Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking a lot about searching for a good condition LC to daily. I am leaning towards a fj60 because it seems a little more family friendly than a fj40. I've also been reading a lot of people enjoy the fj80 too.

Anyhow just looking for opinions.

A little background. I currently lease a 2014 F150. I like it but it's my first experiment with leasing. I am sort of getting tired of payments and the thought of owning a brand new modern vehicle scares me! Way way way to reliant on electronics and sensors.

I want to get back to simple. Like the days when I had a TJ wrangler. And to be honest I've also been looking hard at a new 4 door wrangler. Again the electronics issue bugs me. I can't tell you how many times I was caught with my TJ in the rain with nothing but soft top and no windows or doors.

I don't mind turning wrenches. I am by no means a mechanic but I can figure things out pretty good and am not scared to do so. I am comfortable with the basics, brakes, oil changes, lift kit install, ect... I won't be DIY engine rebuilds, but I am ok taking it out and hauling it to the pros if need be.

Thanks everyone

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
I would want a fzj80 with the factory lockers. They are like a dam luxury car but are still really simple and durable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I drive an all original 69 f100. I think people forget these were all DDs at some point and with a little upkeep anything can be trusted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you buy a 97 fzj with factory lockers with 200k miles? $4k obo.

I haven't contacted seller yet about records.

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Miles wouldn't scare me if it appeared to be well maintained

·
Registered
804 Posts
It's the things like ac lines, evaporators, blend doors, window regulators that always drive me crazy on older vehicles. Every item on a old truck gets old and tired. Just plan on frequently having something to do on it. especially if you like everything to work. That's my issue anyhow. If it's there I want it to work correctly.

·
Thin Line Offroad
5,152 Posts
I daily drive both. The FJ60 is a stiffer ride but has a much roomier interior, and I enjoy the manual. Stock ones in the U.S. did not get overdrive but an H55f swap is fairly straightforward on an Oct 84 newer truck. Not too bad on the older ones.

The 80 rides nicer but lots less headroom. I'm six foot two. The 80 is also kinda slow. Plus the front axle is smaller/weaker than a 60.

60's are way more rust prone
and getting a clean example is tough.

Both have pros and cons but are great rigs. Personally I'd take a 60, but not winter drive it. If you need a year round rig the 80 might be your flavor.

And I could maybe be talked out of my clean (but high mile) stock 3xlocked LX450 for the right price.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts