Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
2281 - 2300 of 2337 Posts

·
Yooper In Training
7,428 Posts
I take precautions against Covid for the same reason I look both ways before crossing a street and wear my seat\belt when driving. It's not fear, it's just basic precautions.
If God wanted you to get hit by a car, it will hit you regardless. Just go for it, man. Let your faith guide you.

• Haha
Reactions: aber61

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
My parents won't get over it. They live in fear of everything, it's frustrating as hell for me, it was when I was growing up too. It's just how they're wired. Covid is just the perfect thing for them to obsess over now. When that's no longer a threat they'll find something else to unnecessarily stress over. It's unfortunate.

I'm nowhere near that level. I was more worried at first, as I'm sure plenty of my posts and debates showed, but that's obviously backed way down as we/I learned more. I'm still conscious of it and follow most of the latest with case rates, learnings about the virus and treatments, etc, but I don't let it control my day to day life. I'm not going to bury my head in the sand and say "what happens happens", I still practice basic reasonable precautions, but I feel that's a good happy medium. We can't ignore it away, nor can we put our lives on hold and hide from it.
it is unfortunate that they can't get away from that kind of thinking. It is a compulsive way of thinking and allowing it to take over every day thoughts. I'm glad you could pull away and take control over your thoughts. Living in fear can destroy your life. Always worried about the next boogie man around the corner can be draining on a person. My wife tends to be fearful and I remind her that there is nothing to fear except fear itself. Take control of that thought. Its like walking yourself off the edge of a cliff so to speak.
Highlighted in red is what we all need to focus on.
I remember Fauci saying in the very beginning that this will be like a very bad flu season and other doctors have said that this bug is like a bad flu.
Carry on with life, a little more cautious but carry on.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,570 Posts
I take precautions against Covid for the same reason I look both ways before crossing a street and wear my seat\belt when driving. It's not fear, it's just basic precautions.
Basic precautions are good. Looking both ways before crossing is one thing, never crossing the street and yelling at others who do cross the street is another.

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
I read something the other day it describes the situation in America.

If you have to be persuaded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, reminded, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt tripped, threatened, paid, punished and criminalized.
If all this is considered necessary to gain your compliance you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest.

We have witnessed our gov do every one of these things to us in an attempt to make us comply.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,262 Posts

If you have to be persuaded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, reminded, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt tripped, threatened, paid, punished and criminalized.
If all this is considered necessary to gain your compliance you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest.

We have witnessed our gov do every one of these things to us in an attempt to make us comply.
I think you just described the American political system....

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Yooper In Training
7,428 Posts
Basic precautions are good. Looking both ways before crossing is one thing, never crossing the street and yelling at others who do cross the street is another.
Spot on and well put.

Sounds like a very closed minded and one sided viewpoint. Someone just trying to reaffirm their own beliefs. I do not agree with the push, the coercion, the incentives, the mandates, commercials, you name it. The harder they push the less I generally trust it, I agree with that. It's makes my heavily libertarian leaning viewpoint itchy all over. But let's look at why they even need to: the country and society in general are just so blindly and aggressively divided that people are spewing nonsense left and right. It's all politicized and many people are ignoring any amount of logic, reasonable discussion, or asking nicely. They'll quite literally fight it to the death just because it doesn't align with their politics. That's unreasonable and irresponsible.
Right or wrong, they can't get enough people to do so voluntarily for all those reasons. There are plenty of valid reasons people have to question the vaccine, we've discussed that plenty here. There are also plenty of ridiculous and disproven reasons too, and that's what they're fighting against. They're not going to change those peoples' minds, so they're forcing it on all but the most devoted of those people because asking nicely didn't work. Problem is, in the process they're alienating a bunch more people who were already on the fence about it but probably would have voluntarily gotten the jab sooner or later. It's lose-lose. They had multiple ways to handle it, some they've done a halfway decent job of, some they royally screwed up. Either way someone ends up pissed off. The trick is looking at it opening from a viewpoint that isn't your own and doesn't align with your own just for the sake of trying to understand why the other side feels the way they do. There aren't nearly enough people willing to do that in this day and age, and that statement absolutely does not apply to only the vaccine or covid. It's like a damn super power anymore.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,570 Posts

Government should stop trying to replace religion.

·
Yooper In Training
7,428 Posts
Shots fired!

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
Spot on and well put.

Sounds like a very closed minded and one sided viewpoint. Someone just trying to reaffirm their own beliefs. I do not agree with the push, the coercion, the incentives, the mandates, commercials, you name it. The harder they push the less I generally trust it, I agree with that. It's makes my heavily libertarian leaning viewpoint itchy all over. But let's look at why they even need to: the country and society in general are just so blindly and aggressively divided that people are spewing nonsense left and right. It's all politicized and many people are ignoring any amount of logic, reasonable discussion, or asking nicely. They'll quite literally fight it to the death just because it doesn't align with their politics. That's unreasonable and irresponsible.
Right or wrong, they can't get enough people to do so voluntarily for all those reasons. There are plenty of valid reasons people have to question the vaccine, we've discussed that plenty here. There are also plenty of ridiculous and disproven reasons too, and that's what they're fighting against. They're not going to change those peoples' minds, so they're forcing it on all but the most devoted of those people because asking nicely didn't work. Problem is, in the process they're alienating a bunch more people who were already on the fence about it but probably would have voluntarily gotten the jab sooner or later. It's lose-lose. They had multiple ways to handle it, some they've done a halfway decent job of, some they royally screwed up. Either way someone ends up pissed off. The trick is looking at it opening from a viewpoint that isn't your own and doesn't align with your own just for the sake of trying to understand why the other side feels the way they do. There aren't nearly enough people willing to do that in this day and age, and that statement absolutely does not apply to only the vaccine or covid. It's like a damn super power anymore.
It's like when I first read that I said to myself, "this is almost exactly what the powers that be had been doing to everyone to get them to take the jab". and I wonder what is their endgame by pushing something on us to this extent? Even to individuals that have had covid with strong antibodies. I can see people(the elderly) that could be affected by catching it getting a shot. It's lie they want everybody to get it. Now it's been approved for little kids as young as 5.
Could it be a push to enrich big pharma? I don't think so. I think there is more to it. Control and compliance. Who will and who won't?

·
Yooper In Training
7,428 Posts
It's like when I first read that I said to myself, "this is almost exactly what the powers that be had been doing to everyone to get them to take the jab". and I wonder what is their endgame by pushing something on us to this extent? Even to individuals that have had covid with strong antibodies. I can see people(the elderly) that could be affected by catching it getting a shot. It's lie they want everybody to get it. Now it's been approved for little kids as young as 5.
Could it be a push to enrich big pharma? I don't think so. I think there is more to it. Control and compliance. Who will and who won't?
Or maybe they want to do something REALLY crazy, like you know, maybe end the pandemic and bring back some sense of normalcy to society and the economy. Crazy concept, right?

Reactions: brewmenn and aber61

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
Or maybe they want to do something REALLY crazy, like you know, maybe end the pandemic and bring back some sense of normalcy to society and the economy. Crazy concept, right?
That would be awesome, but I don't see what is going on right now in our government going on the direction of getting back to normal. I see big government growing leaps and bounds larger as the spending goes through the roof.

·
Yooper In Training
7,428 Posts
That would be awesome, but I don't see what is going on right now in our government going on the direction of getting back to normal. I see big government growing leaps and bounds larger as the spending goes through the roof.
True, but also almost completely irrelevant to the vaccine push. You can't see the forest for the trees, you're too busy looking for reasons to distrust the other side. I'd bet dollars to donuts if Trump's cronies were the ones pushing this you'd be eating it up hook, line, and sinker. You need to learn to look at things on a much broader spectrum than your own personal viewpoints. It's much more productive.

That's not to say there's not all kinds of shady stuff happening and not lots of people pushing agendas and profiting greatly from all this, but that doesn't negate the actual end goal for the majority. You're throwing out the whole book just because you don't like one page.

Reactions: brewmenn and Zjman

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
True, but also almost completely irrelevant to the vaccine push. You can't see the forest for the trees, you're too busy looking for reasons to distrust the other side. I'd bet dollars to donuts if Trump's cronies were the ones pushing this you'd be eating it up hook, line, and sinker. You need to learn to look at things on a much broader spectrum than your own personal viewpoints. It's much more productive.

That's not to say there's not all kinds of shady stuff happening and not lots of people pushing agendas and profiting greatly from all this, but that doesn't negate the actual end goal for the majority. You're throwing out the whole book just because you don't like one page.
I do realize that there are bad republicans as well. they have their agenda just like the dems.

As for the jab, I was never a vaccine person. Never had a flu shot every. Doctors would ask every time I went in for a check up and they would ask and tell me its better to get it than catch the flu. I would pass.
Not a fan of sticking crap in my body, really. I don't even like to take anything for a headache. I will if it get bad but not normally.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,296 ·

Sorry for another one of my dumb questions.... But to what percentage do you believe, at this time, that all of that would happen if everyone got vaccinated right now?

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,873 Posts
Sorry for another one of my dumb questions.... But to what percentage do you believe, at this time, that all of that would happen if everyone got vaccinated right now?
You just asked someone for an answer and unanswerable question with the expectation that their lack of an answer, is the "proof" that their wrong.

I see it as, we have an option to help solve a problem, proven to work (as much as it could be proven with the time at hand), and people are still asking that question: What can we do?. There's already been several answers, but it's apparently not good enough. Wear a mask; " we can't". Get vaccinated "we can't". Stay out of large groups; "we can't".

The question keeps being asked, when it's already been answered, What can we do? Except the problem seems to be that it's not the answer that people want, or think it should be. The question of "what would happen" is only ever going to be answered when it actually happens. Until everyone gets vaccinated, literally nobody is going to know what would actually happen.

Reactions: brewmenn and Zjman

·
Yooper In Training
7,428 Posts
It would have to be worldwide, because if other places aren't heavily vaccinated there's more chance for additional spread there, additional mutations that may or may not evade vaccines, etc. Nothing will remain isolated long, it'll spread elsewhere. So unless it's the entire world's population, it's a roll of the dice.

Now assuming that were done and EVERYONE were vaccinated(or natural immunities from previous infections), I think within a couple months covid would largely be an afterthought. It's not going away, probably ever, but if the entire world were vaccinated we'd likely be into single digit percentages of breakthrough cases, the vast majority of which would just be another cold. It would be like living in 2019 again, except for the fact that we're all more aware and will likely continue to practice some of the lessons learned which would result in less colds and flus overall. We'll go to work less with the sniffles, we'll keep our distance, we'll wash hands and sanitize more, etc. It'll cease to be any more of a threat than the countless other bugs that are always circulating in the population. There are still those who are immunocompromised or have dangerous underlying issues, and some of them will still get very sick or die just like they did before for various other ailments. But in general it'd just be another cold because viable hosts will be all but gone. It's a parasite, without hosts it can't replicate and spread.

As far as society and the economy, well that's dependent on a lot more than just the virus. Society is a shitshow, I don't see that changing any time soon but I'm hopeful we can at least start making progress. The economy is obviously very complex. Some areas would get better, like supply chain issues, hopefully people would get back to work more, hopefully inflation would slow down, but lots of stuff is on a new path already that isn't going to change direction until a bubble bursts. The profiteering in the steel industry is no longer due to the pandemic, but maybe if things get more normal and people have less money to burn it'll be forced to normalize again. Same with the housing market, although that'll likely continue to climb until that bubble bursts too. All signs point that we're headed toward a significant recession, but the pandemic and the behaviors surrounding it could make a huge difference in how far things drop and for how long. It's not all magically going to get better when covid is an afterthought, but it's an important step in the right direction.

Reactions: SHARPMACHINE

·
Yooper In Training
7,428 Posts
If the vax is so important, why are congress and the illegals being flown around the country at night exempt?
From what I hear from a friend in the middle of all the mess in DC, the vast majority of congress and their aides are vaccinated already despite what they spew to appeal to voters. They shouldn't be exempt though, just like they should have to live under any other rules and laws they establish for the rest of us. Certainly not going to claim I agree with that.

You'll have to elaborate a bit on the "illegals being flown around the country at night" comment, preferably with sources.

2281 - 2300 of 2337 Posts