·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,091 Posts
Reactions: SHARPMACHINE

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,091 Posts
Really? Interesting

Is it something like Michigan has a much larger "wave" but overall not higher than the national average?
No, this wave is higher, but overall we're still low. Like we're just catching up with the rest of the country.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,091 Posts
It's skyrocketing (IMO) because of Whitler and her lock downs. If people were allowed to make their own decisions, we would be in a much better place with the virus and our states economy. Yes, limiting indoor gatherings, mask mandates, etc. are a good thing to help keep people safe and slow the spread, but not allowing people to make the call on how safe they want to be has put us in the position we are in now. Everyone has been cooped up for so long because of these orders that they are throwing caution into the wind and saying "fuck it, I want to get back to normal".

Other states have done a better job of balancing this virus and peoples rights / ability to earn a living and live some kind of normalcy.

Again, just my .02
I'm sure that's a big part of it. I also saw an article stating that we are amongst the hardest hit, along with Florida, with a new strain from England.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,365 Posts
I'm talking about total, not just current. U.S. COVID-19 case rate by state | Statista
So we are at 8.7K vs 9.7K for US? Doesn't seem being in top 5 strictest lock downs has us in bottom 5 cases.

We are at 155.5 deaths/100K vs US 132. Not sure how much of that is due to Whitmer's policy of putting COVID patients in Nursing Homes.

While looking for numbers, I saw that US death rate is 1/2 that of the world; but we have many more cases than anywhere else. Is this due to our better health care once infected, or are other areas testing way less and their numbers are off?

·
Yooper In Training
7,195 Posts
It's skyrocketing (IMO) because of Whitler and her lock downs. If people were allowed to make their own decisions, we would be in a much better place with the virus and our states economy. Yes, limiting indoor gatherings, mask mandates, etc. are a good thing to help keep people safe and slow the spread, but not allowing people to make the call on how safe they want to be has put us in the position we are in now. Everyone has been cooped up for so long because of these orders that they are throwing caution into the wind and saying "fuck it, I want to get back to normal".

Other states have done a better job of balancing this virus and peoples rights / ability to earn a living and live some kind of normalcy.

Again, just my .02
You might want to look deeper into other areas, including places outside the US. We all have this tiny little sliver of a world view and don't see the local news other places about their far-reaching restrictions, anti-mask protests, etc. Whitmer is making things more restrictive than most for sure, but it's not as drastically different as you think. But most of us only see the local sound bites and news blurbs but have minimal info from elsewhere to compare it to. I did some digging a while back and based on what I found I think you're overestimating how different things have been here compared to many other states and countries. People are sick of it and pushing back everywhere. It's human nature, and for sure the arrogant(and often ignorant) independence American stereotype is playing out in real time.

I agree on principle what you're saying about letting people make their own choices and do their own thing, but by and large people as a whole are fucking stupid. We've got over a year of data now to prove it. What's happened every single time the restrictions go away? People start making their own choices, which then leads to case counts slowly building until they reach the point of uncontrolled exponential growth, at which point the gov steps in again to try and reel things in. Do I think we should have forced lockdowns and mandatory vaccinations and god knows what else? HELL NO. But do I think the general public are smart enough, cautious enough, and give a damn about anyone outside their tiny little bubble enough to make the right choices to keep things in control and safe? Also hell no. It's a balancing act to keep this thing in check, and we've collectively done a shit job of voluntary responsibility so the gov keeps coming back in to force the issue. The lesser restrictions when things are good SHOULD be enough to keep things in check and strike that balance, but people see the numbers low, have pandemic fatigue, and let their guard down and try and live like normal. I do it too, I bet we all do, some worse than others obviously. It works fine for a while then slowly comes back to bite us all. We're all collectively short sighted and selfish, so personal responsibility doesn't work. If it did they'd never have had to bring back restrictions again back in November or even in March of last year.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,400 Posts
I think it's skyrocketing because it's skyrocketing. I don't think masks really work and I think it's impossible to do a truly effective lock down. Medical people need to go to the hospitals for the medical needy. So do the support staff at the hospital. They all need gas so the gas stations are open. We all need food so the food stores are open. Our power plants need to be open to create gasoline, electricity and natural gas for our homes. So even with bare essentials going on, there are still plenty of people who cannot lock down 100%. This is a pretty interesting article. What I see from it is that the graphs seem to be universal everywhere, with and without lockdowns, with and without masks. Numbers may be higher or lower but the trends pretty much match.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,091 Posts
So we are at 8.7K vs 9.7K for US? Doesn't seem being in top 5 strictest lock downs has us in bottom 5 cases.

We are at 155.5 deaths/100K vs US 132. Not sure how much of that is due to Whitmer's policy of putting COVID patients in Nursing Homes.

While looking for numbers, I saw that US death rate is 1/2 that of the world; but we have many more cases than anywhere else. Is this due to our better health care once infected, or are other areas testing way less and their numbers are off?
All good questions. I'm sure they'll be studying this pandemic for years and I suspect they will find that the differences were more about how things were counted and reported than actual differences in what actually happened.

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
Exactly. So many people(no, not all) are all talk and are putting up this huge front about "muh rights" and the inflated numbers and blah, blah, blah, but their actions don't reflect their ranting and raving. My MIL is one of them, she'd go on and on about it just regurgitating nonsense from places like the Unlock Michigan FB page, she puts on a mask and starts fake hyperventilating as soon as it touches her face, etc. Yet she hasn't been into a grocery store or shopping in general in over a year. Thankfully she finally shut up about it when I'm around after I blew her conspiracy theories to pieces and pointed out her hypocrisy a couple dozen times. That's not to say there aren't valid points to both sides of the argument, but she doesn't have those ones, and it seems like most of the loudest skeptics don't either. Probably because facts are inconvenient to their argument.
Or you just verbally abused her to the point of shaming her into silence. The political left does it all the time to people who have a different view on things. There are board certified doctors who do not agree with the way fauci and company are doing things but are shut down and censored from pointing out the difference.
You must be so proud of yourself to have successfully beat up your MIL.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,615 Posts
Or you just verbally abused her to the point of shaming her into silence. The political left does it all the time to people who have a different view on things. There are board certified doctors who do not agree with the way fauci and company are doing things but are shut down and censored from pointing out the difference.
So glad you're there to stick up for all the little people that are just being brow beat into not speaking their mind. Someone has to be the hero, and it's people like you that are courageous enough to take that mantle. God speed!

·
Yooper In Training
7,195 Posts
Close but no cigar. Unlike certain people she actually has basic elementary-level comprehension skills and is able to (sometimes) absorb new information instead of just deflecting into the same tired and often irrelevant argument about her long standing completely non-factual views.

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
Close but no cigar. Unlike certain people she actually has basic elementary-level comprehension skills and is able to (sometimes) absorb new information instead of just deflecting into the same tired and often irrelevant argument about her long standing completely non-factual views.
Like what you just did?

1561 - 1573 of 1573 Posts