Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
2921 - 2940 of 2999 Posts

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
I didn't read the article but see the headline a little differently than you guys based on the "each other" aspect. I took it as all the polarized, hateful rhetoric toward one another should be more or less forgiven, not the .gov and their crap. Two entirely different situations IMO.

Government should be accountable to a large extent. Now I will say, a lot of what was done given the information known at the time wasn't as bad or unreasonable as people claim now. Certainly not all, but a fair amount. It's easy to look back with what we know now and talk about how stupid it was, but that's how hindsight works. It was all very new and everyone was learning still and being extra cautious in many cases. So we really need to look at it along with the information present at the time to judge fairly. Now I'm not saying there wasn't a lot of ridiculous and stupid garbage too because there absolutely was, but we can't logically dismiss everything based on that. It's not that black and white.

People should still be held accountable for what they said and did because there was a lot of nonsense from both sides too. But I took the headline of the article as urging people to forgive and forget, quit alienating each other based on differing views, and try to work together. Which is exactly the problem with social media and modern society in general, everything is so damn polarized and neither extreme is willing to look at the reality in the middle or even contemplate the idea that their viewpoint isn't the only one with merit. I tend to agree with that general idea of getting over our quarrels and trying to act like reasonable adults working together instead of against one another....not that I expect it to happen, but it sure would be nice.

Reactions: SHARPMACHINE

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,276 Posts
I have no sympathy for those that pushed stupide beliefs on others to the point of destroying business's and bankrupting people and mentally effecting a large part of our society. We've had swine flu, bird flue, aids, ......... the list of things that were going to destroy us is pretty long. Only with Covid did we force a complete shut down on society. Things like masks, when we know they don't help was over the top. Stopping doctors from prescribing medications like Ivermectin that they felt would help is a first for us. Especially since Ivermectin had history of being a safe drug. Censoring social media if it didn't meet the mainstream agenda. And then of course we started to encourage ratting out your neighbors for not complying. Protests in the streets, burning buildings. It's like we lost all common sense. So no, I have no forgiveness for this.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,690 Posts

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I have no sympathy for those that pushed stupide beliefs on others to the point of destroying business's and bankrupting people and mentally effecting a large part of our society. We've had swine flu, bird flue, aids, ......... the list of things that were going to destroy us is pretty long. Only with Covid did we force a complete shut down on society. Things like masks, when we know they don't help was over the top. Stopping doctors from prescribing medications like Ivermectin that they felt would help is a first for us. Especially since Ivermectin had history of being a safe drug. Censoring social media if it didn't meet the mainstream agenda. And then of course we started to encourage ratting out your neighbors for not complying. Protests in the streets, burning buildings. It's like we lost all common sense. So no, I have no forgiveness for this.

I am with the OLD DUDE!!! However this thing started, one power drunk party jumped all over this thing to line there pockets along with there constituents. I will never forget the BS they pulled, I will teach my kids and grand kids how the Left enjoyed squishing the life out of the best economy I have seen in my lifetime. And no I will never forgive.

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
Most of that I don't disagree with you on. It's also mostly the extremes, which tend to be a serious problem on both side of the aisle. There were plenty of reasonable precautions as well, but people tend to lump it all in together because it suits their agenda better to play it off as all black or all white rather than finding a reasonable middle ground. Just more of the polarized, hateful rhetoric from both sides.

Not worth arguing (again) about the points we disagree on because we're not changing each others minds at this point. The way I took that headline is relevant though....let's quit arguing about shit we'll never agree on, be better people and move forward, and realize that we likely agree on more than we don't and are all just too stubborn and pigheaded to admit it.

People out and about, shopping, roaming the stores, spreading their germs....

And screaming in peoples faces about masks and going to a restaurant was going to kill their grandma, deserve all the doxxing they get.
I agree on that, no one should have done that. Problem is, both sides are guilty of it and neither side is willing to take accountability for their part. I know several maskers who were yelled at my non maskers, called sheep, coughed on, etc and at least one or two non-maskers who had nearly the same happen in reverse. It's bullshit in either case but again, those are the extremes and not the norm. I don't believe that's the type of thing meant to be forgiven here, just the petty unnecessary day to day squabbles over this crap.

Reactions: whiterhino

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,690 Posts
Said the oppressor to the oppressed.
That's funny, I don't recall oppressing anyone. I have opinions about what I thought other people should do and did sometimes expressed them, but I didn't force anything on anyone. I did what I thought was right for me, and "knock on wood" had a 100% success rate. If I did get Covid, it was so mild I didn't notice it.

But I don't really care that much about what other do. If you want to stay bitter and angry for the rest of your life go a head. I don't care.

Reactions: Jrgunn5150

·
Cup holders & Rollbars
626 Posts
That's funny, I don't recall oppressing anyone. I have opinions about what I thought other people should do and did sometimes expressed them, but I didn't force anything on anyone. I did what I thought was right for me, and "knock on wood" had a 100% success rate. If I did get Covid, it was so mild I didn't notice it.

But I don't really care that much about what other do. If you want to stay bitter and angry for the rest of your life go a head. I don't care.
I should not have quoted you on this. I was referring to the article, author and The Atlantic.

You have been fair on this issue.

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
So basically the libs want forgiveness for all the shit they fucked up???
Seems normal for the people that are responsible for everything bad that happened during COVID to expect everyone else to forgive and forget. Sounds like typical behavior from my mil... who is now posting up propaganda for the mid terms.
This is the type of crap that drives me insane as a moderate(and a pretty conservative leaning one at that). The libs did a lot of stupid shit, I'm not debating that at all. But at the end of the day so did the right. They immediately politicized it and turned it into an all out war and drove a lot of the division and extreme views. There was a lot of valid stuff that just got immediately dismissed and alienated because of politics, where the whole thing could have been handled reasonably if both sides hadn't been so damn pigheaded about it. Both played every card they had in their political arsenal, so as a result the actions, restrictions, views, and opinions got more and more extreme on both ends of the spectrum. But neither side is willing to acknowledge their part in it, they just play a giant game of whataboutism and point out the other side's problems rather than doing anything to fix their own. It went from a pandemic to a political talking point overnight and turned into the biggest societal shitshow of my lifetime.

Personally I think these assholes need to know that stupid decisions that effect others will have negative consequences. I can't get over how bad they wanted to fuck Trump for things they didn't like but now want to have everyone just shrug it off and forget.
Agreed. Accountability for the decision makers should happen 100% and not just related to covid, but at the end of the day it's pretty much just us vs them, and the more they continue to divide us, including with crap like this, the less power we wield to hold them accountable. Which brings me back to my whole point: some reasonable level of forgive and forget for some of the disagreements only helps to strengthen us as a society and gain more power to hold the asshats in charge accountable regardless of which side of the aisle they're on.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Everything politicians did was 100% driven by either fear of not doing anything and being blamed... Imagine if DeSantis opened Florida and it was a 10% mortality rate? They'd have lynched him.

Or, trying to profit off the situation or protect their funding, interests, etc. Like Fauci and NIH playing word games about gain of function and what really happened in Wuhan.

·
Project Antitube
1,341 Posts
I'd like to think the people were making the best decisions they were capable of with the information they had. Some people are just stupid. Some of those are in a position to inflict harm with their stupidity.

I only have a problem with it when people are knowingly making poor decisions that adversely affect others and are hypocritical. Like Whitmer.

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,276 Posts
This is the type of crap that drives me insane as a moderate(and a pretty conservative leaning one at that). The libs did a lot of stupid shit, I'm not debating that at all. But at the end of the day so did the right. They immediately politicized it and turned it into an all out war and drove a lot of the division and extreme views. There was a lot of valid stuff that just got immediately dismissed and alienated because of politics, where the whole thing could have been handled reasonably if both sides hadn't been so damn pigheaded about it. Both played every card they had in their political arsenal, so as a result the actions, restrictions, views, and opinions got more and more extreme on both ends of the spectrum. But neither side is willing to acknowledge their part in it, they just play a giant game of whataboutism and point out the other side's problems rather than doing anything to fix their own. It went from a pandemic to a political talking point overnight and turned into the biggest societal shitshow of my lifetime.

Agreed. Accountability for the decision makers should happen 100% and not just related to covid, but at the end of the day it's pretty much just us vs them, and the more they continue to divide us, including with crap like this, the less power we wield to hold them accountable. Which brings me back to my whole point: some reasonable level of forgive and forget for some of the disagreements only helps to strengthen us as a society and gain more power to hold the asshats in charge accountable regardless of which side of the aisle they're on.
I can forgive people who drank the Koolaid but not in a malicious manner, and there are many who fit this catagory. Whitmer on the other hand was doing it for power. I have no compassion for her. Nor do I forgive those Karens who were violent towards anyone who didn't agree with them.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,384 Posts
Personally I think these assholes need to know that stupid decisions that effect others will have negative consequences. I can't get over how bad they wanted to fuck Trump for things they didn't like but now want to have everyone just shrug it off and forget.
That's really it in a nut shell to me

Reactions: 1x1_Speed_Craig

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,690 Posts
So basically the libs want forgiveness for all the shit they fucked up???
Seems normal for the people that are responsible for everything bad that happened during COVID to expect everyone else to forgive and forget. Sounds like typical behavior from my mil... who is now posting up propaganda for the mid terms.
No. The author of that article was against school closings and generally thinks restrictions went too far for too long.

2921 - 2940 of 2999 Posts