Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Big Belly Customs
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 92 xj with 4.56 gears in the axles D30/8.25, and i have an 01 xj with 3.55 gears (d30/8.25) i want to swap the gears but don't want to tear them both down just to find out shit wont work.
I haven't had much luck finding info on this subject either.

Cliff notes: will 92 xj dana 30 gears fit in my 01 xj d30?

any input would be great thanks

·
Just a $900 jeep...
235 Posts
if you have high pinion d30 in the 91 and a low pinion in the 01 that wont work. As for the rear I beleive you're ok, the only difference is the older on has a 27 spline axle vs. A 29 spline axle in the newer one.

·
Big Belly Customs
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the high/low pinion gears won't interchange, just didn't know if there were different ring gear thicknesses or pinion length/ diameters that may cause issue. My other thought was that if the 92 axle is HP and my 01 axle is LP, could I swap my shafts or at least the knuckles and brakes off the newer one onto the older one without issue?

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
I know the high/low pinion gears won't interchange, just didn't know if there were different ring gear thicknesses or pinion length/ diameters that may cause issue. My other thought was that if the 92 axle is HP and my 01 axle is LP, could I swap my shafts or at least the knuckles and brakes off the newer one onto the older one without issue?
Gears won't work in D30 because of the high/low pinion issue. Everything else will swap so long as you use 01 rotors with 01 unit bearings.

For the Chrysler, the 2001 will have 29-spline shafts, the 92 will have 27-spline. Gears will interchange.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts