Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

701 - 720 of 1294 Posts

·
Gustafson
9,046 Posts
Those who would go there right now and sit shoulder to shoulder, yeah pretty much. Many religious people are smart and wouldn't do it, but plenty are stupid and would.
People would do the same if sports arenas or bars were open, and they're stupid too.

There are morons of every faith, belief, income level, sexual orientation, race, whatever. The per capita idiots may be higher or lower in some than others, but morons are everywhere. These regulations are to protect both the morons from each other, and the smart people from the morons. The smart people wouldn't need the regulations, but the morons ruin it for everyone as usual. This virus is an equal opportunity killer, it attacks morons as well as smart people. Morons are just more frequently the ignorant and/or indifferent carriers.
Correct, and that was where I was going. Thank you for covering it all. My irritation was that he only commented on church.

On a personal level, I find this insulting. :(

Yep, I don't get the attack on religion.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,883 Posts
85% of those that have died in Michigan are over the age of 60.

Currently the positive cases make up 0.32% of the population. The mortality rate for those cases is running around 8% or 0.025% of the population.

The positive rate of tests has dropped by roughly 20% on the past two weeks.

More than 1 million have filed for unemployment since this began (10% of the population).

The number of active cases has continued to rise, this is likely due to the majority of people getting placed on in home quarantine and not not getting "cleared" due to the overwhelming amount of inpatients at the care facilities.

I agree that this needs to be taken seriously but the restrictions that are in place right now are hurting more than helping.

More before we get there, I understand exponential growth and how much worse this could be but I agree with Swedens approach on educating the masses, isolating the at risk, and letting life continue.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Yooper In Training
7,050 Posts
On a personal level, I find this insulting. :(
Yep, I don't get the attack on religion.
And now you guys know Wrath. He's a bit.....abrasive. Condescending even. He's not a bad dude overall, I know him from college, but his internet persona is somewhere between Kickstand and Steveo.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
12,984 Posts
I'm thinking if mother nature/God wanted to deal with overpopulation he would flood the world, Oh wait he already did that and everybody died.
This is nothing more than a virus infecting people. We have had pandemics in the past that has killed many more people than this.
Did you know that you could put every person on the planet in Oakland county. Everyone could have their own 2x2 square to stand on and the rest of the planet would be empty.
Right, then he/she sent a rainbow as a promise to not do that again. Now they work in subtler way, like sending a pandemic to just thin the heard.

·
Gustafson
9,046 Posts
And now you guys know Wrath. He's a bit.....abrasive. Condescending even. He's not a bad dude overall, I know him from college, but his internet persona is somewhere between Kickstand and Steveo.
I wonder how Kickstand is doing through all of this. I'm sure he would have a few things to say about all that has happened in the last few months.

Steveo i could care less about. :sonicjay:

·
Yooper In Training
7,050 Posts
He's had a lot :teehee: @kickstand
Yes, yes he has. He and I agree on most things, although his presentation of the topic and how he gets people talking sometimes makes me want to smack him upside the head. Then we'll chat like adults and pretty much end up back on the same page again.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
12,984 Posts
I really don't think there is even a way to have a "soft" re-opening, or a re-opening in stages. Once one stage hits, then everyone is going to go out, and act like nothing changed. It's all or nothing, just because that's how a mass thinks.
Of course you can. just because you let people use their motorboats doesn't mean bars and restaurants will open. Just because they say it's OK for small groups of friends to get together to play golf doesn't mean the Major League Baseball is going to decide that it's OK to gather 50,000 fans together to watch a game. Just because they tell people it's OK for them to go to their place up north doesn't mean concert promoters will start planing concerts.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
At the beginning I think Kickstand was closer to @bbaXJ's line of thinking than mine. Now that he is going stir crazy, I think he's coming around. :teehee:

And as much as @brewmenn and I banter from opposite sides of the aisle, his comments ^^^^ are spot on in line with mine. I still think restaurants can open with a mandate on distancing between tables, reservations only, no lines etc.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,437 Posts
Agreed. We can't fix stupid and we can only protect it to a certain level.

RE the religious part, I am religious. The way I view this is different than those still going to church. I trust in God to protect me. This does not mean I can go out and sit shoulder to shoulder with others of faith and he will keep me safe. Rather, I trust in God to give me, my wife and family good judgement to not be blindly stupid.
Best argument for what faith is, right there.

Of course you can. just because you let people use their motorboats doesn't mean bars and restaurants will open. Just because they say it's OK for small groups of friends to get together to play golf doesn't mean the Major League Baseball is going to decide that it's OK to gather 50,000 fans together to watch a game. Just because they tell people it's OK for them to go to their place up north doesn't mean concert promoters will start planing concerts.
Maybe you have more faith in people that I do. Once an inch is given, the mass population will take a foot.

·
Yooper In Training
7,050 Posts
Best argument for what faith is, right there.
Agreed. I'm more spiritual than anything myself because I don't feel like any one religion got it quite right, and the closed minded hypocritical religious zealots just completely turned me off to the prospect even though they're admittedly the minority. But I can get behind Jim's statement and belief. That's doing religion right.

Maybe you have more faith in people that I do. Once an inch is given, the mass population will take a foot.
I disagree about the mass population aspect, I think it'll definitely be in the minority, but still a large enough group to be very problematic in lots of different ways.

·
Desert Rat
7,009 Posts
I hope things open up soon. The country and our state need to get cash flowing again.
I gave some drywall work to a local. He appreciated the work.

That being said, WE have decided to continue the social distancing. I rode the ventilator for eight weeks, don't want to go back. April 19 is my other birthday, the day I woke out of the coma. I consider myself high risk.

We went out the other day to look about. People everywhere, trailhead parking lots all cars in them. When we saw people the groups were spaced out. We have gone to the beach and walked the shoreline. But, if people are there we go somewhere else. Im sure others do the same.

We fill up water jugs at a local spring. When there last week, while filling a couple pulled in behind us, 40' back. They smiled and waved. They waited until we were leaving to pull up I assume to do the same. Normally, I think they would have pulled up, got out and made chit-chat and talk about the weather. Not now.

My point being, WE can figure this out. Stay 6' apart, wash your hands, SHARE NOTHING!, wear a respirator, drink water, take motrin, change your socks, blah, blah, blah. WE will continue that, because WE are at risk. The rest of the population can figure out what works for them.

·
Desert Rat
7,009 Posts
Atleast the queen gov has created a task force to figure out why covid is racist.

"Never let a crisis go to waste"
The restart is the time to push for all those agenda items they cannot get through regular business.
Whitmer is not stupid, she just wants stupid things.

·
Old School
33,015 Posts
One of the electricians I work with is out for two weeks with a cough and fever.

I'm picking up his hours, so 7-12's for the next 14 days.

Don't know about other people, but this is really filling up my bank account :teehee:

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
FAWK!!!!!
Highest number of recorded deaths in Michigan today. 232
Uggg, and the curve was looking sooo nice. :(

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,883 Posts
FAWK!!!!!
Highest number of recorded deaths in Michigan today. 232
Uggg, and the curve was looking sooo nice. :(
"*Note on deaths (04/21/20): Regular reviews of death certificate data maintained in Vital Records reporting systems are conducted by MDHHS staff three times per week. As a part of this process, records that identify COVID-19 infection as a contributing factor to death are compared against all laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Michigan Disease Surveillance System (MDSS). If a death certificate is matched to a confirmed COVID-19 case and that record in the MDSS does not indicate the individual died, the MDSS record is updated to indicate the death and the appropriate local health department is notified. These matched deaths are then included with mortality information posted to the Michigan Coronavirus website. As a result of the most recent assessment, today’s data includes 95 additional deaths identified by this methodology."

TLDR: The number for today is inflated by 95 that they went back and found after reviewing the records.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
12,984 Posts
"*Note on deaths (04/21/20): Regular reviews of death certificate data maintained in Vital Records reporting systems are conducted by MDHHS staff three times per week. As a part of this process, records that identify COVID-19 infection as a contributing factor to death are compared against all laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Michigan Disease Surveillance System (MDSS). If a death certificate is matched to a confirmed COVID-19 case and that record in the MDSS does not indicate the individual died, the MDSS record is updated to indicate the death and the appropriate local health department is notified. These matched deaths are then included with mortality information posted to the Michigan Coronavirus website. As a result of the most recent assessment, today’s data includes 95 additional deaths identified by this methodology."

TLDR: The number for today is inflated by 95 that they went back and found after reviewing the records.
Even considering that it's still up 60 from the day before. But I'm more concerned with the number of new cases, which is also up.

701 - 720 of 1294 Posts