·
I'll Direc your TV
8,615 Posts
You're just racist

.....I mean sexist

·
Gustafson
9,864 Posts
I believe she is blaming people spending the winter in Florida then coming home to Michigan and bring covid with them. That's why the numbers are going up in Michigan.
Yeah, that's it... I still stand by my original statement.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Yeah, that's it... I still stand by my original statement.
Yup. Really considering moving to Florida. I was thinking about going down this fall and spend a few months down there to get a feel of things. Look at houses or property and get in touch with some of the trades to gauge the work. I have a few friends down there and they say its busy, booming with tons of work. No masks and business as usual.

·
Yooper In Training
7,195 Posts
Yup. Really considering moving to Florida. I was thinking about going down this fall and spend a few months down there to get a feel of things. Look at houses or property and get in touch with some of the trades to gauge the work. I have a few friends down there and they say its busy, booming with tons of work. No masks and business as usual.
According to my cousin who's an ER Nurse Practitioner in FL, "business as usual" is not working out too well for an awful lot of people. To be fair, living a more cautionary existence isn't working out that great for a lot of people in MI either.

·
Gustafson
9,864 Posts
Personally I think Florida is nice to visit, but I would never live there. It's too busy, it feels kind of dumpy, and it's hotter than fuck in the summer. Plus, hurricanes...

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
According to my cousin who's an ER Nurse Practitioner in FL, "business as usual" is not working out too well for an awful lot of people. To be fair, living a more cautionary existence isn't working out that great for a lot of people in MI either.
Like you said the bug is not going away anytime soon. Here or there. At what point do we continue to live our lives as much as normal or just stay home and put your mask on to go outside?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Personally I think Florida is nice to visit, but I would never live there. It's too busy, it feels kind of dumpy, and it's hotter than fuck in the summer. Plus, hurricanes...
I might change my mind when I get down there after a few months. A buddy that has been down there for better than 10 years says he stays inside when its too hot. Gets out in the mornings and evenings.

·
Yooper In Training
7,195 Posts
Like you said the bug is not going away anytime soon. Here or there. At what point do we continue to live our lives as much as normal or just stay home and put your mask on to go outside?
Do you think if you ask the same question for the hundredth time you're going to get a different answer? You're gaslighting again. You're vaccinated(which surprised me quite a bit to be honest), so that's a step in the right direction toward returning to normal. The more people ignore/deny the situation the longer we'll be in it. We can't disregard the virus out of existence.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,551 ·
Do you think if you ask the same question for the hundredth time you're going to get a different answer? You're gaslighting again. You're vaccinated(which surprised me quite a bit to be honest), so that's a step in the right direction toward returning to normal. The more people ignore/deny the situation the longer we'll be in it. We can't disregard the virus out of existence.
Do you feel more people ignore/deny it in MI than in other states? Why does it appear to be worse here than in other states?

·
Low Range Drifter
8,365 Posts
Do you feel more people ignore/deny it in MI than in other states? Why does it appear to be worse here than in other states?
A week or two ago I was reading an article on detroit news, they posed the possibility that we over-flattened the curve last summer, and now that people are weary of the continued lockdowns, we are opening a floodgate.

As opposed to states that have consistent numbers, but kept them low enough to not overload their Hospitals/ICUs.

·
Yooper In Training
7,195 Posts
I don't have enough data to give a confident opinion on that. But no, I doubt it's much different here than in plenty of other places. I suspect it's similar in many states/regions and seems to largely follow the politics of the area. Although I was surprised after going to some stores in a fairly well-off area of western Oakland Co this winter that the per-capita non-maskers at the store was a lot higher than I see out here in rural rednekk western Livingston Co. I would have expected the opposite.
Maybe pandemic fatigue is worse here in MI than I realize and there are more people skirting the "rules" and getting infected as a result since things have been stricter for longer here. I don't know though, I don't have any first hand experience elsewhere. In any case I don't think the ignorers/deniers/non maskers are the only reason things have gotten bad again. One of many factors.

A week or two ago I was reading an article on detroit news, they posed the possibility that we over-flattened the curve last summer, and now that people are weary of the continued lockdowns, we are opening a floodgate.

As opposed to states that have consistent numbers, but kept them low enough to not overload their Hospitals/ICUs.
This definitely make sense as a partial explanation and one I've seen as well. I don't think it's the primary cause at all though, we've had a couple big waves here already that were just as bad as many other places. It appears that the more contagious UK variant is a lot more prevalent here than many other places, so the rate of spread has been much higher the past couple months than other places. And it came along just as our caseload was down and lots of things opened back up, weather got nice and people let their guard down, etc. Perfect storm kind of situation.

Reactions: SHARPMACHINE

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,615 Posts
Getting the vaccine for someone like that, to me, is the exact same thing that those same people jumped on pelosi for with the hair dresser/salon thing. Ok for them, but not for someone else.

it's a hoax, hyped up nonsense...blah blah blah. Yet i'll the vaccine I just denounced as "un-tested" and "no idea what it's going to cause". For the "fake" pandemic.

In before the response of "I didn't say fake" and "I never denounced it".

·
Yooper In Training
7,195 Posts
Getting the vaccine for someone like that, to me, is the exact same thing that those same people jumped on pelosi for with the hair dresser/salon thing. Ok for them, but not for someone else.

it's a hoax, hyped up nonsense...blah blah blah. Yet i'll the vaccine I just denounced as "un-tested" and "no idea what it's going to cause". For the "fake" pandemic.

In before the response of "I didn't say fake" and "I never denounced it".
Exactly. So many people(no, not all) are all talk and are putting up this huge front about "muh rights" and the inflated numbers and blah, blah, blah, but their actions don't reflect their ranting and raving. My MIL is one of them, she'd go on and on about it just regurgitating nonsense from places like the Unlock Michigan FB page, she puts on a mask and starts fake hyperventilating as soon as it touches her face, etc. Yet she hasn't been into a grocery store or shopping in general in over a year. Thankfully she finally shut up about it when I'm around after I blew her conspiracy theories to pieces and pointed out her hypocrisy a couple dozen times. That's not to say there aren't valid points to both sides of the argument, but she doesn't have those ones, and it seems like most of the loudest skeptics don't either. Probably because facts are inconvenient to their argument.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,091 Posts
It's only worse in Michigan right now. Overall our per capita rate is lower than the national average.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,615 Posts
It's only worse in Michigan right now. Overall our per capita rate is lower than the national average.
Really? Interesting

Is it something like Michigan has a much larger "wave" but overall not higher than the national average?

·
Gustafson
9,864 Posts
It's skyrocketing (IMO) because of Whitler and her lock downs. If people were allowed to make their own decisions, we would be in a much better place with the virus and our states economy. Yes, limiting indoor gatherings, mask mandates, etc. are a good thing to help keep people safe and slow the spread, but not allowing people to make the call on how safe they want to be has put us in the position we are in now. Everyone has been cooped up for so long because of these orders that they are throwing caution into the wind and saying "fuck it, I want to get back to normal".

Other states have done a better job of balancing this virus and peoples rights / ability to earn a living and live some kind of normalcy.

Again, just my .02

1541 - 1560 of 1573 Posts