Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my girlfriend was talking to her mom earlier about her dad that past away a while back , apparently her dad had the 1st style craftsman tool box , i do remember seeing it a few years back , it was wood and had pull out drawers and the top opened up like todays style tool boxes , any one got any pictures of these style tool boxxes ? im not sure if its actually the 1st style craftsman tool box or not but it is pretty cool , girlfriends mom got offered 2000bucks for it in 1991 when she got it re-finished ( she still owns it )

·
Little Member
23,794 Posts
Almost sounds like a machinists box with the wood drawers. I've seen a few over the years but none lately.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i was thinking it was to after doing some looking around , its a pretty cool peice thow , its got a wood panel that slides in the front of the drawers to lock it

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
It's probably a machinist box. Try to find some tool forums, I know there are some around. Google it and try to find something more suited for antique tools, I can almost guarantee you there is a forum for tool collectors.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Looks more like art than a tool box.
If I had one like that, the only things that would go in it is my very small collection of antique Ford tools, and it sure as hell wouldnt be in the barn. That box looks amazing, I'd love to have one like that.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
If I had one like that, the only things that would go in it is my very small collection of antique Ford tools, and it sure as hell wouldnt be in the barn. That box looks amazing, I'd love to have one like that.
I'd love to have one to stick in the bed of my dad's '33 Ford pickup. I've always wanted to go with a "theme" for this truck. Of course I don't think I'd get a fully restored box.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I'd love to have one to stick in the bed of my dad's '33 Ford pickup. I've always wanted to go with a "theme" for this truck. Of course I don't think I'd get a fully restored box.
have a woodworker build one like that pictured, and do some research to find some vintage latches, hinges, misc hardware for it...would look just as cool, but surely cost less tehn finding one and having it restored, or buying one that has been restored....I doubt there are many of those wooden toolboxes still around in that good of condition, anyway.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
have a woodworker build one like that pictured, and do some research to find some vintage latches, hinges, misc hardware for it...would look just as cool, but surely cost less tehn finding one and having it restored, or buying one that has been restored....I doubt there are many of those wooden toolboxes still around in that good of condition, anyway.
I know you can still buy wood machinist tool boxes but to make them vintage might take some work.
I found a site that may be helpful, perhaps the guy can be contacted and would have more info on the vintage box in the original post.
I really need to add to my dad's Kennedy rollaway, it sucks that no one around here has anything, I have to custom order Kennedy stuff.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
My parents recently had my grandfathers refinished and gave it to me as a gift. It is awesome. It even has the original mirror in it. I guess machinists used to have to dress up for work.

I really don't know what to keep in it. It is too nice to be in the garage.
This is not it, but it looks a lot like this one.

·
The Green Machine
4,197 Posts
My parents recently had my grandfathers refinished and gave it to me as a gift. It is awesome. It even has the original mirror in it. I guess machinists used to have to dress up for work.

I really don't know what to keep in it. It is too nice to be in the garage.
This is not it, but it looks a lot like this one.

There is one like that in my parents garage too, my dad started to restore it, but never finished. I should grab it from him and finish it up.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i snapped a picture of it ( shitty cell phone picture ) this one is deffinatly a machinist one , looks very similar to the ones you guys are showing except this one is a darker wood , ill try and get a picture up in a sec

·
GLFWDA VP
4,307 Posts
My dad has one of each of them pictured from when he worked at GM (many many) years ago.. They are very cool looking...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts