Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i just recently installed the dana 300 twin stick setup into my jeep. Can anyone that runs this tell me if they have any problems getting the t-case to engage? Seems like i have to work with mine for a bit to be able to get it to engage. And when i do get both shifters to where they need to be and try to move it seems like something is binding up in the t-case. Anybody have any pointers on what mite be going on?

Thanks,
Ben

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,939 Posts
When I want to shift from hi to low I need to pull/push the stick in the direction and let off the break.

I have had my tcase bind up on me...seems like the front will want to stay in low and the rear will want to be in high. After some fussing around with it, it will unbind.

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
Did you remove any of the detent pills in the shift rod housing? If not, then you need to shift it in the proper sequence.

·
Visiting Admin
9,065 Posts
sounds like you are putting one in low and the other in high

both foward is 4 low both backwards is 4 high

passenger side foward front dig low( drivers stick in the middle)

·
Visiting Admin
9,065 Posts
if its still passenger side drop non flipped dana 300

the drivers side stick controls the rear output.

foward is low range middle is neutral and backwards is high

passenger stick is the front out put

foward is low range middle is neutral and backwards is high

now you can do either 2 low or high using the drivers side stick with the front in neutral or shift them together for either 4 high or 4 low

if you put the rear in neutral you can only do front low. by pushing the pass. side stick foward.

There is a shifter mod you can do internally to be able to get front wheel drive high range but i have never done it.

·
Visiting Admin
9,065 Posts
also sometime i would need to shift the trans either into neutral or rock it back and fourth if i got it bound.

i always found it easy to shift if i was in neutral slighty rolling

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Do you have to move the drivers side stick first before you move the passenger side or does it really matter?

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
Hosejockey is right on.

For 4 hi, rear must engage first, then front.
For 4 low, front must engage first, then rear.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks shawn, thats what i was looking for. Is there anything special to do when shifting into 2hi? Seems like when i try it and have the passenger side stick in neutral and move the driver side stick back it wants to bind up. I try to put it in drive to get it to engage and it doesn't. Any ideas on what i could do to help it engage?

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
Thanks shawn, thats what i was looking for. Is there anything special to do when shifting into 2hi? Seems like when i try it and have the passenger side stick in neutral and move the driver side stick back it wants to bind up. I try to put it in drive to get it to engage and it doesn't. Any ideas on what i could do to help it engage?
With the front in neutral, the rear should slip in and out of 2 hi without problem, I never had a problem with mine.

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts

·
66' Gladiator
525 Posts
I always put the front in neutral and put the rear either in 4 hi or 4 lo depending on what I want then engage the front and like hosejockey said neutral slightly rolling seems to do the trick most of the time

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I sometimes have to bump my clutch while in gear to get my rear in hi or low. Not often though. Since you still have your pills in, you may have to overtravel your rear shifter to get it to shift for the front. Pretty common.

42,949 Posts
Mine won't shift at all in drive, it will sometimes shift in park, but it will always shift while I'm in neutral and moving very slowly.. Used to bother me, now I'm used to it.

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
I cannot get it fully into 4hi without rolling in neutral

1 - 20 of 20 Posts