Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gustafson
10,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the cost of TV these days, I am really contemplating getting rid of my Directv and going to a streaming service. I have been a loyal Directv customer for over a decade and I love the picture and the service, but the price is just getting too expensive. I would just like some feedback on streaming as your main source of TV viewing. We currently have Hulu (basic) and I am thinking of upgrading it to Hulu with live TV. I see there are other streaming services out there, Youtube, Sling, Fubu, etc. Any input / opinions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
My wife and I cut the cable maybe a year ago. We do get more channels streaming. She purchased a roku stick which streams the content. She also has at&t streaming which we get local channels and history, discovery and a ton more. I'm sure on the cost but I'll find out more on how she has it set up. I think it's about $80 a month then we have cable internet on top of that.

·
Gustafson
10,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am currently paying $195 a month for TV and internet, and with the changes I plan on making I should be right around $120. I just want to make sure it's the right decision.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
They call it direct stream from at&t. A smart TV can stream everything you would need. You can get peacock streaming through comcast for free, its an app. You can access to tons of tv programs through "direct stream"
Sling TV is cheaper but you need a roof mount ant. Amazon prime members are free as well. Netflix is a streaming app we use.
It takes a bit to get used to the streaming service, from cable but you get more access everything you want to watch which is so much more.

·
Project Antitube
1,042 Posts
By the time you buy into the plethora of streaming services you end up buying, it's as much as anything else. Gone are the days when you could just have one streaming service.

We have Dish (the 180 channel version I think, I'm not sure) for $86 with two separate receivers (one is in the "camper" located at my parents' house). Our Comcast Internet bill is $92. We have HBO Max, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. We used to get HBO Max discounted through Dish, but AT&T are a bunch of dickbags. We used to have several others including Disney+ because we have Verizon cellphones, and they all sucked because you get one or two things. Paying for TV to watch targeted commercials on my bandwidth is preposterous to me, which is mostly what budget Hulu is. Plus I hate having to spend 3 minutes trying to watch TV while opening app #762, waiting for it to upload all of my mined data, load some stupid banner, then let me try to open some show while it buffers for a minute.

Dish Video on Demand gets us access to most of the other content we want. We can watch anything we want on it from anywhere because it has Sling built into it. You can even stream SeriusXM over it.

I, personally, hardly ever watch TV. Mostly it's movies on HBO Max and it usually takes me a week to finish one. But the boss lady literally constantly has the TV on. I would say though that she uses the 4k Firestick to stream most of the stuff and therefore watches not-Dish stuff the most. I use the Dish to do most of it.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,822 Posts
With the cost of TV these days, I am really contemplating getting rid of my Directv and going to a streaming service. I have been a loyal Directv customer for over a decade and I love the picture and the service, but the price is just getting too expensive. I would just like some feedback on streaming as your main source of TV viewing. We currently have Hulu (basic) and I am thinking of upgrading it to Hulu with live TV. I see there are other streaming services out there, Youtube, Sling, Fubu, etc. Any input / opinions would be much appreciated.
Wife and I cut out DirecTV a few months ago, I do not miss it at all. It got to the point thag we wouldnt even turn it on for several days and we had stuff recorded that sat unwatched for months. Was just a waste of money to have it. Especially it being $130+ a month.

We pay for netflix and Amazon prime. Not long after we got rid of regular TV we found out that there is a shit ton of free TV channels and free to watch TV apps, already loaded on our Vizio and Samsung TVs.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,541 Posts
Can you watch local sports like Red Wings that are only on Fox? (or whatever it is now...)
What about the major news outlets? I cancelled everything and went to TV antenna only a few years back. The kicker was when I wanted to watch the presidential debates that were only on CNN or MSNBC so we re-upped. As I get closer to retirement, this is something I need to cut cost.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,512 Posts
We got rid of the Comcast bundles (phone, internet, tv) last year. With promos it would be < $200, but once those would run out it would be around $250/month and you had to threaten to quit to keep it lower.

Still have comcast internet for $90/month. Moved our house phone to AT&T family cell bundle and didn't raise our AT&T rate. Went to youtube tv and shortly after we joined it went up to $65/month. So it's still a savings even with YTTV being more expensive than other alternatives.

youtube tv has been ok, has a DVR feature that we can save shows. Has local channels, and can watch local sports. It's a little clunkier than normal tv interface, but everybody in the family has adjusted. I had tried hulu live tv before the big switch and didn't feel the savings were worth the loss in features. Didn't try sling but based on reviews, I don't think it offers more for less either.

We stream through our xbox. Works good enough to not trying to find an alternative. We have a logitech remote that makes it so we don't have to use xbox controller.

Right now we have HBO for free as part of AT&T phone bundle, Prime video as part of amazon prime package, and I watch many youtube shows. We pay for motortrend and netflix. We had disney plus for a bit but cancelled it due to lack of use.

·
Yooper In Training
7,346 Posts
We ditched DirectTV 2 or 3 years ago. It was like $60 when we started back in 2012, and it crept up around $150 by 2018 for the exact plan. Threatening to quit worked for a couple years to drop it down a bit, but eventually they wouldn't do shit about it for anything but new customers. So we ditched it. It was a little annoying at first not watching some of the background TV shows I'd put on late at night while I surf on my phone or pass out on the couch, but I found other ones on streaming to supplement. I see zero reason to go back to satellite, especially since we don't watch any sports, TV news, or care about the general broadcasting stuff.

We had HBO for a while, eventually got bored and cancelled. Disney+ is a must with the kids, and I got a good deal on that plus Hulu(which we also use) and ESPN(which we don't use) through my Verizon plan. Amazon Prime we'd have anyway for buying stuff. Netflix is a must. I think that's it. Our main TV is a smart TV so that's easy, the 2 older ones in other rooms have Amazon Firesticks that work fine. Kids watch a lot of idiot youtube "stars" but that's all free.

·
Gustafson
10,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We ditched DirectTV 2 or 3 years ago. It was like $60 when we started back in 2012, and it crept up around $150 by 2018 for the exact plan. Threatening to quit worked for a couple years to drop it down a bit, but eventually they wouldn't do shit about it for anything but new customers. So we ditched it. It was a little annoying at first not watching some of the background TV shows I'd put on late at night while I surf on my phone or pass out on the couch, but I found other ones on streaming to supplement. I see zero reason to go back to satellite, especially since we don't watch any sports, TV news, or care about the general broadcasting stuff.

We had HBO for a while, eventually got bored and cancelled. Disney+ is a must with the kids, and I got a good deal on that plus Hulu(which we also use) and ESPN(which we don't use) through my Verizon plan. Amazon Prime we'd have anyway for buying stuff. Netflix is a must. I think that's it. Our main TV is a smart TV so that's easy, the 2 older ones in other rooms have Amazon Firesticks that work fine. Kids watch a lot of idiot youtube "stars" but that's all free.
These are things I watch. It is my understanding that they are available on Hulu and YTTV, that is why I am considering the switch.

I have it in my head that we shouldn't be paying more that $100 a month for TV and internet. As you mentioned, back in 2011 when I moved into this house, that's around where it was.... $200 a month is too much for the amount of time we use it, but when I want it, I want it, so I can't just abandon all pay TV. With Comcast internet and HULU live TV, it puts me around $120, and that is closer to where I want to be $$$ wise. I guess I will try it and see.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,686 Posts
I am currently paying $195 a month for TV and internet, and with the changes I plan on making I should be right around $120. I just want to make sure it's the right decision.

One thing you can do to save is..... call them and say you are dropping them, they will make some great offers.

The only thing I have is netflix, but I do not watch a lot of tv. When I cancelled my dish 16 months ago, they wanted to cut my bill big time to get me to stay. Nope, I had already made up my mind.

·
Gustafson
10,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One thing you can do to save is..... call them and say you are dropping them, they will make some great offers.

The only thing I have is netflix, but I do not watch a lot of tv. When I cancelled my dish 16 months ago, they wanted to cut my bill big time to get me to stay. Nope, I had already made up my mind.
After years of telling them I want my bill put back to the promotional price, they aren't doing it anymore. Or, they're not lowering it as much. And..... I'm tired of having to do that.

I guess I'll give it a whirl and see.

·
Hang all the thieves
1,770 Posts
I've had Frontier internet since I bought my house in '14, costs $50 a month. Was $30 for the first couple of years. I have a Roku stick that I watch Amazon prime on or YouTube. I don't miss cable or the cable internet companies. Granted, Frontier uses the phone lines, but I've rarely been affected by download speed. One other bonus, Frontier doesn't call me 4 times a week pressuring me to add services, in fact, they don't call at all.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I haven't had cable in 5 years, I'm a pirate lol.

Raspberry Pi running Kodi, Real-Debrid subscription @ 10 bucks for 6 months.

·
Gustafson
10,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't had cable in 5 years, I'm a pirate lol.

Raspberry Pi running Kodi, Real-Debrid subscription @ 10 bucks for 6 months.
I just looked into that. too complicated....haha

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I just looked into that. too complicated....haha
I literally do nothing but re-up my Real-Debrid subscription every 6 months.

I used to have to tinker with it constantly when I was trying to use the free "builds", but since I went Seren/Real Debrid.... I just watch TV when I want, whatever network.

I don't do sports, or fights though, just shows, so it's easy to catch them the next day or whatever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts