Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did one-tons into my 99 TJ. I've been wheeling it and very happy with everything except the steering. I am running a 6.0 vortec with the factory saginaw pump that came on that engine. Utilizing the factory 99 TJ gear box. Running high steer on the axles, all DOM w/heim joints.

The jeep drives great but is an absolute monster to steer. At low idle speeds it is very difficult, often two hands required. It it's in 4x4, two hands absolutely required and have to give it everything I've got to make it turn. I have already performed the standard flow/ pressure mods to the pump. Anybody have any ideas?...or is hydro assist my only way out of this? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Hydro assist. If you have a front locker or very large tires I'd say it's almost a requirement.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
something isn't right. I wheeled for years (and was a DD) on 37s with the stock pump and 4.3

it wasn't easy to turn when bound up, but drove just fine on the pavement. I did upgrade to a PSC box at one point and that was better.

sorry I can't help more. I'm no steering expert

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Part of it is you need assist, part of it is the gm pumps suck, especially at low rpms. Even with a fancy psc pump (stock style)my steering still sucks at idle even with full hydro.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,482 Posts
I have a stock GM pump on my full hydro and it works fine. I'm in the hydro assist or full hydro camp. Honestly, if you can afford it, I would make the jump straight to full hydro.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, this is all new territory to me, I'm going to need to get educated on this. What's the major difference between full hydro and hydro assist? My rig must be driveable, is that possible? Is there a recommended source for a kit or most parts? Thanks

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Something doesn't quite add up here. My tj has a 5.3 with a Dana 44 and steering just like yours. On 35" tires with the Durango box at idle I can turn my wheel with 1 finger

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,135 Posts
Two things you're going to want to do. First, go hydro assist or full hydro. West Texas Offroad is the place to go for hydro assist. They're cheap and do great work, also very good customer service. My box will be back from them on Monday.

Second, find a way to make your high steer arms double shear. The forces put out by your steering box and a hydraulic ram are going to bend and break that bolt and your arms eventually. Save yourself that headache right meow.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts