Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1101 - 1120 of 1141 Posts

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,881 Posts
About a minute in you can see the problem it's right there behind the steering wheel... Between the horn and the seat.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,102
What was going on with the steering?
Lost a fitting on the cylinder earlier in the day so pulled the cylinder and looped the good line on the steering box. Without resistance there is no assist so it was worse than manual steering. You can see my trying to 2 hand it right as it slides, which caused a delay to reverse, which ended upside down. It is what it is. :beer: On to the next phase.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Lost a fitting on the cylinder earlier in the day so pulled the cylinder and looped the good line on the steering box. Without resistance there is no assist so it was worse than manual steering. You can see my trying to 2 hand it right as it slides, which caused a delay to reverse, which ended upside down. It is what it is. :beer: On to the next phase.
Yeah noticed you giving it all you had :( Was there much damage?

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,109
Yeah noticed you giving it all you had :( Was there much damage?

1 time cage did its job. It's bent now. Messed up the tub on the drivers side front when it bent. Rear was not tied into the frame, pushed that corner down a little bit. I was able to pull it mostly back using the cherry picker and a sledge. More to come.

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,112
Drivers side front that was tied into the frame. It hit the rear corner hard enough to shove the whole cage sideways. Landing on concrete didn't help.

It sucked the rear corner in when the cage shoved the wheel well down. Still haven't been able to get the gate closed. Pretty easy fix with a shim but that'll all come with time.

Jeep was already heading to Metrofab for a cage, this just moves the timeline up and forces me to do some tub repair before it gets there. I've hit the wheelwell enough to move things back to "close" so I'll move onto the driver's front windshield area tonight and see how well that moves back.

Starting point:

"Fixed"

I dented the hood as well but it's a hood, nobody cares :teehee:

New cage will be tied directly to the frame at the A, B and C pillars. Metrofab does awesome work, I'm a little excited to see the end result.

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
7,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,119
???

Bent cage must have been putting a stress on the frame/ suspension.
One of the tires had the bead sliced in two when my rear tire exploded the corner of the concrete as I rolled. The rest of the tires haven't been looked over because I've been preoccupied. We noticed they don't really clear out in mud or dirt until I have alot of wheel speed so that's a downfall. I feel like they had decent traction in the rocks but nothing otherworldly. You know how R&V is, all the rocks are moving around constantly so you can't really plant a tire on anything and see what it does because the rock moves. I'm going to continue running them and see how they do. No spare anymore though. Anything was an improvement from what I had on there so it's hard for me to give a good assessment. I will say I was able to wheel like a normal person again without having to go WOT to do every obstacle so that's a positive :sonicjay:

·
MetroFab Customs
6,283 Posts
I will say I was able to wheel like a normal person again without having to go WOT to do every obstacle so that's a positive :sonicjay:
Booooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggggggg

I vote you go back to the LTBizzzles

1101 - 1120 of 1141 Posts