Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 TJ, i have ran every possible number off the axle here http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/demenu.aspx

I am obviously not pulling the right numbers.

Every dana 35 I have owned has had the rubber plug in the diff cover for the fill whole.

This has a threaded plug, also it just doesn't "look" like a 35 cover to me. It has been a while since I have looked closely. Also the diff cover has 10 bolts holding it on, I thought the 35's only had 8 bolts?

If it is a 44 that would make me marginally happier.:sonicjay:

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,274 Posts
sell it to me and put in the 35= much more dependable:tonka:

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Yes, a "D" with 6 sides. :miff: :tonka:

Yeah, a "D" has 6-sides when drawn with straight lines. What's your point?

If you look at a 8.25 housing, it has 8 "sides" around the cover opening. How many sides to stop signs have in Grand Rapids?

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
:miff:

8.25 looks like a stop sign.

D44 looks more like a "D".

please tell me ur kidding. if a 8.25 looks like a stop sign, then why is it that 9.5 out of 10 people on the cherokee forums don't know how to tell a D35 and 8.25 apart??? because they look the same. the only difference is the housing on the 8.25 has a small lip on the bottom. other than that, the covers look identical to somebody that doesn't know what they're looking for.
even my XJ has a 8.25 in it, and it is round/oval unlike the D44 that's sitting on the floor being build to replace the 8.25.:miff: :poke: :miff: :miff: :miff: :miff:

the D44

does not look like a "D".

·
Can't Worry About It
1,070 Posts
the 8.25 has a flat bottom on the center section with large axle tubes. the d35 has tiny axle tubes and has a similar oval cover to a 8.25 and usually dana is stamped into the cover.

a d44 has a 6 sided cover and larger axle tubes than a d35

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
jeeptjpaul and rocky are BOTH right. but i said "to somebody that doesn't know what they're looking for". seriously. i think about 20 people a day make threads on naxja about "do i have a D35 or 8.25".

8.25 has the lip on the cover like jeeptjpaul said.
8.25 has the flat lip on the bottom like jared said, and
8.25 has a "slightly" different shape than the D35.

but seriously......you'd be surprised how many people can look at them side by side and not see the difference. it's really sad.

how the hell did we start arguing over a 8.25. this thread is about a TJ which only had D35 and D44 options to argue about. LOL

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.