Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got everything i need to do my gear swap in my 77 F150 D44 except new seals at the diff/carrier

Napa can't find the seals (don't list them) nor can carquest

anybody got any help on this, i don't wanna get them online cause i wanna do the swap tomorrow on my day off and i have already been waiting a couple weeks on parts etc.....

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
got everything i need to do my gear swap in my 77 F150 D44 except new seals at the diff/carrier

anybody got any help on this, i don't wanna get them online cause i wanna do the swap tomorrow on my day off and i have already been waiting a couple weeks on parts etc.....
I have d44 seals here... but I am not sure if ford is the same as Jeep/Chevy. If you can verify that, and the parts stores still don't list the seals I would be happy to sell you two. If I get them in the mail before 4, you will have them tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

:miff:

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
or even part numbers to cross reference

i ran into the same prob when i swapped gears in my TTB D35, i ended up getting pinion nut and crush sleeve for a XJ D35 cause napa didn't list a Ford D35

and its a non disco (i can't say i have ever seen a disco ford before?)

·
Size Matters
720 Posts
do you have an old seal?

there is 2 different seals!!!

1 with a 2.625 od and 1 with a 2.286 od

NAPA does list them... whoever you talked to is an IDIOT!!!

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i don't doubt that, i searched on their website napaprolink and couldn't find it either, i'll have to measure the axle shaft sealing surface, but i'm sure its the larger

you got any part numbers?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
call the dealership, get the factory part number, then start cross referencing it with the local parts store. or try looking up Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 87 XJ, 97+ TJ, 03+Rubicon (yes i know it's still a TJ, but different 44), and check them. i wouldn't be surprised if one of their 44 seals would fit.

·
Size Matters
720 Posts
the axle shaft seal surface is the same.. it is the outside diameter that is the diff...

NAPA PART #13165 or NAPA PART #13246

hope it helps!!!!

·
Support the Sport!
2,015 Posts
The ones that went in my Waggy 44 are these

spicer part # 620257

they looked like these:

if yours looked like that coming out, they are the same diameter for both sides of the differential. unlike NAPA or any other part store will tell you. Some 44's do have differences but not all.

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The ones that went in my Waggy 44 are these

spicer part # 620257

they looked like these:

if yours looked like that coming out, they are the same diameter for both sides of the differential. unlike NAPA or any other part store will tell you. Some 44's do have differences but not all.
the axle shaft seal surface is the same.. it is the outside diameter that is the diff...

NAPA PART #13165 or NAPA PART #13246

hope it helps!!!!
Didn't end up replacing the seals before, but now they have started to leak, so they need replacing asap since i leave in three days for attica.

i got the 13165 today and it doesn't match and won't fit my axle. The one i pulled out look nothing like the 13165. Heres the old seals next to the 13165 seal

the best measurement i could get with my micrometer of the axle bore where the seals sit was 2.187" and the old seals on the outside edges measured approc 2.210 but those were a little deformed since i had a hell of a time getting them out of the diff housing.

Broncograveyard shows this seal

looks like i may have pulled the seal apart from itself, gonna run back out and look at it closer.

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just went back out and this IS the seal i have in my truck....

the 13165 seams to fit in the housing and it fits over the shaft.....should still seal, maybe a redesign?

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i just went back out and this IS the seal i have in my truck....

the 13165 seams to fit in the housing and it fits over the shaft.....should still seal, maybe a redesign?
update from my stupidness, when i pulled my seals out of the housing the cone shaped steal part stayed in the axle and just the seal came out. Thats why in an before post in this thread they did not look the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts