Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has been complaining for several days about a periodic vibration in the front of the LJ. She says it is scary terrible, but I can't can't duplicate it to know what she is talking about. I broke down today and took it to Mr. Front End. They checked out all of the front suspension components, all OK. They rebalanced the tires and aligned the front end. All the little wobbles and vibrations are now gone, clean bill of health, everyone is happy. On the way home from the shop I ran over some bumpy railroad tracks at about 30mph, and the front end got to shaking so bad I couldn't hang on to the steering wheel. It didn't stop until I stopped the Jeep. It happened 3 more times on the 6 mile ride home - I kid you not the worst thing I have ever felt in a vehicle that didn't require a flatbad afterward. I watched out the window the last time it happened, and watched the LF tire turn left and right 15-20 degress in and out faster than you could count. Brakes, gas, left turn, right turn, nothing helps except coming to a complete stop.

This is not an old vehicle (2004) and not a crazy wild build (2" BB, 1" BL/MML, Rough Country shocks, OME stabilizer, 33x10.50 BFG on 8" Ravines) and it never has been wheeled hard other than my wife catching a foot or two of air a couple of times at the dunes. 43k miles. Just drove it to Columbus and back last weekend without incident.

Anybody have a thought on this?

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
you said the shop checked out the suspension, but did they look at all the steering components also? That is where I would look first. Blown tie rod end, track bar, etc. Something is loose causing your wheel to move in and out like that.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
If they aligned it to factory specs, that may be part of the problem. Sometimes, factory alignment measurements don't work with the suspension and wheel/tire changes. You need to find an alignment shop that will align it by driving it and adjusting rather than doing what the computer tells them.

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They checked the track bar bushings, tie rod/drag link, and all of those goodies. It tracks nice and straight down the road, no vibes, no steering wheel movement. They mentioned that they did not check the steering gear very closely since it only has 43k miles.

The shit hit the fan when I hit the RR bump at 35mph - this isn't wandering or tires scrubbing against each other. Violent and destructive is probably the best description I can give you.

·
BFT!
11,171 Posts
My freind had this happen he said it was caused by not having a big enough track bar :confused: said something about because of the lift you cant run the stock one it forces the tires twards eachother or something like that. Are you sure you dont need a different one with the new lift? And i mean the EXACT same problem he even called it the "Death Wobble"!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'm thinking adjustable control arms are the cure all for death wobble, but I'm not sure....

I think most death wobble is a caster issue. Crude but basic explanation, from the factory, your steering is set up facing forward. As you lift the vehicle, the axle points further and further downward, until you are eventualy steering into the street, instead of down the street.

I may be dead wrong, but if you look at the basics of my theory, I might be on to something.

Hope you get it fixed.

·
Me balls are huge
2,543 Posts
Go Toe in and dial out some caster.
If by "dial out" you mean to add more positive caster (longer LCA or short UCA) then I totally agree.

You can probably get enough caster by installing the caster adjustment bolts (if you're lucky they may already be there) and adjust the LCAs as far forward as possible. Then set the toe with a tape measure, making the front of the front tires 1/8" closer together than the back of the front tires.

Check the track bar at the frame bracket to see if there is excessive play up and down.

·
Bike Dude
2,103 Posts
I would say it is caster for sure.... I had the exact same problem only it happened at 75 mph on I75. And just did a lot of reading on death wobble, not many talked about this. I decided to just build my Long arms and being able to adjust the caster fixed it... didn't notice how bad it really was till i could adjust it

You can see the damage it caused me.
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=56001

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I have to take it back over to the shop, debating on having it towed at this point. I tried to run it up to fill the gas tank tonight and it puked out twice in less than a mile. Seems that the alignment they did has only made it worse, although at the same time I also swapped in a set of +2" front springs and pulled the spacer and stock spring combo, made the front end about 1" taller. Thanks for all the feedback, I am going to print some of this out and take it over there with me.

Damn new-fangled coil sprung Jeeps....my YJ has 140k miles, never given me this much trouble.

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Update - they pulled apart the entire front end this morning and found a bad nut on the track bar mount at the axle end. It was tight, but was still allowing movement under a lateral load. $18 dealer part.

These guys have been pretty good to work with if you need front end work in the Flint area - Mr. Front End on Saginaw St.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts