Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm investigating a Dana 44 front axle at the moment. I want something around 61-62" WMS-WMS, and a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern. Basically FSJ territory.

Except not seeing much in the way of pass drop FSJ fronts around me with what I want in them.

Now, I have access to a Chevy 3/4 ton dana 44, which I believe has the correct gearing. Its also 8 bolt wheels.

I have no problem cutting it down to the size I want, want to know what parts can and can't be used with Wagoneer bits to make it 6 on 5.5.

Is it just replacing the hubs? Are the chevy and jeep stubs the same length, or do I need the jeep stubs as well? Do the hubs interchange on the chevy spindle?

etc, etc, etc..

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
calipers/brackets/hubs and rotors. The 3/4 ton should have the large bearing spindles so as long as you find 6 lug hubs for the large bearing you are good to go. 80 up waggy used the large spindles. Stubs are the same.

·
Balls Deep
4,569 Posts
i forget, are you doing a three link in the front? if not, the chevy has perches on the top, and jeep has them on the bottom, IIRC.

it looks like you guys have all the spindle info already.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
5 lug= ford 5 bolt spindles or chevy 6 bolt small bearing spindles
6 lug= large or small bearing 6 bolt spindles
8 lug= large bearing spindles

keep in mind the ford 5 lug stuff is .75" wider per side than the 6 lug stuff.
So if I wanted to switch a ford 44 to 6 lug, I need to use small bearing parts? Assuming I keep the ford spindles.... Is it worth swapping knuckles out, to switch to big large bearing? And get flat tops in the process?

·
5,820 Posts
So if I wanted to switch a ford 44 to 6 lug, I need to use small bearing parts? Assuming I keep the ford spindles.... Is it worth swapping knuckles out, to switch to big large bearing? And get flat tops in the process?
I'm not sure if you will have a problem with the spindle length or not... part of me thinks you will because the ford spindles are shorter than teh chevy stuff...

can anyone who has done it give a parts break-down?

I think your best and safest bet would be to get chevy knuckles out and you can get the strongest high steer knuckles out there. saves a lot of guessing on parts and whether they are compatible or not... buy a $150 chevy axle for the parts and you'll be much further ahead than trying to buy one part at a time.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I'm not sure if you will have a problem with the spindle length or not... part of me thinks you will because the ford spindles are shorter than teh chevy stuff...

can anyone who has done it give a parts break-down?

I think your best and safest bet would be to get chevy knuckles out and you can get the strongest high steer knuckles out there. saves a lot of guessing on parts and whether they are compatible or not... buy a $150 chevy axle for the parts and you'll be much further ahead than trying to buy one part at a time.
That's what I'm thinking. There's one on grand rapids CL for $100 with new ball joints, u-joints and brakes. I'm just waiting to hear back whether it's 6 or 8 lug. I can't even buy the hubs and rotors for $100....

We'll see how it goes....

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Aftermarket chevy high steer knuckles are available for Ford outers.

I'm positive we used Chevy knuckles & brakes, machined big bearing spindles, and ford hubs on something at some point. I can't remember if we machined the big bearing spindles to Ford inner bearing ID because we had to, or because we didn't have any small bearing spindles.

A pirate4x4 search would probably answer your questions.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,654 Posts
I'm positive we used Chevy knuckles & brakes, machined big bearing spindles, and ford hubs on something at some point. I can't remember if we machined the big bearing spindles to Ford inner bearing ID because we had to, or because we didn't have any small bearing spindles.

A pirate4x4 search would probably answer your questions.
or here. you and I copied this over from that other place before it shutdown. info is in post #2

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=685

·
"The Situation"
14,415 Posts

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
haggar if you want these i could arrange a pick up.. GF's over that way so i could make a visit if you chipped some gas to get the axles..
Naw, I threw out the Dana 44 idea a few weeks ago, they just don't hold up like my toyota crap does, so I'm doing something different. (now now now, no comments, please. For *me*, in *my* application, the toy stuff holds up better than dana 44s, since the primary failure point on the d44s on our trail rides is shafts, joints, and hubs, where the aftermarket toy stuff is waaaay stronger). \

Hopefully I can make some progress this weekend. All the new tube material, jig bar, alignment stuff is here, just need a few hours with the lathe and plasma cutter and I'll be somewhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.