Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1121 - 1140 of 1141 Posts

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
Sucks to destroy a tire so quickly. Canada will give a better test if we ever get to cross the border again.

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,124
Fuck Torx hardware :finger: Ended up drill out all but 2 bolts holding the cage in.

Hoist didn't go high enough, had to improvise.

Couple more smacks to the 2x4 with a sledge and the rear tailgate closes like it's supposed to now. Rear corner mostly bent back into place. Front corner stopped moving using the double hammer technique so I have to wait until I can get a hand holding the 2x4 so I can give it extra love with the sledge. :teehee:

:beer:

·
589 Fabrication
3,546 Posts
One of the tires had the bead sliced in two when my rear tire exploded the corner of the concrete as I rolled. The rest of the tires haven't been looked over because I've been preoccupied. We noticed they don't really clear out in mud or dirt until I have alot of wheel speed so that's a downfall. I feel like they had decent traction in the rocks but nothing otherworldly. You know how R&V is, all the rocks are moving around constantly so you can't really plant a tire on anything and see what it does because the rock moves. I'm going to continue running them and see how they do. No spare anymore though. Anything was an improvement from what I had on there so it's hard for me to give a good assessment. I will say I was able to wheel like a normal person again without having to go WOT to do every obstacle so that's a positive :sonicjay:
Bummer you damaged a tire so fast. I wanted to try the Black labels, but you may have confirmed my concerns with mud and cleaning out. With under 100 hp, I don't have wheel speed.

I'm not upset with the Iroks, so now I'm considering the Iroks in a 42 and maybe gears in the 6.xx range.

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,129
I wouldn't use my limited run as the end all be all for those tires. I don't have enough time on them to really know what to say yet. I plan to cut the grooves larger to open them up if they aren't chunking out too bad after a few trips.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
More than I want to spend, but I'm also limited on power :sonicjay: so I'm going to need all the traction I can get. It'll be a balance between my wallet and doing what's right :sonicjay:
I've had this as a serious discussion more than once. If you are running rocks you can
A) Spend $400-450 per tire and be somewhat satisfied and quite often frustrated
B) Spend $500-550 per tire and be giddy about how well your rig works.

So for an extra $500 on a rig that you have THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS invested, it can make the difference between somewhat happy and very happy.

I have been running stickies longer than most of my wheeling buddies. We did a run last fall where only 1 guy did not have stickies and he struggled as usual. HOWEVER, for him it stood out as he struggled more than ever. My response was, no, you did not struggle more than usual but instead, this is the first trip where everyone EXCEPT you had stickies. A month later he bought stickies. :teehee:

If everyone you wheel with has bias ply tires, you all wheel about the same. Everybody struggles about the same on any given obstacle. Then one guy gets stickies and everybody calls him a cheater. :sonicjay:Then more get stickies and they get called cheaters. :teehee:
Then the last hold out guy starts getting pissed and frustrated that he struggles so much. Then he gets stickies and no longer considers them cheater tires. :finger:

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
So for an extra $500 on a rig that you have THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS invested, it can make the difference between somewhat happy and very happy.
I've used that same argument against myself a few times :sonicjay: Make sense. Why not spend a little extra money and be happy with what you've spent thousands of dollars on....and just as important thousands of hours building.

I am hoping that somehow I can make mine street legal so I can drive it around town from time to time. Go get ice cream :sonicjay: But not sure that's going to happen. Tires will be one of the last things I purchase so I've got some time to see where things end up.

·
589 Fabrication
3,546 Posts
I've had this as a serious discussion more than once. If you are running rocks you can
A) Spend $400-450 per tire and be somewhat satisfied and quite often frustrated
B) Spend $500-550 per tire and be giddy about how well your rig works.

I have been running stickies longer than most of my wheeling buddies. We did a run last fall where only 1 guy did not have stickies and he struggled as usual. HOWEVER, for him it stood out as he struggled more than ever. My response was, no, you did not struggle more than usual but instead, this is the first trip where everyone EXCEPT you had stickies. A month later he bought stickies. :teehee:

If everyone you wheel with has bias ply tires, you all wheel about the same. Everybody struggles about the same on any given obstacle. Then one guy gets stickies and everybody calls him a cheater. :sonicjay:Then more get stickies and they get called cheaters. :teehee:
Then the last hold out guy starts getting pissed and frustrated that he struggles so much. Then he gets stickies and no longer considers them cheater tires. :finger:

I haven't wheeled with anyone on sticky's, i never get an invite :poke:

My distributor has the new Baja Boss Sticky's in stock. Those are looking pretty good. Waiting to hear back on the Milestars. Looks like they just picked them up, so waiting to see what they get.

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,139
Lots of help. Had to wash it up, can't send dirty stuff to Metroman.

Hit hard enough to split the tub on the drivers side behind the drivers seat.

Cage got repurposed for an hour or so.

CTLJ didn't need his dash anymore with the Terminator X so I bought his dash and display so I'll install that after I get the Jeep back. Heads up for cage work on sunday.

1121 - 1140 of 1141 Posts