Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
2461 - 2480 of 2506 Posts

·
Yooper In Training
7,461 Posts
My thinking is that we as a country cannot immunize everyone every six months. We need to live with what's going on. We get sick and get better and live our lives. We cannot live in a state of panic and fear as the powers that be want us to. They, the media and government report on it multiple times a day 24/7/365 now since it all began. Living in a state of panic and fear is unhealthy for everyone.
While I agree, I don't think that's anyone's long term plan. As we've talked about countless times, the hope and expectation is that this will eventually evolve into something more in line with the flu. It'll still spread, it'll still kill, but it'll be manageable for day to day life. Just like the flu. Hell, it already is compared to where we were with previous waves, but if you look at hospitalizations and death, it's still a big problem. The fear mongering is annoying no doubt. Some is warranted, some is for ratings because fear sells. The omicron variant's severity is a step in that direction of a milder manageable virus, problem is it's also become the most contagious virus of our lifetimes, so the high caseloads are enough to overwhelm hospitals even with the lower likelihood of severe disease. Between high caseloads and vaccines it'll hopefully run out of viable hosts quickly and get us closer to some level of normalcy. They're already saying number of active cases is less relevant this go round, which I agree with, but hospitalizations were already at a problematic level thanks to delta and the coming weeks are likely to be very, very ugly in that regard. A lot of people are going to die who shouldn't, but hopefully once we're past that we'll be well on our way to this being endemic. And hopefully another nasty variant doesn't come along and flip that plan on its lid.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,753 Posts
While I agree, I don't think that's anyone's long term plan. As we've talked about countless times, the hope and expectation is that this will eventually evolve into something more in line with the flu. It'll still spread, it'll still kill, but it'll be manageable for day to day life. Just like the flu. Hell, it already is compared to where we were with previous waves, but if you look at hospitalizations and death, it's still a big problem. The fear mongering is annoying no doubt. Some is warranted, some is for ratings because fear sells. The omicron variant's severity is a step in that direction of a milder manageable virus, problem is it's also become the most contagious virus of our lifetimes, so the high caseloads are enough to overwhelm hospitals even with the lower likelihood of severe disease. Between high caseloads and vaccines it'll hopefully run out of viable hosts quickly and get us closer to some level of normalcy. They're already saying number of active cases is less relevant this go round, which I agree with, but hospitalizations were already at a problematic level thanks to delta and the coming weeks are likely to be very, very ugly in that regard. A lot of people are going to die who shouldn't, but hopefully once we're past that we'll be well on our way to this being endemic. And hopefully another nasty variant doesn't come along and flip that plan on its lid.
Yep. I realize that it's not really the common cold (as I sarcastically stated a few posts back) but thankfully it is not very severe. I'm struggling to understand that if the severity is down and the death rates are down, why are people flocking to the hospitals? Hopefully it will die down soon. In the meantime, has anyone watched the Robert Malone interview or seen the video that got him banned from Twitter? Both are very enlightening............

·
Yooper In Training
7,461 Posts
Yep. I realize that it's not really the common cold (as I sarcastically stated a few posts back) but thankfully it is not very severe. I'm struggling to understand that if the severity is down and the death rates are down, why are people flocking to the hospitals? Hopefully it will die down soon. In the meantime, has anyone watched the Robert Malone interview or seen the video that got him banned from Twitter? Both are very enlightening............
Hospitalizations were already sky high from the delta variant, we were kinda up shit creek(with a paddle at least, for now) even before omicron showed up. So the baseline was at a bad spot already, many places already at or near capacity, so we're not in a good place right now with what's on the horizon. And that's not just media fearmongering, I have several friends who are local ICU and ER nurses and it's a very real problem.

All that pre-existing issue aside, omicron I believe is about 1/3 as likely to land someone in the hospital, but many projections I've seen are anticipating close to a tenfold increase in caseloads based on what's already happened elsewhere. So that would be about 3.33 times as many hospitalizations just based on the sheer number of cases. Now since our baseline was already so much higher I don't expect we'll see 10 times the cases, but it's still going to make a bad situation significantly worse.

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Don't just love that feeling when WE agree ;)
Things are looking like this is going to mute into something much less serious than what it started out as. But you never know. I caught it and figured I just picked up a head cold. Then I realized I had a fever, actually my wife did. She said you look hot and took my temp. Yup 100.3. So I started with airborne and vit c and d and hit the couch, for two days. Then the cough and headache and sore throat and achy feeling all over. A week later my wife says she doesn't feel so great and was able to get us into the doc to get a test. Next day we get the results and we are both positive. During my ordeal I realized it was a little more than a cold or flu bug. It just felt different. Today my wife's doctor told her to get the monocolonal antibody infusion. She set it up for her and told her to go. These infusions are limited to who can get them and my wife was a prime candidate. Her doctor told her that if you are going to get worse it will happen between days 10 and day 14 of the first day of feeling sick. My wife is at day 6.
Testing is something that does have me concerned. It is the stick they ram almost your brain. It burned my sinus cavity from the time of the test at 2 in the afternoon till late the next day. Does anybody know what chemical is soaked in those swabs and where they are made?

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,753 Posts
Yes, sure makes you go hmmmmmm. There are 3 Joe Rogan podcasts that are very enlightening. There's also the video that got Malone banned from Twitter which has a lot of interesting data.

·
Project Antitube
1,105 Posts
I'm still waiting for Biden to execute his plan, we'll all be safe once he starts executing on his campaign promises.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,270 Posts

·
Low Range Drifter
8,589 Posts
...with 1 kid in public school and 1 in preschool.....and in our area neither has required and largely doesn't use masks since they started in August.
My wife works in a school setting with kids with special needs. Since July 2020 she has been in person and none of the children wear masks. Maybe it will change with omicron, but it's been amazing to see how little covid has been in their school building. Or maybe it has and because there is minimal testing and little impact to younger people that nobody knows?

The only person I remember my wife saying someone got covid was when a coworker got it from her daughter..

·
Yooper In Training
7,461 Posts
My wife works in a school setting with kids with special needs. Since July 2020 she has been in person and none of the children wear masks. Maybe it will change with omicron, but it's been amazing to see how little covid has been in their school building. Or maybe it has and because there is minimal testing and little impact to younger people that nobody knows?

The only person I remember my wife saying someone got covid was when a coworker got it from her daughter..
Yeah I've been pleasantly surprised how well it's gone for my kids too. Last year my son was in kindergarten and everyone in the district was masked. I didn't expect it to last long before going remote, but they went the entire year with no issues and no quarantines or scares for his class. This year masks are "highly recommended" in the district but almost no one wears them. The whole class was quarantined for a few days this fall because of 2 covid cases within his class. I think he only had 2 days of remote learning. It wasn't longer because by the time they found out about it almost a week had already passed.

Of course I say all this and he's currently at home sick. He woke up yesterday with a cough, sore throat, and hoarse voice. It's probably omicron, I can't see how it wouldn't be with current caseloads. My wife was randomly super tired yesterday, which is unlike her. Seems fine today though. I feel fine but last night my face felt hot so I took my temp and had a fever. Woke up this morning with a headache but little to no fever. I'm tired and sore, but I busted my ass on yesterday prepping and painting my basement ceiling, so I'd feel that way whether I have the bug or not. Still stayed home to be safe, hopefully it doesn't get worse from here.

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Yeah I've been pleasantly surprised how well it's gone for my kids too. Last year my son was in kindergarten and everyone in the district was masked. I didn't expect it to last long before going remote, but they went the entire year with no issues and no quarantines or scares for his class. This year masks are "highly recommended" in the district but almost no one wears them. The whole class was quarantined for a few days this fall because of 2 covid cases within his class. I think he only had 2 days of remote learning. It wasn't longer because by the time they found out about it almost a week had already passed.

Of course I say all this and he's currently at home sick. He woke up yesterday with a cough, sore throat, and hoarse voice. It's probably omicron, I can't see how it wouldn't be with current caseloads. My wife was randomly super tired yesterday, which is unlike her. Seems fine today though. I feel fine but last night my face felt hot so I took my temp and had a fever. Woke up this morning with a headache but little to no fever. I'm tired and sore, but I busted my ass on yesterday prepping and painting my basement ceiling, so I'd feel that way whether I have the bug or not. Still stayed home to be safe, hopefully it doesn't get worse from here.
Sounds like the same thing I had. I tested and it was positive.

·
Gustafson
10,234 Posts
Sounds the same as what I had too.

My wife started to display the same symptoms I had about a week after me. She went and got tested this morning.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,753 Posts
My wife's work is the polar opposite. She works in a private Autism clinic. They have had several bouts of Covid, as recently as last week. She has been directly exposed but has not contracted it, and has been tested 3 or 4 times in the last 6 or so weeks. Her antibody levels are quite low (3.4) but we pound the vitamins & zinc daily. And when she was super exposed, she took a preventative dose of Ivermectin (oh heaven forbid ahhhh!!!) and she has done the peroxide breathing treatment a few times.

So still good on the home front......... However, I'm a bit concerned about my dad. I spoke to him this morning and he was hoarse and said he had a cough and sniffles. He has been vaxed and boosted but he's still 93..........

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
My wife's work is the polar opposite. She works in a private Autism clinic. They have had several bouts of Covid, as recently as last week. She has been directly exposed but has not contracted it, and has been tested 3 or 4 times in the last 6 or so weeks. Her antibody levels are quite low (3.4) but we pound the vitamins & zinc daily. And when she was super exposed, she took a preventative dose of Ivermectin (oh heaven forbid ahhhh!!!) and she has done the peroxide breathing treatment a few times.

So still good on the home front......... However, I'm a bit concerned about my dad. I spoke to him this morning and he was hoarse and said he had a cough and sniffles. He has been vaxed and boosted but he's still 93..........
Sounds like you are doing everything to keep healthy. My wife's friend works in the healthcare industry and suggested a combo of zinc, quercetin, vit.D and vit.C. Says it has helped a lot of people stay healthy

·
Yooper In Training
7,461 Posts
As the day goes on I'm still a little skeptical if what we have in my house is actually covid or not. My son woke up yesterday with a dry cough and hoarse voice. Both symptoms are still there but already quite a bit better today.

My fever last night was weird. My face looked sunburned and felt hot, but it got covered with a shitload of dryfall ceiling paint for the bulk of the afternoon so it was probably from skin irritation. I don't know why/how that would cause a fever though; although IIRC I've had the same thing happen after an actual sunburn using our temporal scan thermometer. My face felt hot and it was. Though I tried it in my ears last night too and had the same results. No fevers today. Headache this morning wasn't anything unusual and went away after a couple aspirin. My general aches and pains are par for the course with how hard I worked yesterday and how much I was contorting myself. I half expected to get worse throughout the day but I feel pretty normal across the board. Who knows, still playing it safe for the time being.

·
Yooper In Training
7,461 Posts
Update: My son is another step better today. Lots more energy, still a slight cough and slightly hoarse but much better. He's still home from school though. Everyone else in the house is fine. Probably not covid but who knows. Still plenty of time for us to catch whatever he has/had.

·
Gustafson
10,234 Posts
I am glad to hear he's feeling better! Hopefully it's not covid. (unless you want it to be....lol)

·
Yooper In Training
7,461 Posts
I am glad to hear he's feeling better! Hopefully it's not covid. (unless you want it to be....lol)
I wouldn't mind the antibodies at this point, especially if it's going to be this mild, but I'm certainly not quite to the point of hoping to catch covid. It seems like even "mild covid" is typically worse than any of what we've had thus far.

2461 - 2480 of 2506 Posts