Usually spend 4-5 hours on the water.

I ended up rowing back several times last year
cuz of a dead battery.

What Deep Cycle Battery is the best brand
and size I should get for my needs?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Most batteries are made by the same company unless you want to spend $200+ get the one with the most AH/RC you can afford.

·
165 Posts
Group 31 series battery is the way to go. Wehan is right there are only a few manufacturers. East Penn is the only American manufacturer left. Oreilly Auto Parts Super Start batteries and Deka are both brands that are made by East Penn. O'Reilly's part number is 31dcm and it has a reserve capacity of 210.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I bought the large size interstate green deep cycle 7-8 years ago and that thing still runs my fish finder/smelt light for a whole weekend durring ice season and the whole boat all summer. I was amazed it had enough ass to start my dads boat a month ago after sitting in the basement since December.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,118 Posts
Group 31 series battery is the way to go. Wehan is right there are only a few manufacturers. East Penn is the only American manufacturer left. Oreilly Auto Parts Super Start batteries and Deka are both brands that are made by East Penn. O'Reilly's part number is 31dcm and it has a reserve capacity of 210.
East Penn / Deka seems to sell to a lot of house store brands. The last few batteries I have bought have been Deka and I've been more than happy with them and the prices are good.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
I don't know who manufactures it, but I have been very happy with the Advance Auto store brand Marine battery.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-marine-rv-12-volt-deep-cycle-battery-group-size-29hm-675-cca-29hm/10312646-P?searchTerm=deep+cycle+battery

$126, use code TRT41 (you have to log sign up and log into their page for that code)
You'll get that battery for $76. best deal you're going to find. Buy 2 and wire them together for that price, or keep the second on the charger when the other is in use and rotate them out.

FYI- that TRT41 code comes in handy all the time for bigger ticket purchases. It's $40 off a $100 purchase, online orders only (pickup in store). I've put 3 or 4 online orders in one day to do brake jobs, ets. Saved $120 on 3 orders obviously. If you want 2 batteries, put in 2 separate orders...

·
Unchained
1,965 Posts
Do you guys ever take your batteries out of the boat in the winter and run battery tenders? Does that make a difference in how long they last?

I buy the ones with 3-5 year warranty and seem to swap them out consistently every second year- am I doing something wrong?

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Do you guys ever take your batteries out of the boat in the winter and run battery tenders? Does that make a difference in how long they last?

I buy the ones with 3-5 year warranty and seem to swap them out consistently every second year- am I doing something wrong?
I connect all 3 of my batteries together in the boat during the winter and run a battery tender on it. I had 4-5 years on my last set in my old boat doing it that way.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts

I always pulled the batteries and stored them inside in a heated place. Helped a ton it seemed

·
Geocacher!!!!!!!!!!
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just downloaded the owners manual for the minn Kota 55lb.
I says to use a minimum 105 amp hour battery.
Is that the only number I should look at?
Is a group 31 rated at 105?
Thanks for all the replies so far!

·
welfare wheeler
6,990 Posts
Im buying two 6 volt golf cart batteries tomorrow for my camper.
Not sure if that would work as well for a trolling motor, or not.
They work well for rv house batteries.

·
Geocacher!!!!!!!!!!
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Picked up a Battery from Batteries Unlimited (Clyde Park & 36th)
They buy Deka batteries in bulk and resticker them with BU sticker.
Group 31 with 120 amp. hours
with a battery box $129

Thanks for all for the help making my decision!!

·
Geocacher!!!!!!!!!!
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After a few weeks of use ,
I am VERY happy with my new setup!!
Trolled almost constantly for 4 hours the other morning........
Put the battery tester on it and still at 80% charge!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts