Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Thin Line Offroad
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys.

Tues I am flying down to Sarasota Florida to go car shopping. Here's why: My mom lives down there and her old Buick gave up the ghost. She knows squat about cars so she bought me a ticket to come help her shop.

She currently has/had a 93 Park Ave and that is the smallest she'd want. Preferably looking for something a bit bigger, up to about the Tahoe/Yukon size.

No real brand loyalty here but there are several models of all makers we are avoiding for a number of reasons.

We do not want:

6 cylinder Trailblazers
Explorers
Wacky Foreign cars that parts are expensive/hard to find
Anything with a known history of being a drama
Rust

We like Tahoes and Yukons, Crown Vics, Malibus, etc.

Heres the hard part: Looking for something preferably under 3K with a max of 4k. Working A/C a must and no projects or junkers. Older is fine.

Also:

I am personally in the market for another Ford Excursion or 3/4 ton Suburban 4x4. Diesel preferred but not absolutely necessary. My max is 5k and I would definitely consider a non molested 60-91 Suburban as well.

So, if you are bored and feel like posting up crap you find while surfing the net at work instead of working, please do so. If anything this might be interesting :naughty:

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
You should be swimming in a sea of grand marquis', crown Vic's, w-body galore, lesabre, etc.

Also don't rule out a beige Camry or Avalon. They arent really anymore expensive to repair.

·
Thin Line Offroad
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, there are a thousand options that seem to meet your criteria. Just go to Sarasota CL and put in your price range.
Exactly. And thanks! I've been perusing it myself and will probably pick out a few primo prospects the day before I head down.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

·
Thin Line Offroad
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found!

After looking at tons of promising prospects that turned out to be junk we went back to my moms place to regroup.

While cooling dowm with a rum and coke I hit Craigslist and found this gem had just been posted. Garage kept by a one owner 90 year old who just passed away his sons were asking $3,500. I got them down to $2,600.

2003 Buick LeSabre. Fully loaded in mint condition with brand new tires and headliner. 113,000 miles.

Mom is happy :)

·
Thin Line Offroad
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems that Florida should be swimming in cheap low mileage seniormobiles.
There was a lot, but most we looked at were either poorly maintained and/or baked from the sun. 9 out of 10 dashes and interiors were shot.

·
the ocean called
10,281 Posts
Reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where Kramer rubs butter all over his body and accidentally falls asleep in the sun.

·
Thin Line Offroad
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How are the leather seats? Any extra cracking or wear due to the sun?
Being the buick was garage kept they are mint but most we looked at were baked. Cloth interiors held up much better but dashes still took beatings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts