Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to get your credit score for free if you've already pulled the 3 free credit reports in a year?

·
The land of Boredom..
4,224 Posts
you know the more your credit score is checked, the worse it looks, i guess everytime its checked it drops your score a point or two, or something like that

Or i was being completely BS'd by the guy that told me

·
i don't much care for you
2,397 Posts
as long as it is the bureaus pulling it, you are just fine. if it is a credit card company, a mortgage company, or anything else really... yes it will affect your score

·
Registered
583 Posts
It really doesn't matter who checks your credit, its still a credit check and yes, it does lower your score. It doesn't lower it by too much, but if you're borderline already, then you could be hurt by too many checks. Also, if you are looking to get a new credit card, too many checks looks bad like you are trying to apply for like 10 cards at a time.

As for whether you can get it done for free.... maybe you need to go to another service. Check to see if your bank can pull it for you.

·
Blowd up
6,335 Posts
Soft credit checks (you doing them yourself) don't show up the same way as a credit bureau, credit card, etc. That system is there for your own benefit, not to hurt you.

·
2,397 Posts
Soft credit check vs. hard credit check

A soft credit check is one that does not affect your credit score. A soft credit check is recorded in your credit history, but is only visible to you and not visible to lenders. You can check your credit report and score as often as you want with no negative effects to your credit score. Some examples of soft credit inquiries are:

Credit score and credit reports you request for yourself.
Pre-approval credit checks done by credit card companies and mortgage lenders. (You know that junk mail you hate to receive? Lenders who send out pre-approved loan applications do a soft credit check to find potential customers in a certain credit score range. If you apply, then a hard credit check is made to verify your score).
Routine credit checks by your credit card or insurance company to review your current credit situation.
Pre-employment screenings by potential employers or for a security clearance.
Identity verification when opening a new bank account (note: some institutions do a hard credit inquiry).

A hard credit check is one that can negatively impact your credit score. These occur when you give a lender permission to check your credit history with the intent to open up a new line of credit. Each hard credit check can cause your score to drop by roughly 5 points and can effect your score for 6 months to a year. The hard credit pull is visible to anyone and will remain on your credit report for up to two years. The good news is that hard credit pulls are almost always voluntary - i.e. you are applying for a new line of credit and give permission for the credit inquiry to happen.

The reason your credit score will drop is because the more money you have access to through loans, the more difficult it is to repay. That is why your available credit is part of your credit score.

Some examples of hard credit pulls occur when:

You apply for a credit card.
You apply for a mortgage, auto loan, HELOC, or other loan.
Opening a new bank account at certain institutions. (here is a list of banks that do hard credit pulls).
Opening a new cell phone account.

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't care about the minimal point hit to the score, I just don't want to pay for it.

I disputed a bunch of stuff via certified letter back in October with all three agencies and none of them have mailed me back results. Supposedly they have to respond in 45 days?

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That won't be instant gratification. I'll have to mail in the rejection and wait forever - but no score, just a report.

·
2,397 Posts
just go onto transunion, equifax and experian.. you can do it there

·
Registered
336 Posts
The score on your homeowners insurance is an "insurance score" not your credit score, it is based on credit, claims, and more.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
That won't be instant gratification. I'll have to mail in the rejection and wait forever - but no score, just a report.
Don't be so old school. You're already on the internet. Like Lemur said, go to their sites.

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, Experian's records said I already pulled it.

I really am going to the dealer after work. I'll get a report one way or another.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts