Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1441 - 1460 of 1499 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
A lockdown would work, if it were a real lockdown. Assuming you care about stopping cases, like, let's leave the fatality rate out of it.

Stay the eff at home, do not leave, curbside pickup only of groceries, contactless payment for fuel.

Nothing else.

Nothing. Not, go make car parts, go to the store and roam around all day, go watch a movie, order food in the food court, stop into the gas station, head to Black Friday and touch everything a million other mothereffer's touched...

We only came close to that at the beginning, everything we've done since is just folly. The only people who aren't essential are indoor restaurant workers now. I'm sorry, but it's not essential that I be able to buy pot, drywall, or continue to work on cars. I'm right back to traveling all over the midwest, in and out of 3 factories a day, 2 gas stations... And it's simply not essential that work continue in the automotive field. Not in the, civilization ending sense.

It really seems all that want to do is give the illusion they're doing something, and beat up on folks who don't have the means to effectively defend themselves.

·
Desert Rat
7,058 Posts
A lockdown would work, if it were a real lockdown. Assuming you care about stopping cases, like, let's leave the fatality rate out of it.

Stay the eff at home, do not leave, curbside pickup only of groceries, contactless payment for fuel.

Nothing else.

Nothing. Not, go make car parts, go to the store and roam around all day, go watch a movie, order food in the food court, stop into the gas station, head to Black Friday and touch everything a million other mothereffer's touched...

We only came close to that at the beginning, everything we've done since is just folly. The only people who aren't essential are indoor restaurant workers now. I'm sorry, but it's not essential that I be able to buy pot, drywall, or continue to work on cars. I'm right back to traveling all over the midwest, in and out of 3 factories a day, 2 gas stations... And it's simply not essential that work continue in the automotive field. Not in the, civilization ending sense.

It really seems all that want to do is give the illusion they're doing something, and beat up on folks who don't have the means to effectively defend themselves.
Do you mean like “it’s only for two weeks to help flatten the curve so we don’t overwhelm our hospitals and resources”?
We did that for the virus. Everything after that was political.

I would be majorly pissed if I spent five, ten years building my own business only to be wipe out by government decree. Then get a $600 check to smooth it over.
That shit is not right.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Do you mean like “it’s only for two weeks to help flatten the curve so we don’t overwhelm our hospitals and resources”?
We did that for the virus. Everything after that was political.

I would be majorly pissed if I spent five, ten years building my own business only to be wipe out by government decree. Then get a $600 check to smooth it over.
That shit is not right.
We did that and it worked, it shows in the data. Lockdowns work. Again, leaving aside whether you even need to care about mitigating this virus at all, or to what age group.

This shit we're doing now, is not lockdowns, it's nonsense.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,268 Posts
A complete lockdown is not realistic. First responders need to respond. (police, EMS, fire) Medical workers need to go to the office/hospital. Same goes for nursing home workers. To do this, they need fuel. To get fuel the gas stations must be open. That means the gas station workers must travel to work. Then the gas stations run out of fuel so the fuel trucks need to transport fuel.

Many people do not have the means to survive for 2 weeks. They either don't have money for that much food or don't have a space to store it.

If you think we can stop travel and mingling 100% you are crazy.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
If I'm being at all unclear, let me be clear here.

I think lockdowns are retarded.

I'm not afraid at all of catching the Rona. I'm simply not in an at risk category, same as the overwhelming majority of folks.

I'm simply saying two things.

1. What we have, is not a lockdown. If this had a 30% fatality rate in all age groups, suddenly lockdowns would be totally feasible and everyone would quit fucking around at the coffee shop and get on board. Because a real lockdown, actually works.

2. Since we're not willing to commit to an actual lockdown, the bullshit we are doing, is pointless, capricious, and flatly stupid. You can watch a movie, buy popcorn, but not eat the popcorn in the theater. You can go in the store with a thousand other idiots touching everything. You can go work on top of some stranger, for 10 or 12 hours, who goes God knows where when he leaves and does God knows what with any amount of people doing literally the same thing.

The shit we're doing, is not going to do a thing to stop the spread of a communicable disease. Which, also shows in the data, where it's not doing a thing to stop the spread of the communicable disease.

What it does do, is give the illusion to stupid people that politicians are DOING SOMETHING to stop the spread.

My whole point, simply, is if you're not going to do everything to stop it, then do nothing and leave people alone.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I saw a thing on news couple weeks ago about flu season. They said normally we are in full swing flu season and this year it’s pretty much non existent, so either mask work or they’re not reporting flu or people just staying home and self medicating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Desert Rat
7,058 Posts
Lockdowns is the new term for quarantine.
the purpose of the “two week pause” was to allow the ten days for the virus to run its course, with a buffer.
the two week extension was an extra political measure to be sure.
everything after that was about the election.

My humble opinion is we should have opened up in the spring and pushed the virus (people) into the fresh air and sunshine.

Reactions: busyfixin

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,268 Posts
I saw a thing on news couple weeks ago about flu season. They said normally we are in full swing flu season and this year it’s pretty much non existent, so either mask work or they’re not reporting flu or people just staying home and self medicating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Probably. Add to that if someone goes to the doc for flu symptoms they are sure to test positive for the Virus. I'm sure the medical people will say no but come on ---- zero flu cases? Really?

I would be more inclined to think that the flu is down not because of masks, but because people are actually washing their hands like they should.

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
It's all about the spin. You just gotta follow the science, amiright?
I'm not sure they really believe the "science". If they did they would believe all the science not just what fits their narrative. The whole transgender thing comes to mind. You can't change your gender because you feel like you are a person of the opposite sex. If this is true then why cant I say I'm 66, ready to retire and want to collect SS benefits?

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,453
Pumped, once February gets here, Rona will only come out once 10pm comes around.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,265 Posts
Michigan Cases 554,237 Deaths 14,411 (2.6%)
Michigan Long Term Care Facility Cases 23,246 Deaths 5339 (23%)

Long Term Care deaths are 37% of the deaths in Michigan, even though they make up 4.2% of Michigan's cases. Nearly 1 in 4 of people in a long-term care facility that get it will die.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
number of deaths and cases are both coming back down. They are about where we were in early October.

Looks like you're right, shows how much I pay attention anymore. Weird that there doesn't seem to be a post holiday spike, also seems as if the pre-holiday spike didn't really correlate to Thanksgiving so much.

·
Gustafson
9,575 Posts
It could be that more people stayed home after seeing what happened at Thanksgiving.

1441 - 1460 of 1499 Posts