Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at bead locks. Two I'm considering are Eaton and High Impact. Anyone using either of these. Any feedback would be cool.

Also considering for the above rims

TSL swampers 38X12.50X15
TRXUS 37X12.50X15
IROK Radials 37X12.50X15

I plan to run these on my 72 commando with lunch box locker 44 read and 30 up front. I know the 30 will probably break but when it does ill either replace or repair it. Would an 8 inch rim be good for the tires above or would a 10 inch be needed.

Hoping by next year to hit Telico and beyond. Thanks

Grumpy

·
AKA GreyShrink
521 Posts
Since all the tires you lsited are 12." wide, an 8" rim will worn fine and is probably best.

I'm assuming this is an off-road only machine because of the beadlocks. You are aware that beadlock wheels are not DOT approved for on-highway use?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bet a cop would not notice a difference between real bead locks and "street" locks.

Building for the trails and will be trailered but I have to wonder if id be hassled driving it a couple of miles to local car show every once and a while.
I love pissing off classic car guys by parking my ugly ass POS next to their mustangs ! :tonka:

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
There is a guy in the Ionia area who laser cuts bead locks to weld to your stock rims. He has a pretty decent setup for a good price. he is with "Dirty Fun Off Road". If you are interested, I can send you his information.

Also, if you are in to car shows, there is one labor day weekend in Muskegon, that has a 4x4 class. Bring your rig, they would love to have you.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Since all the tires you lsited are 12." wide, an 8" rim will worn fine and is probably best.

I'm assuming this is an off-road only machine because of the beadlocks. You are aware that beadlock wheels are not DOT approved for on-highway use?
DOT Approved and DOT Legal are 2 different things.

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
I'd say 8" rims. I'm running 14" Iroks on 10s and kinda wish they were 8s. :beer:

·
Sveentusmaximus
616 Posts
So besides beadlocks not being DOT Legal are there any drawbacks from say running them on the street in a DD Jeep? Just thinking hypothetically ;)

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
So besides beadlocks not being DOT Legal are there any drawbacks from say running them on the street in a DD Jeep? Just thinking hypothetically ;)

Just keep the nuts torqued and run em :rock:

You could always do the silcone trick too if you're worried about street legality... Just silcone the shit out of the beads when mount your tires. Poor mans beadlocks :woot:

·
Premium Member
14,643 Posts
I have beadlocks on mine and drive on the street pretty often....yet to get a ticket or stopped or questioned.

I have the 37" trxus and I love em.

Get the 8" rim

·
Covered in mud...
17,916 Posts
One thing regarding iroks, it seems that 15" rim versions make them more round/balloon-like 17" rims make them more square sided.

·
5,818 Posts
36" and 37" iroks are the same size, save some money and get 36s I would get as close to a 9" wheel as possible. it makes the tire profile just right. with a 15x8 and that big of a tire i would be concerned about the tire rolling over on sidehills and turning.

·
AAA GOLD ROCKS!!!!!
8,512 Posts
Why not run a set of Staun's if your worried about being pulled over?

Clamps both beads and you could use your current rims.

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
One thing regarding iroks, it seems that 15" rim versions make them more round/balloon-like 17" rims make them more square sided.

FWIW, my 42s are square with 16s. From my experience, the 36 and 39.5 Iroks have the balloon look whereas the 37s and 42s are more squared. Don't know why exactly, but it is what it is.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts