Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my ring and pinions changed to 4.88 next week and at the same time getting ARB lockers put in. How important are the aftermarket diff covers. Do the OE Diff covers dent easily?

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
If you are hittign them on rocks, then yes, they can dent pretty easily. For runinng michigan sand/snow/mud, etc, its not as important. But rocks eat them up. Front axles get hit worst with impacts. The rear, what often happens is if you are hung up on a rock, as you drag across it, it kind of tries to peel the cover off the diff, eventually causing a leak. The options out there(either a thicker diff cover, or a bolt on diff guard) are pretty reasonable, cost wise.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
yes they are very important. you're going to spend at least $300-500 for the gears and install, plus another $700+ for an ARB, and you're gonna try and skimp on another $30-150 to protect a $1,000-1,500 investment. come on really.

and honestly i think a diff guard or heavy duty cover is more important in the mud, because you can't see what's under the mud. ever seen anybody go through a mudhole and stop dead in their tracks??? not cool. but either way. with that much money invested in a diff, don't be cheap and get some good protection

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Haven't put a hole in a diff cover in 20+ years of wheeling...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes they are very important. you're going to spend at least $300-500 for the gears and install, plus another $700+ for an ARB, and you're gonna try and skimp on another $30-150 to protect a $1,000-1,500 investment. come on really.

and honestly i think a diff guard or heavy duty cover is more important in the mud, because you can't see what's under the mud. ever seen anybody go through a mudhole and stop dead in their tracks??? not cool. but either way. with that much money invested in a diff, don't be cheap and get some good protection
Well, that sums it up, thanks scorpio! :sonicjay:

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
My trick for this is...
If its a dana 44, I cut out a ford TTB housing..it's 1/4 plate or something and its a ton thicker than the stock paper.. do it poor man style.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
i like the front cover. but the slider isn't my personal favorite. it works great for dragging over rocks. but if you back up, or slide down the backside of a rock hard enough, then the mid/top section of the diff is still to exposed for my taste.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
In the past 2 seasons, I've gone through...1 D44 front cover, 2 rear 14 bolt covers and my rear sterling cover had to be pounded back off the diff (the ring gear was eating it).

for $120, the Great Lakes Offroad (GLO) cover is the cheapest insurance you can buy for your front axle...

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
I laugh every time I see someone laugh at ClearGearz covers. They are cheaper than a lot of the aftermarket (only $19 more than GLO's), pretty strong, and you'll always know exactly when you need to drain the fuckers. Think about how many pictures we've seen of milkshake differentials on this board that were a surprise to the owner.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
JP magazine did a "Shoot out" on the diff covers. If I remember correctly the greatlakes offroad was one of the best.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
I laugh every time I see someone laugh at ClearGearz covers. They are cheaper than a lot of the aftermarket (only $19 more than GLO's), pretty strong, and you'll always know exactly when you need to drain the fuckers. Think about how many pictures we've seen of milkshake differentials on this board that were a surprise to the owner.
so why don't you use them? and "pretty strong" doesn't cut it if you're shelling out cash for a solid diff cover

1 - 20 of 36 Posts