Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am starting to get to the point where I am making plans to either 3-link my front axle or make some new extended arms to eliminate my mounts that hang so low under my frame.

Question part: On 78 and 79 Ford HP44's, are the wedges cast? Could a link mount be welded to the wedges if I'd cut them?

This is basically what I am looking into, the red line shows the cut I'd make then a mount would be welded there.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
you should be able to see if the wedges are welded on or not. If they are then cut them off and weld to the tubes.

·
FORD The Best Never Rest
2,521 Posts
78 & 79 are part of the knuckle. You cannot cut them were you want to. If you do it would then be open to your axleshaft. You should be able to weld to them. If you are a good welder.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
When I cut mine apart, I was surprised how little material there was there. In my opinion, cutting and welding should be avoided, I would take another route. What about extended, wristed radius arms? Extend 'em both and wrist/pin the other....

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Updating this with another question...

What vehicle and years should I look for if I were looking for a HP44 with the wedges welded on originally instead of being part of the axle tubes? It would have to be the same wms-wms measurement.

·
No Money = No Fun
7,898 Posts
77-79 F-150 had both options I believe. Just have to look at them to determine which style. Mine had weld-on wedges and it was from a '78 or '79...can't remember which exactly.

·
Stacks bring the awesome
2,642 Posts
76-77 is what i have under my truck and i cut the wedges off to weld leaf spring perches on it. good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts