Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
2941 - 2960 of 2999 Posts

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
This is the type of crap that drives me insane as a moderate(and a pretty conservative leaning one at that). The libs did a lot of stupid shit, I'm not debating that at all. But at the end of the day so did the right. They immediately politicized it and turned it into an all out war and drove a lot of the division and extreme views. There was a lot of valid stuff that just got immediately dismissed and alienated because of politics, where the whole thing could have been handled reasonably if both sides hadn't been so damn pigheaded about it. Both played every card they had in their political arsenal, so as a result the actions, restrictions, views, and opinions got more and more extreme on both ends of the spectrum. But neither side is willing to acknowledge their part in it, they just play a giant game of whataboutism and point out the other side's problems rather than doing anything to fix their own. It went from a pandemic to a political talking point overnight and turned into the biggest societal shitshow of my lifetime.

Agreed. Accountability for the decision makers should happen 100% and not just related to covid, but at the end of the day it's pretty much just us vs them, and the more they continue to divide us, including with crap like this, the less power we wield to hold them accountable. Which brings me back to my whole point: some reasonable level of forgive and forget for some of the disagreements only helps to strengthen us as a society and gain more power to hold the asshats in charge accountable regardless of which side of the aisle they're on.
I do recall the left and I think it was kamela saying she was not taking any of those Trump vaccines. But when Biden was installed the vaccines were good and everybody should take them and If they didn't they were fired.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
It's weird how the vaccines got divided up along party lines, when Trump is the one who told the EPA to blow past every speed limit sign to approve them before the election, and kept telling everyone to take them even after he lost :LOL:

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,276 Posts
It's weird how the vaccines got divided up along party lines, when Trump is the one who told the EPA to blow past every speed limit sign to approve them before the election, and kept telling everyone to take them even after he lost :LOL:
Trump pushed operation Warp Speed too fast. The dems didn't like it. But as soon as Biden got in office, he started bragging about how fast "HE" was getting the vaccines distributed. The funny thing is that he was distributing the vaccines that Trump got started.

They are all full of shit and hypocrites.

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
Yep, you guys pretty much covered it. Hypocritical BS and finger pointing, take all the credit and distribute all the blame. It's pitiful but the nutswingers on both sides just eat it up and fan the flames.

My parents, especially my dad, are both super paranoid about all things covid. Really in general they're just scared of their own shadows, so this has been the perfect thing for them to be afraid of. They went months at a time in early-mid 2020 without seeing me or their grandkids because they were so paranoid and when they did it'd be on a nice day so we can be outside(I love being outside but it annoyed me on principle). Hell, Christmas 2020 had to be celebrated on our deck because inside socializing was too dangerous. It's ridiculous and very frustrating.

They've finally started to act more normal over the past year or so. Still not totally normal because that's just who they are, but tolerable. Then over the past few weeks they've both had a nasty case on bronchitis. Not covid(they both tested numerous times even though it wouldn't have changed anything), just regular old bronchitis from a regular old respiratory infection. Meds have helped and they're both improving. I talked to my dad last night and he's now scared of his own shadow again and went on about how he hasn't been careful enough(I was only half able to stifle my laughter), how he needs to wear masks in public during this time of year, how bad RSV is right now, blah, blah, blah. I tried discussing logically with him but might as well have been talking to a wall. They live to be afraid and it's beyond frustrating. My wife often wonders how I turned out normal after growing up with them.

Meanwhile my in-laws are the polar opposite and have just ignored the whole thing besides my MIL often spewing plenty of ignorant politicized nonsense along the way, but they've been much more enjoyable to be around and listen to. We spend a lot more time with them in general and it's a whole lot less exhausting and more enjoyable. Really the only thing they did different is that my MIL started ordering groceries online for someone to throw in the trunk for her, but that's more out of laziness than fear; she still does it that way today.

Neither set of parents has had covid as far as any of us know. My dad has had every shot and booster the world has to offer, my mom I'm pretty sure the same, my in laws haven't had a single shot. My MIL is the highest risk out of all of them so I hope she doesn't get it, but she'd probably be fine anyway. It's weird living in this middle ground while surrounded by crazies of both extremes. Surprise surprise, their political views perfectly match their covid views too.

Reactions: Jrgunn5150

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,276 Posts
My brother and his wife are pretty paranoid. But, he is a diabetic and cancer survivor in his late 60's so he has some reason to be careful. My dad (94) hibernated for about a year but has loosened up quite a bit. One of my wife's sisters is stupid scared. Everyone else seems pretty practical. Lots of other friends seemed to be super careful early on but have gotten pretty much back to normal.

My kids, wife and I pretty much never changed.

·
81 inches of fun
14,298 Posts
We haven't done anything different. Early on in 2020 we changed a bit, but quickly stayed pretty normal. My undergrad was in microbiology, and my wife's in molecular. She manages a covid lab. It played out as we both expected, maybe we got lucky. She only got shots when the hospital made it mandatory, and I waited until my job made it a pain not to be, only to retract the requirement a week after I did it because the mandates didn't happen. It was a cash cow for the hospital though.

There are only maybe 5 or 6 people in my extended family that are still careful, but they are morbidly obese, and liberal.

Meanwhile I have co-workers that have had every shot, many are on their 4th covid diagnosis. Both live in much more populated areas though.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I pointed out to someone in the medical field if you can find a Dr to write a prescription for Norco to just about anyone, should be able to find one to write a vaccine exemption.

Turned out, it's the same Dr. lol.

That persons Coworkers all got, and spread Covid more than once. He, also got and spread Covid, so far, only once.

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
We were pretty cautious early on but still lived our lives for the most part, which is easy since we live in the country, only have a few smaller groups we like to spend time with, and most of our hobbies involve secluded outdoor activities. We were definitely careful but weren't hiding in our bunker on a throne of toilet paper. Biggest changes were working from home, grocery shopping less frequently at odd hours so less people were around and shelves were better stocked, didn't go out to eat for a while(not that we were allowed to anyway) but did get carry out for variety and to support local restaurants....and of course dealing with my crazy parents. I was pissed our first couple camping trips for the season got cancelled due to Whitmer shutting down state parks, about the least dangerous activity in a pandemic. We wore masks when it was required, we didn't when it wasn't. We got a couple of the shots 6+ months after they were available and there were tens of millions of guinnea pigs out there, but aren't following the booster brigade every other week.

We really don't do much different now than we did 3 years ago. I still work from home 50-60% of the time which is a huge life improvement, but situation is normal otherwise. We're more cautious about being around sick people or exposing other people to us if we're sick, but IMO that's something that should have been the case long before covid anyway, now it's just more acceptable. No more guilting myself into going to work when I feel like shit and spreading whatever germs I have around the office, I'll just send my boss a text and log on from home.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,690 Posts
Thank you. I was working today away from my computer.
So what she actually said was she would not take Trump's word for it that it was safe. I wouldn't either. I would not take any president, or any other single person's word for it.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
So what she actually said was she would not take Trump's word for it that it was safe. I wouldn't either. I would not take any president, or any other single person's word for it.
When Biden made it into the oval office he said it was safe and people should take the jab so they won't catch covid. And if they didn't take it they were fired from their jobs.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,690 Posts
When Biden made it into the oval office he said it was safe and people should take the jab so they won't catch covid. And if they didn't take it they were fired from their jobs.
Yes, they did this unique thing called "learning". You should try it sometime.

• Haha
Reactions: aber61
2941 - 2960 of 2999 Posts