Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
is the pinion seal just pressed in, or is there some sort of retainer that i need to worry about?
You'll have to pull the yoke off, pull the pinion seal out (just pressed in), then pull the outer pinion bearing (and oil slinger, if equipped).

Why are you pulling it?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
well about forever ago he toasted his pinion bearing right after he put his new gears in and I think he's just getting around to fixing it.

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
well about forever ago he toasted his pinion bearing right after he put his new gears in and I think he's just getting around to fixing it.
Which pinion bearing did he toast? Or is this just a guessing game where we put a new bearing in with the old race and don't inspect the rest of them and hope that fixes it?

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
me too.....me seals are leaking and the trans shop i had my jeep in last said the pinion bearing was shot and they recomend i get it done soon.....that was like in feb......i suxor at life and its not done..............and y don't u like purple......how about orange

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
Which pinion bearing did he toast? Or is this just a guessing game where we put a new bearing in with the old race and don't inspect the rest of them and hope that fixes it?
there are multiple pinion bearings????

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
me too.....me seals are leaking and the trans shop i had my jeep in last said the pinion bearing was shot and they recomend i get it done soon.....that was like in feb......i suxor at life and its not done..............and y don't u like purple......how about orange
Purple is not a good answer, neither is orange, but as far as colors go they're pretty good guys, I guess.

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
sorry ......like i said i suxor at the life game......not an auto mech....i work on planes.......i can do the work if i have instruction, just don't know stuff in and out like u guys
They're not really hard to do, but if you're going to go to the trouble of doing them then do it right. This will involve pulling the front axles and differential to change the pinion bearings AND races. You'll also need a new collapsable spacer (or shims, depending on application).

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
my bad he said 30.....i need the rear done.....35 obviously......but would it entail the same thing??.....o and cause im curious how much do u guys charge to do this and how long does it take???

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
my bad he said 30.....i need the rear done.....35 obviously......but would it entail the same thing??.....o and cause im curious how much do u guys charge to do this and how long does it take???
Yes, basically the same thing. Be about $230 with parts, tax, and labor. Takes a few hours.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts