Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Covid mask with glasses = the suck

12K views 235 replies 18 participants last post by  Zjman 
#1 ·
What does everyone do when they have to wear glasses and a mask? I do not wear a mask much, but it certainly sucks when my glasses are fogged up...

Any good ideas, solutions or masks that work better than others?

#2 ·
I have no suggestions worth a damn. I've heard you can use Medical tap to hold it to your cheek under the eye, but that seems excessive, and kind of a pain in the ass. The disposable masks with the wire in it kind of helps, because you can shape it around your nose. It might be possible to put a piece of wire in a cloth mask to get the same effect.

#9 ·
It's not that I don't think he's qualified, it'd be pretty hard to say he doesn't know what he is talking about. It seems that he is saying things as a "for sure" when in reality they're a "I'm fairly sure"

Pretty big difference if I say, that meat is not rotten, versus, i'm fairly sure it's not rotten.

#13 ·
Masks are worthless. 2 masks are twice as worthless. IF you are sick, wearing a mask will help REDUCE you spreading germs. It's like trying to plug a leaky pipe with a rag. Wearing one won't do jack to protect you. That requires a specific level of filtration that you aren't going to get with a disposable or cloth mask, period.

The N95 sort of protects the wearer, but that is against an "initial blast". If it becomes contaminated, it needs to be removed and disposed of in a timely manner.

#16 ·
Which was 100% the failing of the government and the people promoting the masks. Wear a mask, but nothing about, wear a clean mask. Ok, so you've got everyone wearing, grumy germ infested masks, which is worse than not wearing a mask. Way to go government, way to go.

That's something have a legitimate argument for; the lack of education on how or why the masks work; instead we got; just wear a mask. Which amounts to, just wear boots, it's raining. Not, wear water proof boots, or high angle boots; just boots. Ok, so like any boots right?

Also a failing of people in general, because people as a whole are too stupid to not have to be told to wear a clean mask, dispose of dirty ones, and wear it properly. The name of the game was reducing everything, not preventing it.

Edit: go back up one to what Mihlfeldl2005 just said; then re-read it again. Part of whole.

#15 ·
I'm gonna blow everyone's mind here, masks aren't about protecting you... They're about protecting the people that can't survive from this by reducing the cross contamination of the general population.

Much like an air bag is only one of the many safety features of a vehicle, a mask is only one of the many defenses needed to control the spread of a virus that won't kill everyone, but it'll definitely kill/effect some.

Just my two cents, it doesn't impair my freedoms. It's just a thing, it's only a big deal if you make it one.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

#17 ·
If you’re not wearing a mask in a public setting then you are a asshole , the people who refuse to wear one clearly hasn’t had Covid or knows anybody who has had a bad case. How bad ass are ya if if ya bring it home to your family and they are the unlucky one who dies or suffers major health problems. THINK about someone besides yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#19 ·
If you’re not wearing a mask in a public setting then you are a asshole , the people who refuse to wear one clearly hasn’t had Covid or knows anybody who has had a bad case. How bad ass are ya if if ya bring it home to your family and they are the unlucky one who dies or suffers major health problems. THINK about someone besides yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Said the SHEEPLE

#18 ·
We have to wear a mask to protect ourselves (or others) from a disease that you have to be tested to know that you have it. Not to mention that rates are going down, the flu, heart disease, diabetes and all other sorts of deaths have mysteriously disappeared. It's funny. I work in a building with 55 other people. The CDC says we don't need to wear masks here because we are not within 6 feet of anyone for 15 continuous minutes. I can pass you in the hallway, bathroom, kitchen and as long as we don't stay together for 15 minutes, we don't need masks.
This is not my opinion - we have been inspected more than once. No one here wears a mask and we have not had an outbreak. How the fuck can that happen????

On the other hand, I'm committing a cultural sin if I pass you in the aisle for 10 seconds at the grocery store. Fucking stupid and inconsistent.

#20 ·
We have to wear a mask to protect ourselves (or others) from a disease that you have to be tested to know that you have it. Not to mention that rates are going down, the flu, heart disease, diabetes and all other sorts of deaths have mysteriously disappeared. It's funny. I work in a building with 55 other people. The CDC says we don't need to wear masks here because we are not within 6 feet of anyone for 15 continuous minutes. I can pass you in the hallway, bathroom, kitchen and as long as we don't stay together for 15 minutes, we don't need masks.
This is not my opinion - we have been inspected more than once. No one here wears a mask and we have not had an outbreak. How the fuck can that happen????

On the other hand, I'm committing a cultural sin if I pass you in the aisle for 10 seconds at the grocery store. Fucking stupid and inconsistent
Quoted cause it's funny and true. Those kinds of guidelines dont' make any sense, like the virus is waiting inside 6ft being like "7 more minutes and this chump is mine"...moves out of 6 ft range "damn you, so close!"

They at least need to have the gumption to say, mask suck wear, so these are the guidelines that will also help prevent spread; nothing is gonna be perfect, so this is a meeting point.

instead, it's "fuck you, you do this, now", " you don't and you die. you all family die"

Similar for the anti-maskers. Stop acting like your falling on the knife just out of the sheer duty you feel, and just call it what it is. You don't want to wear a mask, have the balls to say it like it and stop trying to justify your decision based on some nonsense bullshit that you would have almost no actual knowledge of.

#25 ·
I have no issue saying I don't want to wear a mask and only wear it when I have no alternative. :finger: Simple as that. Need a pop at a gas station - I don't wear a mask. If they tell me I have to go get a mask - I leave.
I went to get a haircut - she said I have to wear a mask. Well, since I wanted the haircut, I wore a mask. There were a total of 3 people at the barber. Me and two employees in 1,000 square feet. Silly and ironic.

#26 ·
That's probably the only real answer to all this. Don't like it, do go there. Can deal with it for something you need, deal with it for now.

I don't sit there and yell at people for not wearing a mask, really nobody should. mind your business. If it's the business itself, that's different, it's their rules. They can also choose to loose your business because of it.

#28 · (Edited)
It's just mindboggling to me how many otherwise intelligent people are ready and willing to put the blinders on to ignore logic just because it doesn't fit their agenda. Use the bare minimum of analytical thinking and the question usually answers itself.

Masks suck, this whole thing sucks. A lot of bad decisions had been made for a whole list of reasons, biggest being that this was all largely unknown and unstudied a year ago. We have all learned a lot since then, we'll have learned a lot more a year from now. Well, most of us anyway. Some people are too busy wearing their masks over their eyes and ears to acknowledge any of it.
Do masks always work for the wearer or those around them? No. Does 6 feet of distancing always work? No. Does limiting to15 minutes of exposure? No, of course not. You can catch it from a passerby, or you can spend hours face to face with an infected person and never catch it yourself. Nothing is a guarantee, but the statistical likelihood changes drastically based on certain actions. It's not a black and white thing here, this isn't a light switch. Use your heads or at least pretend to acknowledge how this all works. It's about risk management and risk mitigation. That statistical likelihood was studied and evaluated to determine which actions are most helpful in reducing spread, along with being sustainable and easy enough for most people to actually do them. People have analyzed and studied this extensively and it's driving at least most of the decisions. Not all, but most. There are some very simple things that are low risk and high reward. No, there's not a magical wall at 6 feet, but the rate of spread due to particle dispersion, gravity, and air flow significantly lowers the risk at that distance. 7 feet would be better, 50 even more, but 6 feet was studied to be good enough to significantly help without being a ridiculous and unsustainable target. No, a mask doesn't stop everything, but it traps a high enough percentage to significantly limit viral spread in either direction. So does keeping your head shoved firmly up your ass I imagine, so I guess some of you get a free pass on the mask thing. No, the virus doesn't activate after 15 minutes, but that's the window that experts have found before the amount of exposure becomes high enough to increase the likelihood of infection. 14 minutes would be safer, risk doesn't eliminate until 0, but we're back to that risk vs reward thing again. There's got to be a realistic target to shoot for. Yeah it's a virus and nobody is pretending we'll eliminate it entirely, or at least nobody smart and realistic, but there are some pretty simple things that can be done to minimize risk if enough people aren't too selfish and pigheaded to do them.

I'm not singling anybody out or responding to anyone in particular because I'm just talking society in general. This thread seems to be a pretty good assortment of the whole range. I'm obviously on the more cautious side compared to some, but still take a lot of unnecessary risks compared to the most cautious. I go to work intermittently, I go shopping, I pump gas, I go out to eat once in a while. I also wear a mask, I sanitize my hands more than I ever used to, I try and distance myself from people(never liked people much anyway....), I try not to touch commonly touched surfaces in public when reasonably possible. Really all the kind of stuff(besides mask) that I should have been doing all along, because if you ever stop and look around, people in general are freaking gross. At the end of the day I'm making my decisions based on the same risk vs reward as everyone else, but everyone's scale is tipped a little different. I'm willing to do the simple things asked of me to help get this to go away sooner. If more people felt the same way we'd be needing to do a whole lot less of those things. There's science to back it up, but that's inconvenient to peoples' agendas so we'll just ignore that. That's where my problems come in with it though, when selfishness, stubbornness, and irresponsibility affects everyone, not just the person doing it. It's a social responsibility thing at that point, not just personal responsibility.

#29 ·
I have not heard one person say they like wearing a mask. I do not like it. Common sense tells me if we can keep our “particles” contained it should help. My wife has been working from home for close to a year. I cannot work from home. I wear a mask daily. We wear masks if we go to the store or to eat. One thing I have noticed, is of those that choose not to wear a masks, a solid 90% are some of the dirtiest people around. When you see a whole family of slobs at the store with dirty clothes, unkept hair, etc, it’s clear they also don’t care about anyone else. I try to steer clear of them, I would do that Covid or not though.

#33 ·
I think part of the problem is there is so much misinformation, half truths, changing information that people have just about had it. I know I am getting really tired of this whole thing. And now with the wearing 2 masks BS and comments that this wont be gone until 2022. It's like WTF!? Do you know or not? if you don't know, just fawking say you don't know!

#34 ·
The idea that any statement or piece of information is true indefinitely is ridiculous. Information changes and opinions change based upon new studies and information, what was true a month ago may not be true today. That's how it is supposed to work.

#35 ·
The idea that any statement or piece of information is true indefinitely is ridiculous. Information changes and opinions change based upon new studies and information, what was true a month ago may not be true today. That's how it is supposed to work.

I get it, but it's been a year from hell for a lot of Americans. Some people are at their wits end, and when what we're supposed to do as a society keeps changing people get frustrated. Just my .02.

#44 ·

There's one for you, up 12% but official numbers can change and likely won't be solid for a couple years as records catch up.

That's a pretty significant jump, would you agree?

#45 ·

There's one for you, up 12% but official numbers can change and likely won't be solid for a couple years as records catch up.

That's a pretty significant jump, would you agree?

In before Aber says it's a questionable source, or that the deaths are due to Democrat decisions, or that the rapture came and went, or some other nonsense to suit his agenda.

#49 ·
I believe the flu is down for the same reason the Covid numbers are coming down. Washing, distancing, less interaction with society, masks are all positive contributors. Yes it makes sense. No doubt these things helps. The bigger question is are they necessary? There are so many examples out there where society accepts a predictable risk of death. Why is this different?

#50 ·
I believe the flu is down for the same reason the Covid numbers are coming down. Washing, distancing, less interaction with society, masks are all positive contributors. Yes it makes sense. No doubt these things helps. The bigger question is are they necessary? There are so many examples out there where society accepts a predictable risk of death. Why is this different?
Hmmmmm that's kind of an interesting question. What's the "acceptable loss rate" for any given situation? What's the societal norm for death?

I would argue that it depends on the occupation, location, and proximity to the individual. Soldiers die, it's accepted... Soldiers dying on US soil, unacceptable. I guess it all comes down to your values, beliefs, and norms.

#63 ·
I'm much more scared of all the shitty drivers out there than getting covid, and I drive a big truck.

And to go along with the original topic of this thread, I had to wear safety glasses and a mask at a customer's plant yesterday, it sucked and was completely unnecessary

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#82 ·
Either one.

All he does is generalize statements, straw-man someone and mischaracterize what was said in order to steer a conversation into a fight rather than a genuine discussion. He goads people into arguing something, that wasn't even said, and steers the conversation into something unwinnable because since nobody wins in an argument he thinks he can win by crying about being insulted and throws away everything that was said. Picks and chooses one piece of data given or small thing that was said to tear into it and that small thing "proves" his entire point about everything. Its the textbook definition of a conversational bully.

Probabaly my favorite part of aber. Goads the argument, picks one single thing said out of an entire paragraph, straw-mans you, then plays the victim of an attack to feel like he's the "bigger man" and by extension somehow won the argument.

Which, incidentally, is exactly what radical leftists absolutely love to do every day.

Almost can't wait to see what ridiculous response he comes up for this post. Though, honestly, it's just as likley he'll completely ignore it....give it 50/50.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.