Internet. Dish seems to be the winner, but they both lock you in for 2 years. They also both subcontract through wild blue.
If either of their customer service is better than AT&T I'd pay double that!

·
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Call your Senator and push the issue. My next door neighbor here in MN has ATT DSL. I called ATT and they said I was out of range. I explained that my neighbor has it (similar to your 1 mile away situation) and they said too bad. They said they would need to run a signal amplifier or booster box or something for me to get it. I called the senators office and told them this and viola! I have DSL 2 weeks later.
Not to sound dumb, but what leverage does my senator have on this. With two penny jenny guiding us all to extinction, she here's this and everyone's rates will double. Then they'll all be mad at me!

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Not to sound dumb, but what leverage does my senator have on this. With two penny jenny guiding us all to extinction, she here's this and everyone's rates will double. Then they'll all be mad at me!

there was some bill that went through that said everyone should have the same right to cable/internet and shouldn't be decided by the cable companies. Aparently the cable companies didn't want to run special cables into the ghetto for internet, people in the ghetto complained, and then a bill was passed to where it is no longer up to the cable compaines as to them picking where to expand.

·
I Break Stuff!
119 Posts
there was some bill that went through that said everyone should have the same right to cable/internet and shouldn't be decided by the cable companies. Aparently the cable companies didn't want to run special cables into the ghetto for internet, people in the ghetto complained, and then a bill was passed to where it is no longer up to the cable compaines as to them picking where to expand.
Interesting, I may have to try that approach then.

Dragonfuel, I had a similar run in when I called Charter about setting up cable. I called them up and no one could find my house on the map. Finally, the third person is like "Oh yeah, now I see it!" They come out to set it up and the installation guy is walking around looking for the cable. When we tell him where we believe the closest line is he says, "Wow, they have never been that far off before." It is kinda difficult to find our house though, because it is on Dana Lynn, a private road off of Washburn.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Ding!

·
rack tap re-rack click
13,502 Posts
there is something like that but I think it needs to have so many people that want service within a square mile in order for you to force them to come hook you up..but I could be wrong. Go to the township and demand a copy of the contarct they have with them. The township will not want to give it to you but they have to as you are a resident(I know someone who went through this.) In the contract it will spell out if they have to provide service or if you are required to pay for them to bring the line to your house.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.