Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1501 - 1520 of 1532 Posts

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,055 Posts
Covid vaccine passports seem to be an idea that is being considered. Is this a good idea or just another way to keep track of people?
Governmental or private business? I have not seen related articles yet.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,371 Posts
There are rumblings about private doing it for venues. Unfortunately I think it's going to happen where a vaccine will be required to fly, cross the border, go to a sports stadium, etc.
Personally I am opposed to it.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
Sadly I see this becoming a reality. First we can see this as rhino stated it, in large events, flying and crossing to another country. Canada is really strict in who crosses over. My mom went through and survived cancer last year and I could not see her. She is now in the hospital with other issues and I can cross but it would require a few covid tests and quarentine for two weeks at a designated location. They have an app to download which they can keep track of you while waiting.
As much as they tell us this is the new normal and we need to get used to it. I see restrictions coming down the line for country to country. Unless you are coming to America from our southern border. It's a free ride from there.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Covid vaccine passports seem to be an idea that is being considered. Is this a good idea or just another way to keep track of people?
They can consider it all they like, there's no central database of who's had a shot an who hasn't.

All I got was a stupid little card with my shot, there's no real proof.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sadly I see this becoming a reality. First we can see this as rhino stated it, in large events, flying and crossing to another country. Canada is really strict in who crosses over. My mom went through and survived cancer last year and I could not see her. She is now in the hospital with other issues and I can cross but it would require a few covid tests and quarentine for two weeks at a designated location. They have an app to download which they can keep track of you while waiting.
As much as they tell us this is the new normal and we need to get used to it. I see restrictions coming down the line for country to country. Unless you are coming to America from our southern border. It's a free ride from there.
So you’re Canadian ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
They can consider it all they like, there's no central database of who's had a shot an who hasn't.

All I got was a stupid little card with my shot, there's no real proof.
From what I have read is it will be private companies setting up a sort of vaccine passport under the direction of the Biden admin.
I got a button after my first shot and assuming I will receive a card or something after I get my second dose next week.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,083 Posts
As much as I'm in favor of everyone getting the vaccine, I am not in favor of this. It seems like an extra slippery slope to being required "carry your papers".

·
Yooper In Training
7,168 Posts
Yeah I don't think there are many of us who would disagree with that logic. Slippery slope for sure.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Yeah, sure, I can send 20 bucks and a pic of my card off somewhere... Like registering a service animal or stupid Foxbody Mustang or something...

But there's literally no proof anywhere I had a shot, except for my card. I suppose Rite Aid might have something, but I wouldn't count on it.

My Dr. doesn't have it, just made a note in my file.

·
Yooper In Training
7,168 Posts
Yeah, sure, I can send 20 bucks and a pic of my card off somewhere... Like registering a service animal or stupid Foxbody Mustang or something...

But there's literally no proof anywhere I had a shot, except for my card. I suppose Rite Aid might have something, but I wouldn't count on it.

My Dr. doesn't have it, just made a note in my file.
I feel like you're severely underestimating what the .gov has records of. I would be very, very surprised if it's not logged in a database.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I'd be equally surprised if you can pull any meaningful information from it.

Not to mention Biden and his administration repeatedly stating there is no database, they don't intend to build one, and they have no plans of forcing anyone to take anything.

People do love to freak out over everything though.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
As much as I'm in favor of everyone getting the vaccine, I am not in favor of this. It seems like an extra slippery slope to being required "carry your papers".
I do agree with your comment about the "slippery slope". Where will it end? If they can force everyone to get a vaccine even though they say will not force you to take it.
I can see it going like this, people voluntary take the shot. Cases decrease then increase. The increase will be blamed on the people who did not take it and with that they will give reason to force the vaccine on everyone else.
What happens when a new strain or variant comes out and the vaccine does not work? They develop a new vaccine and say that it will work and force vaccinate everyone.
Twenty years down the road what type of side effects will we see from untested vaccines on the masses? Older people not so much but my concern is the young that really don't need it.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
You have the right to get a vaccine or not as you choose.

Others have a right to interact with you based on whether or not you've been vaccinated as they choose.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,083 Posts
I do agree with your comment about the "slippery slope". Where will it end? If they can force everyone to get a vaccine even though they say will not force you to take it.
I can see it going like this, people voluntary take the shot. Cases decrease then increase. The increase will be blamed on the people who did not take it and with that they will give reason to force the vaccine on everyone else.
What happens when a new strain or variant comes out and the vaccine does not work? They develop a new vaccine and say that it will work and force vaccinate everyone.
Twenty years down the road what type of side effects will we see from untested vaccines on the masses? Older people not so much but my concern is the young that really don't need it.
I fully expect the coronavirus shot will become like the flu shot, you'll need a new one every year to be protected.

·
Yooper In Training
7,168 Posts
I fully expect the coronavirus shot will become like the flu shot, you'll need a new one every year to be protected.
Yep, I would expect the same. Essentially just an annual booster as new mutations and variants evolve, just like the flu or any other virus.

Also, the "untested" thing that Aber said is a bit of a fallacy. I was much more skeptical at first, and still am somewhat as I've discussed before, but calling it "untested" isn't true. At best I'd say "limited testing". The long term trials haven't been completed because there's no replacement for time in those trials. And that's what worries me, many others, and is probably what Aber is alluding to. It's a valid concern without a doubt, but even with the unknowns it still appears to be much lower risk for long term health effects than the virus itself. Point being, even though there are still some unknowns, "untested" is still an inaccurate statement. All the short term testing was and has been very very positive. And just the type of vaccine it is makes it inherently safer than the typical flu shot style that's injecting you with a limited amount of the virus itself. No virus here, it's mimicking the spike protein that the virus uses to join with cells and replicate. It helps your body recognize that protein and be prepared to fight/kill it off before your system ever sees the virus itself. It was in development for a long time for other illnesses and was modified for this coronavirus. It's not untested, it's not changing your DNA, it's not injecting dead virus into your body, etc.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
Yep, I would expect the same. Essentially just an annual booster as new mutations and variants evolve, just like the flu or any other virus.

Also, the "untested" thing that Aber said is a bit of a fallacy. I was much more skeptical at first, and still am somewhat as I've discussed before, but calling it "untested" isn't true. At best I'd say "limited testing". The long term trials haven't been completed because there's no replacement for time in those trials. And that's what worries me, many others, and is probably what Aber is alluding to. It's a valid concern without a doubt, but even with the unknowns it still appears to be much lower risk for long term health effects than the virus itself. Point being, even though there are still some unknowns, "untested" is still an inaccurate statement. All the short term testing was and has been very very positive. And just the type of vaccine it is makes it inherently safer than the typical flu shot style that's injecting you with a limited amount of the virus itself. No virus here, it's mimicking the spike protein that the virus uses to join with cells and replicate. It helps your body recognize that protein and be prepared to fight/kill it off before your system ever sees the virus itself. It was in development for a long time for other illnesses and was modified for this coronavirus. It's not untested, it's not changing your DNA, it's not injecting dead virus into your body, etc.
This right here is the one factor that helped me make the choice to get the vaccine. My doctor explained it in this same way. I get my second dose next week.
I am somewhat concerned with getting a shot year after year to stay immunized though.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,371 Posts
I have a neighbor friend who tells me this type of vaccine has been being researched for almost 30 years. New to us? Yes. New to the medical field? Not as much.

·
Gustafson
9,822 Posts
I go for my shot next Saturday. I am getting the Johnson & Johnson shot. (this is the one I wanted; one and done)

1501 - 1520 of 1532 Posts