Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
PARTS SLINGER
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a d60 hp in my 95 yj. Took it to the mounds yesterday to try it out after the 1 ton install and noticed that it seems to steer real easy to the right but when i steer hard to the left i seem to have to work the wheel like a mf 'er and it seems to not steer nearly as tight of a turn as when i go right. I put a waggy pitman arm on it to help that. Is this normal on 1-tons. Oh yeah the axles are 79 fords.

·
PARTS SLINGER
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry i don't have any right now. I'll try to explain what i got to ya. I'm running northwest fabs offset highsteer arms with my tierod on the backside of the diff. The steering shaft connects directly to the steer arm. The shaft is straight, no bends in it for clearance or anything like that. I hope this helps out.

·
Registered
459 Posts
This is just a guess,if your box is old and had some problems that you did not notice with smaller tires and a stock steering setup,they might be magnified by going to the bigger tires and with northwestfab arms being so short your box has to work really hard to turn those tires.Just a heads up if you decided to do hydro assist you will need a 6 or 7 inch ram I can not remember,an 8 inch is too long unless you put stops on it.

·
PARTS SLINGER
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is just a guess,if your box is old and had some problems that you did not notice with smaller tires and a stock steering setup,they might be magnified by going to the bigger tires and with northwestfab arms being so short your box has to work really hard to turn those tires.Just a heads up if you decided to do hydro assist you will need a 6 or 7 inch ram I can not remember,an 8 inch is too long unless you put stops on it.
have you run the northwest fab arms before? If so do you have any thoughts on them? Anything i need to worry about? I bought them becuase i liked the one peice design and they look like they would be tough as hell.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have put them on a rig,the guy has been running them for 2 years now with no problems.The only thing I did not like was the fact that they were so short,so without hydro assist the steering box has to work hard to turn the wheels since it does not have the advantage of the longer arm for leverage.The only other thing is clearance issues when the tires are turned to full lock the rear tierod gets close to the axle tube so it is hard to clear shocks.The rig that I built with these arms worked fine with it setting there on stands(there was an inch of clearance between the shocks and steering shaft at full turn)but when fully flexed just right the shock tubes got smashed by the steering,the shocks were mounted on top of the axle right in the center of the tube.Other than that I liked the quilty alot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts