Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1381 - 1400 of 1432 Posts

·
Hang all the thieves
1,708 Posts
Depends on the union, depends on the management. We're what, 9 or 10 months into this situation, and where I'm at the management still doesn't have a clue how to handle this. It's constantly changing as to IF someone is paid if they get sent home due to a possible exposure, or how much they're paid depending on where they were exposed (home or work). They've almost created a situation where it wouldn't surprise me if people started taking Tylenol or motrin to knock a fever down to get past the door scanner.

·
Gustafson
9,406 Posts
I work for a non union company. Our policy is if you have a positive covid test you get up to 2 weeks off paid. If it is negative, you use vacation time or take the time off unpaid just like you would for being off for any other reason. Pretty simple.......

·
Gustafson
9,406 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
We don't seem to have a policy.

I was exposed by a supplier who came in, the other engineer and I were sent home until our tests came back negative.

We had a PM who's wife, daughters, and in laws all have it, HR walked up to him knowing that, asked how they were doing, then asked why I was in the office when it wasn't essential. Then it turned out he had it too, sent him home, and 1 person in contact with him...

The thing's people do to stay safe from this don't make sense to me, and neither do the "rules" folks have. If it was Ebola, we'd all be dead.

·
Gustafson
9,406 Posts

I was exposed by a supplier who came in, the other engineer and I were sent home until our tests came back negative.

The thing's people do to stay safe from this don't make sense to me, and neither do the "rules" folks have. If it was Ebola, we'd all be dead.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this?

I hope that you did not catch it from your coworker or your supplier.

·
Hang all the thieves
1,708 Posts

We had a PM who's wife, daughters, and in laws all have it, HR walked up to him knowing that, asked how they were doing, then asked why I was in the office when it wasn't essential. Then it turned out he had it too, sent him home, and 1 person in contact with him...

Same thing where I'm at. 10 months into this, and there's no definite plan on anything. No one in management seems to know or care how long someone whose been exposed should stay out, or how much they'll be paid while out. But in the meantime, they've instituted a policy that requires you to put on a mask to walk 15 ft into the building to put on a different mask. Even though the first one you put on was new. No joke. But, exposure inside is treated very much like your example.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this?

I hope that you did not catch it from your coworker or your supplier.
A coworker and I met with someone who later told us they tested positive.

We were sent home until our tests came back.

Another coworker had a house full of COVID and everyone knew it, no one sent him home.

Then, when he came down with it himself, they sent one person home to quarantine.

They're all over the place, day to day.

No travel, no travel out of state, oh that's right, you work for Jeep, Toledo is ok, oh, wait, you went to Toledo? We didn't say SImon Says.

·
Gustafson
9,406 Posts
I understand now... Sad. As mentioned earlier, this has been going on since March, you would think companies would have some kind of handle on this...

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Yeah, we seem to do whatever suits whomever, at that moment.

I personally would rather go about my normal business. I also am fully willing to comply with the policy put in place by the people who pay me.

They just won't put a policy in place, you have to guess seemingly.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,391
I do not think most companies are sure about what to do. My job puts me in part of the evaluation on how to handle it, we are just following the terms on the CDC sight. But, we also use some common sense while we are at it. Then throw in the fact that the rules have changed several times this year, while most people have not seen much change in there personal lives and it becomes more confusing...

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,158 Posts
I do not think most companies are sure about what to do. My job puts me in part of the evaluation on how to handle it, we are just following the terms on the CDC sight. But, we also use some common sense while we are at it. Then throw in the fact that the rules have changed several times this year, while most people have not seen much change in there personal lives and it becomes more confusing...
^^ this. The guidelines used to be 14 days before returning to work. Now it's 10. You used to need a negative test. Now you don't. Direct contact is defined as being within 6 ft of someone for 15 minutes. However, we need a mask to pass someone in a store aisle when we are only within 6 ft for 3 seconds. And to top that off, I have no idea where I got it, as I was never within 6 ft of someone for 15 minutes. Go figure.............

·
Gustafson
9,406 Posts
It's a bullshit line... This virus is too new to "follow the science". We are still learning new things about it all the time. Hell, the UK is shutting down again because this thing has mutated.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Everything they have tried to tell us what and what not to do has not worked. I'm thinking we will not keep the virus from spreading. It will move about like the cold and flu virus. Herd immunity and the vaccine are probably our best chances of beating this. Will it weaken and die off? We can only hope. If it acts like the cold and flu virus by changing/mutating masks and shut downs will be a thing of the future.

·
Gustafson
9,406 Posts
Everything they have tried to tell us what and what not to do has not worked. I'm thinking we will not keep the virus from spreading. It will move about like the cold and flu virus. Herd immunity and the vaccine are probably our best chances of beating this. Will it weaken and die off? We can only hope. If it acts like the cold and flu virus by changing/mutating masks and shut downs will be a thing of the future.
The only positive is, according to a medical expert who was on the news the other day, stated that a lot of times (not always) when a virus mutates it becomes less potent. In the early cases they are seeing in the UK, it's spreading faster, but doesn't seem to be as strong. So, hopefully it continues to mutate itself down to common cold levels. (wishful thinking I know, but it's all we got at this point)

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
The only positive is, according to a medical expert who was on the news the other day, stated that a lot of times (not always) when a virus mutates it becomes less potent. In the early cases they are seeing in the UK, it's spreading faster, but doesn't seem to be as strong. So, hopefully it continues to mutate itself down to common cold levels. (wishful thinking I know, but it's all we got at this point)
This is good news. As long as it gets weaker, even though they say it is more contagious. Like you said it should turn into a mild cold.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
My job is not following any set guidelines.

If they did, they'd shut down.

They wanted to send one of my hourly employees home for 2 weeks for going to Virginia in September on her vacation. I found out about it when I returned from Brampton ON...

So I can leave the country on business, but she can't leave the state for fun, because they literally just make up whatever they want each time.

Then, I lost my shit about them sending her home, because she had no warning ahead of time, we have no posted policy regarding that, I'm quite sure legally we can't tell her where to go or not go on her vacation, and they called her back.

Having a policy would be too easy, then they'd have to send home upper management constantly, it would be in writing and easy to understand and follow and enforce. THey don't want that, they want to decide, on the fly, who does what and when. And none of it is keeping anyone safer. My wife literally works 16 hour shifts in the COVID wing of a hospital lmao... I'm a risk everyday.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I’m employed by a large cooperative. Some departments have worn masks and social distanced. My department has not done either with 3 shifts running 24/7 this entire time. 2 total confirmed positive cases since this began. In September whitmer made us all get tested, out of the entire cooperative, 1 positive test during that mass mandatory testing block. The main factory has had many positive and close contact cases since then. These areas are also mandatory mask areas. 🤪. My department does not have the same results. We did however have something come through and level our workforce in November/December 2019. Same symptoms as covid.

1381 - 1400 of 1432 Posts