Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been reading a lot about Death Wobble on here and other forums.

I am wanting to know, is Death Wobble limited to newer Jeeps, like WJ and TJ?
Do other Jeeps experience Death Wobble, like YJ, XJ, ZJ?
What about the newest models, KJ, WK?

The reason I am asking, I've not heard of anyone in the Full Size Jeep community ever make a posting on any forum about Death Wobble.
None of the FSJ rigs I own have ever exhibited Death Wobble.
Just an insatiable thirst for fuel and rust.

I've had several friends over the years that owned CJs and some wheeled them hard, and never any mention of Death Wobble.

Is this a Chrysler era problem?
Did AMC era Jeeps ever experience Death Wobble.

·
getting dirty
971 Posts
Basically any Jeep with a coil spring suspension has a chance of getting death wobble. YJ's have a leaf spring suspension, which holds the axle firmly in place, so you will not get death wobble from them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Basically any Jeep with a coil spring suspension has a chance of getting death wobble. YJ's have a leaf spring suspension, which holds the axle firmly in place, so you will not get death wobble from them.

OH!
So this why my FSJ are steady like a rock, leaf spring suspension!
Massive leafs on my J20, I might add! :woot:

This would also explain why none of my CJ friends have never reported any of these issues.

·
Whannabe Wheeler
353 Posts
Oh my 99 XJ had death wobble like an SOB after I lifted it but after an alighnment and a new better than stock but not heavy duty steerkin stabilizer this cured the problem...Also a trackbar mount on a coil spring suspension will oblong creating another weakpoint inthe front end.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
It is a Renault Thing.

You wouldn't understand...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:lies:

My CJ has leaves and deathwobble.
None of my CJ friends have made mention of Death Wobble.
Do you think your case is isolated incident?
What do you think the cause your Death Wobble?
Is your CJ stock or modified?

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
No vehicle is immune to it, although its much more common in vehicles with 4-linked fronts than it is in leaf-sprung vehicles. The thickness or strength of the spring isn't the issue.

CJ's get it all the time from stretched shackle hanger bolts, worn bushings, retarded long shackles, slack in the steering box or shaft (in older vehicles), bad TREs like any other vehicle, or retards that use beveled bushings with shackles that have crossmembers. All these issues apply to pretty much any leaf-spring vehicle. The fact that your CJ-owning friends haven't mentioned it may indicate that they just think a f'd up ride and/or steering is "normal" for a CJ. It isn't.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
I had DW in my YJ one time. My steering was loose and I was being liberal with the throttle over some railroad tracks (Dukeboys style)

·
hug life
10,197 Posts
No vehicle is immune to it, although its much more common in vehicles with 4-linked fronts than it is in leaf-sprung vehicles. The thickness or strength of the spring isn't the issue.

CJ's get it all the time from stretched shackle hanger bolts, worn bushings, retarded long shackles, slack in the steering box or shaft (in older vehicles), bad TREs like any other vehicle, or retards that use beveled bushings with shackles that have crossmembers. All these issues apply to pretty much any leaf-spring vehicle. The fact that your CJ-owning friends haven't mentioned it may indicate that they just think a f'd up ride and/or steering is "normal" for a CJ. It isn't.

x2
Ive had DW due to many different issues on my cj-7,
1. worn out bearings in hub
2. worn tie-rod ends
3. lift

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am sure you are correct about the thickness or strength of the spring not being an issue with Death Wobble.
Allow me to brag (or jinx) the 7600# suspension of my J20.
It's not harsh like the 8400#, but still stiff enough to get a days work done.
It's springs are rock solid and while the thickness or strength has no technical bearing on why I've never had WB in my J20,
I would like to think in the back of my mind that it sizes contributes to its steady but firm ride.
I will be so bold to say, maybe DW in FSJ is not common because the FSJ is just a superior machine. HAHAHAHA!!
(just kidding! ...I am jinxed for sure now!)

LOL! Yes, I would suppose that is very true of my friends that wheel hard.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
I am sure you are correct about the thickness or strength of the spring not being an issue with Death Wobble.
Allow me to brag (or jinx) the 7600# suspension of my J20.
It's not harsh like the 8400#, but still stiff enough to get a days work done.
It's springs are rock solid and while the thickness or strength has no technical bearing on why I've never had WB in my J20,
I would like to think in the back of my mind that it sizes contributes to its steady but firm ride.
I will be so bold to say, maybe DW in FSJ is not common because the FSJ is just a superior machine. HAHAHAHA!!
(just kidding! ...I am jinxed for sure now!)
Put on some wide 35's on wheels with a bunch of backspacing and get back to me. :poke:

·
Yikes!
1,416 Posts
no

Pick one of the below

Modified

:tonka:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Put on some wide 35's on wheels with a bunch of backspacing and get back to me. :poke:
I am sure 35's would tend to help bring on DW.

My J20 is a over the road tow rig, so no lift or large tires for it.
I've not taken it off the payment (yet!)
I use it haul home more projects!
You know, every good Jeep enthusiast has got to have multiple projects and parts rigs around! :bdr2:

A Jeep without a Lift? That's Crazy talk!
I want my J20 to have low center of gravity to provide the best towing experience, thus the no lift/large tires.
While the rust on the body of J20 looks bad, it runs good and its super clean frame and drivetrain make for a great tow rig.
While my J20 is not perfect, I've lots of plans for it to make it a better tow rig.
When I ever own a decent trailer, first thing my J20 get is a trailer brake controllor, a must have for towing.

For an example of what I use my J20 for, see my posting on the IFSJA forum about me towing home
a 1993 GMC 3500 van, powered by a 6.2L Diesel.
My goal is to drop the 6.2L into my Wagoneer.
Keep on the lookout for Me! Diesel Donor Pickup - NOW WITH PICS!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kaiser Jeep
Ok, and so what is your point?

Let me get my crystal ball out and do some mind reading.

I will venture a guess that Kaiser Jeep built J series trucks with factory SOA and AMC built J series trucks were built with SUA.
Thus the point I think you are making is the early model Jeep trucks, being taller than later model Jeep truck, tow just as well even though their CoG is higher?

Anyway, it does not matter.
I apologize to the group from straying away from the original topic of this post and that was Death Wobble.
I now have an education and better understand of why DW occurs on later model Jeeps than early ones.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts